Advanced search

To go to the doctor for this....

(35 Posts)
doris9034 Sun 03-Mar-19 18:25:02

Name changed as I'm quite embarrassed by thisblush
Have had on going issues with my back for months - but not like normal backache. This is really low down - like rightvatvthe top of my buttocks - and is more of a pulling / spasm feeling rather than anything in the bones or a muscular thing iyswim. Sometimes this feeling can spread a bit lower and round the front so hips, pelvis etc. Is uncomfortable but not unmanageable and I've never taken any painkillers cos I can't swallow them
Just before Christmas I had too much wine a fall, and landed hard on my cocyx which has also been painful - so not sure of this has exacerbated the original issue.
Anyway, I made the fatal mistake of consulting doctor Google, and am now really worries I may have ovarian cancer. I looked at the other symptoms, and apart from some bloating I don't really have them..... so I do think I'm probably just being a hypochondriac.
I do however have a Dr appt for weds .... aibu?

doris9034 Sun 03-Mar-19 18:25:22

Name change fail!! Oh well.....

Confusedbeetle Sun 03-Mar-19 18:29:49

This is not a doctors clinic

theconstantinoplegardener Sun 03-Mar-19 18:30:07

I don't think this is unreasonable. The pain has continued for months and it's uncomfortable; your GP will hopefully be able to rule out a serious cause and refer you for physio or suggest something to relieve the pain. This sort of thing is the bread and butter of most GP practices!

RandomMess Sun 03-Mar-19 18:31:10

You may be better off going to an osteopath I get pain like this just due to tight ligaments/soft tissue and need stretching out!

chestnut9 Sun 03-Mar-19 18:35:07

I've had a very similar problem before - felt like pulling/pressure around my coccyx, lower back and front of hips too. It's a mechanical issue with my pelvis alignment. Pilates helped no end - I rarely feel it now.

It's really so incredibly unlikely to be anything more sinister.

You should go to the GP appointment though - they might be able to refer you for a physio session or just put your mind at rest.

brighteyeowl17 Sun 03-Mar-19 18:35:10

I have pain that sounds just like this and it’s caused by Degenerative disc disease/facet joint arthritis. For years I though I had some sort of gynae issues and had loads of scans and eventually when I couldn’t walk anymore I paid for a MRI and was diagnosed. Not saying don’t get it investigated but back problems can mimic other issues as the pain can radiate.

PtahNeith Sun 03-Mar-19 18:36:20

There's something not right with your health, and you don't know what it is or how to fix it. Of course you're not unreasonable to see a doctor for advice. That is why they are there.

chestnut9 Sun 03-Mar-19 18:36:49

Yes agreed re the osteopath actually - also a good osteopath will identify any red flags that mean you should see a GP.

lablablab Sun 03-Mar-19 18:37:00

Try not to worry, it could be anything!

But definitely get checked out by the doctor.

WolfhoundsofLove Sun 03-Mar-19 18:40:04

What’s the big dilemma about seeing your GP, I don’t get it.

PumpkinPie2016 Sun 03-Mar-19 18:42:54

YANBU to go to the GP especially as it has been going on for so long.

Have you had children OP? Only because, after I had my son (by emergency c-section so didn't actually deliver naturally) I had the most awful lower back ache for months. Couldn't even lie on my back in bed. Went to a physio (who I had seen before for something else) and it turns out my pelvis was slightly out of alignment. One physio session and it was cured.

The physio said that it can literally be 1mm out and it will cause pain. It can come back as well although mine hasn't.

If you can afford it, maybe go private - you can get an appointment within a few days.

PurpleDaisies Sun 03-Mar-19 19:06:55

Yes agreed re the osteopath actually - also a good osteopath will identify any red flags that mean you should see a GP.

Why not go straight to the GP? confused

Op you’re not unreasonable at all to see a doctor about this.

GreatDuckCookery6211 Sun 03-Mar-19 19:09:44

I’d go to the GP first OP. Not that I think it’s OC mind.

Jebuschristchocolatebar Sun 03-Mar-19 19:15:01

Um, I was under the impression the doctor is free in the UK, why wouldn’t you go if you are worried you have cancer? Grow up

Bunnybaubles Sun 03-Mar-19 19:16:46

Definitely see your GP. You can buy solpadine max (paracetamol and codeine) over the counter at the chemist which comes as a soluble painkiller so no need to struggle with tablets.

BitOfFun Sun 03-Mar-19 19:17:36

Go to the GP. It probably isn't cancer, but you need to exclude it for your peace of mind.

Limensoda Sun 03-Mar-19 19:18:33

Google will produce scary results and no one on here can tell you what it is or advise you properly.
List ALL your symptoms and see your GP. He/she will examine you, possibly arrange blood tests and if necessary refer you to a Consultant.
There could be many reasons for your symptoms but without tests you won't know.

Fluffymullet Sun 03-Mar-19 19:21:00

Sounds like it could be sciatica, pain referring from your back. Book in with the GP.
Mention you are worried about ovarian cancer as you are worrying about it, they will examine you/ put your mind at rest

ataleoftwothenthreethenfour Sun 03-Mar-19 19:23:34

I agree with PP, I would go straight to the GP for that. It's long term ongoing pain, and you can't really identify the origin. Go and see the GP with a clear conscience.

thesnapandfartisinfallible Sun 03-Mar-19 19:25:30

I'd be more inclined to see a physiotherapist or chiropractor tbh.

Overtheborder Sun 03-Mar-19 19:54:18

It sounds exactly like my sciatica pain!

doris9034 Sun 03-Mar-19 20:22:24

Thanks all for the helpful and reassuring comments - I know it's fine to go to GP but I literally hardly ever do and was worried about looking a fool..... I will look into osteopath (that could have gone so wrong as auto corrected to sociopath!!!) - I would prefer something more holistic that may help longer term rather than just painkillers!

doris9034 Sun 03-Mar-19 20:24:42

@chestnut it's exactly that! I will investigate Pilates classes! Tbh had been thinking about that anyway for core strength etc bitten this issue pit me off as I thought I wouldn't be able to manage

PurpleDaisies Sun 03-Mar-19 22:15:52

You should see the GP first to rule out anything serious.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »