Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit pissed about the school scaring my DD?

(71 Posts)
TheBentNeckLady Sat 02-Mar-19 22:27:27

My DD's school was given a talk on 'Momo' at school and now she's petrified. Another girl cried in the assembly because she was so scared. Momo so far isn't even proven to be a real thing. A general internet safety talk can never go amiss, surely this would have sufficed?

LimeKiwi Sun 03-Mar-19 00:38:33

@Hoggyt

Meant to say I prefer my DCs to be warned so that if they did stumble on this they're not blind sided by it

Me too, told mine that they see it online it's just silly stuff designed to scare, it doesn't mean anything and to tell me.

fishonabicycle Sun 03-Mar-19 08:42:58

And its a hoax, fuelled by the tabloids and their idiotic headlines and lack of research.

IDoN0tCare Sun 03-Mar-19 10:57:21

Butchyrestingface

Poor Larne, though to be fair.....😁

Igotthemheavyboobs Sun 03-Mar-19 11:03:54

Just show her some of the memes, they are funny and silly and will hopefully remove the full terror side.

And yeah probably complain, it is rediculous to announce this at a school, no matter how 'we are teaching about Internet security' they think they are being. Tell the parents and let them deal with it in their own way.

LetsGoFlyAKiteee Sun 03-Mar-19 12:47:45

Hahaha!

It is crazy how quick it's spread and schola although guess feel have to address it have made it go even further really

SherlockHolmes Sun 03-Mar-19 13:26:33

Pissed OFF. Please don't say pissed. It means something else entirely in the UK.

AdobeWanKenobi Sun 03-Mar-19 13:47:39

Oh here we go, lets turn this into an argument over language.
You all understood what OP meant and you're just being arseholes for the sake of it.

IAmMeThisIsI Sun 03-Mar-19 14:46:01

I remember about two years ago when that momo puppet surfaced on Reddit. The "paranormal" channels on YouTube tried to make it creepy back then. In the end they admitted it was made by some Japanese guy from Link Factory for some horror event in Tokyo. It was named "mother bird" by the artist. Only when the picture of the sculpture went viral, the nonsense began. Kids will scare other kids. A app that uses AI can "text you as momo" and so on. People asking "is it real" need a reality check.

IAmMeThisIsI Sun 03-Mar-19 14:50:56

This reminds me of the slender Man creepy pasta. That got out of hand when two girls of thirteen years murdered their friend.

LilQueenie Sun 03-Mar-19 17:32:14

Pissed OFF. Please don't say pissed. It means something else entirely in the UK.

Pissed in this context means the same as pissed off. I'm in the UK. The op doesn't feel drunk about anything. It's obvious.

missmouse101 Sun 03-Mar-19 17:36:58

It's good to write words correctly as we are communicating via the written word. Pissed OFF is what OP meant.

ForInstance Sun 03-Mar-19 17:43:19

I wouldn’t be happy that DD had been frightened. But I’d be particularly unimpressed with the school’s decision-making in arranging an impromptu talk about this fake / vastly exaggerated threat. If Momo demonstrates anything it’s the need for critical thinking in the face of inaccurate information - that’s what school should be teaching DD, and putting into practice themselves!

nothinglikeadame Sun 03-Mar-19 17:48:30

It will probably be another bloody stupid parent lying about seeing Momo on YouTube, and insisting the school tell all the kids about it, thus spreading the hoax and unnecessarily scaring them.

To the earlier poster who says the have seen a peppa pig clip where Momo comes and starts telling the viewer to kill people/themselves....this didn't happen did it? At the best you have seen a hoax clip on another site somewhere.

ittakes2 Sun 03-Mar-19 18:02:21

unfit I experienced this a lot with my children in primary school - 1st week of reception for some reason the teacher thought it appropriate to tell the children that they are all going to die at some stage! I completely agree with you but think they maybe schools are trying to build up resistance to scary things as this sort of thing continued throughout their schooling - sadly even the discussion of the French bombings when they happened..without any regard to the children with French relatives!

AmIthatbloodycold Sun 03-Mar-19 18:21:24

Adobe. I'm happy to be an arsehole

I assumed the OP was American too. Nobody's been rude about it though. Only you

Bloggee Sun 03-Mar-19 18:57:14

Pissed OFF. Please don't say pissed. It means something else entirely in the UK

I just mentioned I’m in the UK and I used it so.... naw

AmIthatbloodycold Sun 03-Mar-19 19:49:54

Bloggee, you may very well use the expression

Sherlock's post is still correct though

Sorry OP for derailing, I'll say no more

ReanimatedSGB Tue 05-Mar-19 20:41:56

DS' school gave them all a talk on this, and sent home a letter. Currently trying very hard not to give in to the temptation to get out my red pen and send them back the letter with all the SPAG errors corrected and a post-it note attached asking them if the nasty Momo-beast scared the fucking literacy out of them.

Kismetjayn Tue 05-Mar-19 20:54:41

It's a good opportunity to remind children about internet safety in general and that not everyone online has their best interests at heart. Telling them any more than that is ridiculous and short-sighted. All they learn is to be afraid of Momo, not to apply any caution to their use of the internet for wider reasons.

cariadlet Tue 05-Mar-19 21:36:59

The school where I teach sent a letter home. Unfortunately just before the BBC article came out - it mentioned the Momo thing, but did also include some good internet safety advice.

There was an internet safety talk to KS2 children on the same day, but without mentioning Momo (nobody wanted children who hadn't heard of it getting interested and googling it). Children were reminded that if they saw something on the internet that upset or worried them then they should tell an adult. They were asked not to chat to each other about things that they had seen in case the little ones heard them and were upset. I think that was a pretty balanced and sensible approach.

Bloggee Wed 06-Mar-19 08:23:51

I decided to show DD a pic of the full “Momo”, it was then she laughed her head off and thought the whole thing was stupid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »