Talk

Advanced search

To think I shouldn't have to pay for the missed hygienist appointment

(108 Posts)
quittinaeete Sun 03-Mar-19 18:52:14

My dentist sent me an appointment reminder by email with the wrong date and I added it to my phone calendar.

They sent out a correction just via email an hour after this and I didn't read it. They have my address and phone number but didn't get in touch.

So now I've missed an appointment and they've charged me £120 for this, I did have an appointment a few days later and paid £120 for this. But they've sent an invoice by post.

Aibu to think they made a mistake and should have made more of an effort to inform me?

quittinaeete Tue 05-Mar-19 17:06:45

Turns out it was all a mistake and they apologised profusely and said it was down to a new member of staff.

JazzerMcJazzer Tue 05-Mar-19 17:36:33

Brilliant! Common sense prevailed.

BeanTownNancy Tue 05-Mar-19 17:51:42

Phew!

I was going to say, seems a bit dodgy that the dentist could theoretically make a bunch of double-bookings to fill empty slots and then turn around and say that it's your fault for not noticing their error.

quittinaeete Tue 05-Mar-19 18:04:26

Pretty glad it's sorted without any fuss!

Think lots here were acting as if the dentist and I have an equal relationship, when that's not what a customer to buisness relationship is.

Rather amusingly they have a paragraph on their site saying emails to cancel appointments are not valid and you need to phone.

Dauphinois Tue 05-Mar-19 19:13:07

@quittinaeete you can stop gmail doing the weird stacking up thing by going to the setting and switching off 'conversation view'.

I manage a busy gmail inbox at work and find it much easier to deal with emails as they arrive in chronological order, rather than the conversation view that gmail defaults to.

quittinaeete Tue 05-Mar-19 19:26:24

Thanks I did try it turned off, but I'm a bit to used to it now.

It works 90% of the time and for the dentist would have worked if they sent out an email that was different - either in subject or body. I'll have a tweak with my filters to see if that can fix it

fascicle Wed 06-Mar-19 09:13:21

Think lots here were acting as if the dentist and I have an equal relationship, when that's not what a customer to buisness relationship is.

I think a lot of posters - me included - could not understand why you seemed to rely on an e-mail reminder service (whilst not checking all e-mails from your dentist) and don't appear to have diarised the appointment in the first place. If your e-mail service has certain quirks, then you have to factor that in to how you deal wih your e-mails. I don't think this is anything to do with expecting you to have an 'equal relationship' with your dentist.

DoJo Wed 06-Mar-19 22:29:33

Am I the only one who can imagine getting an email with a date that differed very slightly from the one I had down and thinking 'Oops - I managed to write my hygenist appointment down for the wrong date - good job they emailed, now I can go on the right date.' rather than automatically realising that the first email was sent in error?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »