Talk

Advanced search

To think that Martina Navratilova should not have to apologise for the transgender comment?

(270 Posts)
Nickersnackersnockers Sun 03-Mar-19 12:47:12

Rachel McKinnon is a transgender cyclist, who, surprise surprise, is winning races against women.

Ok, maybe Navratilova shouldn't have used the word cheated, but surely nobody can disagree with the fact that Ms McKinnon has a male body, and the size and strength of a man, and having the right to compete against women is just plain wrong?

SardineQueenII Sun 03-Mar-19 12:53:21

" surely nobody can disagree with the fact that Ms McKinnon has a male body, and the size and strength of a man, and having the right to compete against women is just plain wrong?"

mackinnon disagrees, and says that sport should be on self id, no need for any interventions at all

the cycling orgs that let mackinnon compete against women obviously disagree as well, which is more of a worry

tehe canadian winter sports will be based on self id. the ice hockey should be fun.

CallMeWoman Sun 03-Mar-19 12:55:36

Yanbu. Male bodies are different from female bodies, and no amount of hormones, cosmetic surgery or deeply held feelings can change material facts.

Nickersnackersnockers Sun 03-Mar-19 12:55:37

Self ID. Goodness me, I think I identify as a bottle top.

rightreckoner Sun 03-Mar-19 12:56:23

They are cheats and misogynists hiding in plain sight. So glad Martina stood up. As did Sharron Davies. Kelly Holmes. Becky Adlington. Interesting that it’s older women or women with their athletics careers behind them that are speaking out. Everyone else has too much to lose if they tell the truth.

Intohellbutstayingstrong Sun 03-Mar-19 12:59:10

YANBU but if women do raise concerns they are shut down as transphobic. Men shutting down women. Shocker. It's simple. If you have a Y chromosome you are male.

Doyoumind Sun 03-Mar-19 12:59:45

The BBC news story leads with this idea that her latest blog is an apology but it's not and nor should it be. I'm disappointed with the BBC.

Penguincake Sun 03-Mar-19 12:59:59

McKinnon is a creepy misogynistic cheat. I am glad sportswomen are speaking out.

Horsemenoftheaclopalypse Sun 03-Mar-19 13:00:54

YANBU

DauntlessFaction Sun 03-Mar-19 13:01:56

Well if she's said Rachel was cheating, then yes she needs to apologise. Rachel was allowed to compete, therefore she's not a cheat.

Nickersnackersnockers Sun 03-Mar-19 13:02:20

The picture of McKinnon on the podium with the women on either side of him/her is ridiculous. McKinnon dwarfs them.

TeenTimesTwo Sun 03-Mar-19 13:02:31

Daley Thompson has stood up too.

I think it is hard for current sportspeople to put their head above the parapet. Have great for Andy Murray if he sadly needs to retire though.

AtrociousCircumstance Sun 03-Mar-19 13:03:45

Sexism and misogyny running rampant under a ‘woke’ cloak.

Fuck this injustice.

Intohellbutstayingstrong Sun 03-Mar-19 13:05:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Sun 03-Mar-19 13:14:16

So, list of careers my Granddaughter will not be encouraged to train for:-
General Nursing (any branch)
Mental Health Nursing
Midwifery
Teaching
Police Force
Social Work
Women's Sport (any)
Probably a lot more to add

MarieIVanArkleStinks Sun 03-Mar-19 13:27:48

I echo a PP: such a shame that only the retired female athletes with nothing to lose feel able to speak about this. I'm not anti-trans. I believe in respecting everyone's right to dress, live how or with whom they wish within the bounds of the law, and to have their choice of name and pronoun respected. For me, that respect comes to an end when transwomen stampede over the rights of women (yes, McKinnon is doing this) or worse, children (as in the case of the transman who carried, gave birth, and then wanted to override the law that says the person who carried and bore their child is its legal mother).

In my own line of work I'd likely be fired for openly stating views like this. Women are being very effectively silenced on these matters. A sense of deja vu's creeping up here: where have I heard this one before?

DauntlessFaction Sun 03-Mar-19 13:30:03

Message withdrawn as it quoted a deleted post.

SardineQueenII Sun 03-Mar-19 13:30:59

My big concern is that women will get a "concession" on sport and that will be the only "concession" we are allowed

They will give us sport (I mean they aren't going to win that one are they in the longer term) and we will have to accept mixed sex everything else (prisons etc) + cotton ceiling chat and so on

userschmoozer Sun 03-Mar-19 13:32:17

Sports are segregated by sex, not feelings. The fact that sometimes people win or lose is a straw man.

HTH.

SardineQueenII Sun 03-Mar-19 13:32:19

Dauntless faction

how do you feel about the forthcoming canadian winter games running on a self id basis

nevernotstruggling Sun 03-Mar-19 13:33:14

@Otterseatpuffinsdontthey why not sw?

SardineQueenII Sun 03-Mar-19 13:37:43

My brother has had something go wonky with his hormones, not sure why

He would be allowed to compete against women under current standards

Is that OK, or is it not OK if he doesn't have corresponding "ladybrain".

If it the ladybrain that makes a difference, why is that?

You get plenty of men who will meet the testosternone thresholds without being trans. Are they allowed to compete against women?

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Sun 03-Mar-19 13:38:45

Thankless
Stressful
Minefield

KingHenrysCodpiece Sun 03-Mar-19 13:39:25

So glad Martina stood up. As did Sharron Davies. Kelly Holmes. Becky Adlington

Have they spoken out? Where? I must have missed it.

Otterseatpuffin

Sincere question why would you not encourage your DD to go into nusring teaching, social work etc? Poor pay?

KingHenrysCodpiece Sun 03-Mar-19 13:41:28

Ahh sorry just saw your answer above

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »