Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you think of the Cheese Challenge?

(58 Posts)
jcmayj Mon 04-Mar-19 01:51:37

I've posted a link to a news article that explains what I'm talking about.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/bizarre-reason-parents-throwing-slices-14081047.amp

Had a friend that uploaded a video on fb today of her attempting it numerous times with her DC.

AIBU to just think it's a bit weird? confused

steff13 Mon 04-Mar-19 02:11:15

Ugh, I'm so tired of people.

jcmayj Mon 04-Mar-19 02:18:11

@steff13 ?

steff13 Mon 04-Mar-19 02:23:11

I'm tired of people doing things like throwing cheese. 🤷

Littlepond Mon 04-Mar-19 02:33:54

I think it’s fucking awful

LilQueenie Mon 04-Mar-19 02:43:02

Do it to another adult but a baby, that's child abuse is it not?

TeddyIsaHe Mon 04-Mar-19 02:47:05

I wish people would put this much effort into doing something about poverty or climate change. Who the fuck thinks throwing cheese at your own child is funny? I hate people.

PyongyangKipperbang Mon 04-Mar-19 02:57:12

Oh is that what this is about?!

Someone shared this on FB and my first thought was "This isnt funny and is bordering on cruel". I had no idea what it was all about.

Frankly its pathetic. If the most notable thing you can share on SM about you and your child is you confusing and frightening them because other people, who you dont know, think its funny then you need to rethink you parenting. Or maybe even try parenting instead of treating your child as a prop for your videos.

BiltongBetty Mon 04-Mar-19 02:59:55

"I wish people would put this much effort into doing something about poverty or climate change."

This in spades. People have always been fucking ridiculous but social media really shines a light on just how stupid we can be.

PyongyangKipperbang Mon 04-Mar-19 03:00:27

Further

"Oh I will throw cheese at my kid because everyone else is doing it!"

As my mother would say

"If everyone else was throwing themselves off a cliff would you do that too?!"

strawberrisc Mon 04-Mar-19 03:02:08

My Dad would have been so into this 42 years ago and I adore him.

I’m in the minority who thinks it’s fucking hilarious.

TeddyIsaHe Mon 04-Mar-19 04:17:39

@strawberrisc it says a lot about you as a person that you find scaring and confusing babies hilarious. How sad.

TheQueef Mon 04-Mar-19 04:30:08

I couldn't waste the cheese.
Just put it on crackers and eat it watching telly.
Cheese really isn't difficult.

PumpkinJuk Mon 04-Mar-19 04:36:27

Attention seeking twattery now with added cheese.
It's ridiculous and a bit mean.

Myfoolishboatisleaning Mon 04-Mar-19 05:34:27

lilqueenie, no. It’s not.

jcmayj Mon 04-Mar-19 08:55:58

I thought I'd get flamed and everyone would say how funny it is, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it isn't.

Felt so bad for the child I saw on my fb, he looked so confused when his mother kept throwing it at him repeatedly! It's not like he can talk to tell her to stop.

dontgobaconmyheart Mon 04-Mar-19 09:04:50

It just seems puerile and unnecessary, it's difficult to believe that any adults have the time and inclination to actually go and do this stuff and film it tbh, it reflects pretty poorly on them and its s shame they can't realise. Degrading a baby and wasting food for likes is weird.

PickledLimes Mon 04-Mar-19 09:11:20

I didn't know that this was a thing but I saw a gif on Reddit of someone doing this. The baby looked confused and frightened. Why the hell anyone would do this because of some pathetic internet challenge I do not understand. No it may not harm them physically but it's still very disrespectful and I wouldn't care to be hit in the face with a slice of cheese so I don't imagine that a baby would either. Before anyone says it yes there are worse things in the world but that doesn't make it any less twattish.

Anniegetyourgun Mon 04-Mar-19 09:11:28

If the baby laughs, it's all good. If it doesn't, fucking cut that out now. Reminds me of that dreadful show You've Been Framed, decades ago, or it may have been another channel's version of it, where they seemed to think it was really funny to show pictures of children falling off swings or being knocked over by dogs. Put the camera down and stop that child hurting itself ffs!!!

Throwing slices of cheese is less dangerous but just... why? confused

Brilliantidiot Mon 04-Mar-19 09:26:05

I don't get it...... I can't see any way this is funny at all?
Maybe if by some accident the cheese had ended up on someone's face, completely by accident, while being filmed...........
seriously struggling to think of that scenario
But even then it might raise half a smile.......
I don't understand people. The baby won't have a clue what is going on and, just, why? What's the point?

MissionItsPossible Mon 04-Mar-19 09:38:43

Stupid sheeple.

IWantChocolates Mon 04-Mar-19 09:47:51

Plus, it's not really a challenge if it's so easy to do, is it?

IWantChocolates Mon 04-Mar-19 09:49:10

If people want to do a challenge there are lots of difficult things that would raise money for charity or something. Calling this a challenge is stupid, it's being horrible to babies for no reason.

easyandy101 Mon 04-Mar-19 09:52:55

Saw the video on Friday night and we talked about how it was cruel doing it to a baby cos it probably took loads of goes

Then we got some cheese out and threw it at each other's faces and it did indeed take loads of turns

The cheese was mostly eaten except one bit got furry and I eventually managed to stick one on my mates face 😎

Fatbutt Mon 04-Mar-19 11:23:47

this isn't new though - there was one where you threw cheese at a dog... i think it was last year.

made me laugh because we used to do that anyway to our dog... knowing she would catch it because she loved cheese! (unless there was medication in it... she knew!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »