Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up of favouritism from MIL

(3 Posts)
Mrsthomas29 Sun 03-Mar-19 18:21:11

Always had a slightly rocky relationship with her, but I try my best for my husband and kids sakes.

Anyway we have two kids, DH’s sister has two kids. MIL and SIL have a volatile relationship, and SIL regularly stops MIL from seeing her children to spite her.

I started noticing a pattern with this, the last two occasions she was stopped from seeing her other grandchildren, she seemed to want to spend more time with my kids, and would be contacting us most days to chat, or visit us to moan about the things SIL has done.

I let it go the last two times thinking maybe I’m overthinking things. I was a little upset as we have been very supportive of MIL as lots has happened in the last year and SIL refused to speak to her.

Anyway they fell out again a few weeks ago, she spent time with us, the kids, was in touch a lot but then it all went quiet. I said to my DH that perhaps she’s stopped contact with us because she and SIL are speaking again and she’s now allowed to see the other grandkids. I was right and now I’m fuming over it.

It’s not fair that my kids have to take a back seat and are only there to pass the time until she can see the others. Why can’t she have all of them in her life at the same time? I don’t get it.

She knew my son was very poorly this week. I told her on Monday, it’s now Sunday and she hasn’t bothered to text to see how he is. He was blue lighted into hospital on Thursday with a temperature of 42 and he became unresponsive. I’m so annoyed at her that I haven’t been in touch to tell her, thinking if she made the effort to ask How he is she would have known.

I know she’s going to kick off when she finds out what happened and that we didn’t tell her, ive told my DH I think it’s time she needs to confronted about it. My kids are young but soon they will start noticing, and I don’t want people bouncing in and out of their lives. DH agreed with everything I’ve said which I’m glad about. I hate upsetting people and causing drama but this has happened too many times now. She even cried to me because she hadn’t seen her other grandkids for a week yet she can’t even text to ask how her other ones are. AIBU to bring this to her attention?

Sorry for rambling!

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sun 03-Mar-19 18:26:53

Let your DH deal with his mother , sister and family dynamics. It just isn't worth getting over involved.

PinkiOcelot Sun 03-Mar-19 18:30:21

That would really piss me off. Your husband should definitely set her straight! The next time she calls, you could say ahh you fell out with SIL again?!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: