Talk

Advanced search

To replace our bedding with 100% cotton

(90 Posts)
cadburyegg Sat 02-Mar-19 23:37:45

We bought new bedding from ikea a couple of weeks ago and put it on this week. I don’t like the feel of it and I just looked at it says 50% cotton 50% lytocell.

I just hate it! Ugh I hate the feel of it and it’s all scratchy and hard. I really want to replace it with 100% cotton. My dh can’t understand what my problem is and thinks I’m being ridiculous and wasteful. AIBU?

FamilyOfAliens Sat 02-Mar-19 23:43:53

Wash it and see if that makes a difference.

Btw, lyocell is made from natural fibres (like rayon), so I imagine it’s meant to be like 100% cotton, only softer.

Dessicator Sun 03-Mar-19 00:08:50

Surely people wash bedding before putting it on their bed.

LittleBearPad Sun 03-Mar-19 00:12:04

Surely people wash bedding before putting it on their bed

Nope

JingsMahBucket Sun 03-Mar-19 00:14:33

Return it to IKEA and get all cotton sets. They’ll take the products back easily.

ATBhinchers Sun 03-Mar-19 00:15:17

Wtf of course you wash bedding before using it! It even says it on the pack. A really good wash with fabric conditioner and a nice tumble dry. Can't beat freshly washed new bedding. There's no way any normal person would take them all crunchy and creased and smelling all chemically out of a pack and then sleep on it?! Come on!

akmum18 Sun 03-Mar-19 00:15:56

Try a good hot wash with softener and tumble dry, always makes our bedding soft and comfy
Couldn’t imagine using bedding without doing this first

BeanTownNancy Sun 03-Mar-19 00:17:00

@ATBhinchers

I think you underestimate just how lazy some people like me are.

TheSerenDipitY Sun 03-Mar-19 00:20:12

yes, take them back, get 100% cotton and go for a high thread count, they last longer ( i have some 1000 thread counts that are almost 20 years old and still feel amazing) and they feel so much nicer than a mix or low count and they dont pill as mixes tend to do

SwedishEdith Sun 03-Mar-19 00:20:36

What's the design, OP? I bought some that has never softened after washing and, no, I'd never wash before I used it despite the stuff in the shop being soft.

ATBhinchers Sun 03-Mar-19 00:20:47

That's not laziness though. Its intentionally giving yourself a rash/bad nights sleep etc. Easier to wash it and put it on all nice then leave it on for weekend you're lazy. Put it all crunchy and new and you surely must want to change it after 1 night in that sweaty rashy bed? If not fair play to You but honestly my tiny mind is blown.

ATBhinchers Sun 03-Mar-19 00:21:26

*weeks on end not weekend

Ifonlybatshadhats Sun 03-Mar-19 00:29:34

Oh dear, I am one of those people who have put 'new from the shop' sheets on the bed (only because I was in a rush getting the room ready for my parents to stay, my poor parents). Just wash and tumble dry as pps have said. Don't return them, it is wasteful.

GunpowderGelatine Sun 03-Mar-19 01:07:51

Do it. We have and the kids and DH's eczema are better, and the sheets are so lovely to get between!

angelikacpickles Sun 03-Mar-19 01:13:48

@ATBHinchers I can assure you that I am perfectly normal and I do not wash bedding before putting it on the bed. I also have no idea why on earth you would think a person would get a rash from unwashed new bedding. I don't wash my clothes before I wear them the first time either.

7salmonswimming Sun 03-Mar-19 01:17:22

Those of you with 100% cotton sheets though, don’t they look really crumpled all the time? I’m assuming nobody except my mum irons their sheets. So how do you keep them looking decent? I’d love 100% cotton, Frette-style sheets, but hate the totally crumpled look. They always look unwashed sad

RamblinRosie Sun 03-Mar-19 01:23:23

You can’t beat a really high thread count cotton.

NC4Now Sun 03-Mar-19 01:29:12

I’m amazingly rash-free from my new bedsheets. But YANBU wanting to replace with cotton. It does feel lovely.

Ironing is a pain though. I pay a local lady £4 to iron my bedding for a treat.

Harumphharagh Sun 03-Mar-19 01:34:02

Unwashed fabric often has a ‘finish’ on it, almost like a starch, to keep it pretty and crisp while on a roll/in a factory/packed up in transit/in a store. Plus you don’t know how many people have handled it in that whole process from weave to shop! I am not pristine but def give it a wash.

AuntieOxident Sun 03-Mar-19 01:35:47

7salmons I loathe ironing in general and ironing bedding in particular so I send them to an ironing place. They come back immaculate, certainly much better than I could ever do them. Frette are lovely.
I always buy at least 400 thread count, and put them on the bed straight from the packet. The higher the thread count, the softer and smoother they are IME. They have fold lines but so do my older sheets when they come back from the ironing place.

SpringForEver Sun 03-Mar-19 01:36:44

Lyocell feels horrible, it is made from wood pulp.

My bedding is cotton, it is sometimes a bit wrinkly and I don't iron bedding, however if you smooth and flatten it when wet and hang it to dry it isn't too bad. I don't put bedding in the dryer, it is nicer crisp.

RabbityMcRabbit Sun 03-Mar-19 01:36:46

YANBU OP, can't beat 100% cotton, I won't have anything else.

MissSingerbrains Sun 03-Mar-19 01:37:12

Lyocell is not a synthetic fibre, like a PP said. I understand your preference for cotton, but I’m sure your sheets will soften after a couple of washes.

I’m definitely one of those people who has to wash new sheets before using them. Ugh, hate that chemical smell and feel envy

QuestionableMouse Sun 03-Mar-19 01:39:09

Unwashed fabrics stink. They smell like dust and chemicals.

IKEA bedding has become really poor lately. Even the 100% cotton stuff is kinda rough. The Gaspa sheets they used to do are amazing though (sleeping on one now!)

The dvala bedding isn't too bad though.

CJsGoldfish Sun 03-Mar-19 04:07:30

That's not laziness though. Its intentionally giving yourself a rash/bad nights sleep etc.

Nah, can assure you it IS laziness smile

In all the decades of my being responsible for my own bedding, I've never washed new sheets before using them. No rashes and/or bad nights sleep (caused by new bedding.lol)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »