Talk

Advanced search

To worry that DC still haven't caught chicken pox?

(85 Posts)
ASnowballsChance Sun 03-Mar-19 08:03:27

DC aged 10y and 5y still haven't caught chicken pox. I know it can be more severe the older you get. This is slightly complicated by me not being immune to CP despite having it as a child and being in contact with it since via siblings.

Anyone else have older DC not yet caught it?

happymummy12345 Sun 03-Mar-19 09:51:45

I got it when I was 17 years old, and it really was awful. I was covered head to toe, on my head, in my mouth. It took me over an hour to apply calamine lotion, and the cold baths in January were awful as well.

Smoggle Sun 03-Mar-19 09:54:36

My oldest didn't get it til year 1 - it was getting to the point of thinking about vaccinating him.

I would definitely have the 10yo done.

Youmadorwhat Sun 03-Mar-19 09:57:19

Mine are 3 and 5 ad still haven’t had it either. I keep meaning to vaccinate if I’m being honest. 🙈

gubbsywubbsy Sun 03-Mar-19 09:57:24

How do you get checked if you are immune ? I asked my doctor ages ago and she said you couldn't get a test 🤷‍♀️

Littlebelina Sun 03-Mar-19 09:58:56

www.boots.com/health-pharmacy-advice/vaccinations/chickenpox-vaccination-service

You can find your nearest boots that do vaccinations and book appointments online (other places also do it). Not cheap esp if you get all 3 of you done but cheaper than a week off work ( or 3+ weeks as you might get it one after another!)

LittleRen Sun 03-Mar-19 09:59:44

My sister thought her 9 year old was immune then he caught it off my 6 year old. He was absolutely fine, had it no worse than my three boys (none of whom were even itchy).
I would give it another year or so, it seems to be around at the moment.

Mmmhmmm Sun 03-Mar-19 10:01:15

Just get all 3 of you vaccinated.

YouBumder Sun 03-Mar-19 10:01:36

I’d get them and you vaccinated

Seeline Sun 03-Mar-19 10:01:39

My sister and I had it at 13 and 15. We had been in contact with it many times, and our mum even had shingles and we didn't catch it. Never found out where we eventually caught it because all our friends had had years before. We both had it very badly. Spots in our mouths, ears, eyes, soles of feet etc. Both had a full 2 weeks off school - not ideal at that age. This was over 30 years ago so no vaccine, but I would get it done now.

ittakes2 Sun 03-Mar-19 10:02:38

I had mine vaccinated - they do it as standard for free on the government health system in American and Australia as advised but the world health organisation. I'm assuming UK does not do it to save money but you can have it done privately.

WhiteNancy Sun 03-Mar-19 10:03:03

I paid £70 for dd to be vaccinated when she hadn't had it by 16.

JassyRadlett Sun 03-Mar-19 10:04:29

Vaccinate sooner rather than later. The vaccine is less effective in teens and adults than it is in children.

Toomanycats99 Sun 03-Mar-19 10:12:03

I hVe two dd - 7 and 11. The 11yo had some spots when she was about 11.5 months - doctor said hand foot and mouth but I was not convinced as they were in front and back. She has never after that caught it despite her best friend at nursery who she spent all her time with catching it.

The 7yo has just come out in it - seems to be not too bad a case so far but wondering if her sister will get it. If she doesn't I guess maybe she has had it or is immune.

I didn't realise I could get her vaccinated even at her age - I may think about that as would not want her to get it as an adult.

dietcokemegafan Sun 03-Mar-19 10:13:13

Just get them vaccinated, and you too.

Captaindobbin Sun 03-Mar-19 10:16:30

The vaccine is a live vaccine and we were told that the chances of getting shingles later in life are exactly the same as having CP

fivedogstofeed Sun 03-Mar-19 10:19:10

My dc were 10 and 8 when they finally had chickenpox, despite it having done the rounds of their school every year.
Both were really quite poorly.
With the benefit of hindsight I would absolutely vaccinate and really wish I had.

Littlebird88 Sun 03-Mar-19 10:20:48

I had thought my 10 year old hadn't had chickenpox but then she had shingles so must have had chickenpox so mildly we didn't notice

Violetroselily Sun 03-Mar-19 10:26:52

I thought I was immune until I got it at 21. Worst thing that's ever happened to me, thought I would never recover.

Get them vaccinated

Xmasbaby11 Sun 03-Mar-19 10:31:09

I have dd 5 and 7. 5yo had it mildly, 7yo has managed to not get it despite a lot of exposure. I might get her vaccinated. She has asd and gets very upset when ill.

lljkk Sun 03-Mar-19 10:31:58

I had very mild CP as an adult. Nothing hamburger event.

JassyRadlett Sun 03-Mar-19 10:44:47

The vaccine is a live vaccine and we were told that the chances of getting shingles later in life are exactly the same as having CP

Who told you that?

It’s at odds with most studies I’ve seen, which indicate HZ rates among immunocompetent people are much lower in vaccinated people than people who were infected with the wild strain.

Dutch1e Sun 03-Mar-19 10:54:42

@Auramigraine it's possible your kiddos have had CP but not noticed. My daughter was definitely exposed as a small child but had no spots. Really no symptoms aside from a raised temp for one evening.

She's been exposed half a dozen times since and never caught it so I can only assume she had a very mild case.

Pizzamyhart Sun 03-Mar-19 11:09:22

I'm in my 30's and never had nor have I been vaccinated. I have much younger siblings and was around them when they had it and still didn't get it. My Nan has never had it either.

IsAinmDummm Sun 03-Mar-19 11:10:42

My DH got chicken pox in his 30's and was the sickest I've ever seen him. He passed it onto my 9 month old, who still to this day (12 years later) is scarred from it. I'd vaccinate if you can at all.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Sun 03-Mar-19 11:23:31

10yo DD Aldo hasn't had them. She had blood tests recently due to recurring coldsores and it turns out she's immune to chickenpox!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »