Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit pissed about the school scaring my DD?

(71 Posts)
TheBentNeckLady Sat 02-Mar-19 22:27:27

My DD's school was given a talk on 'Momo' at school and now she's petrified. Another girl cried in the assembly because she was so scared. Momo so far isn't even proven to be a real thing. A general internet safety talk can never go amiss, surely this would have sufficed?

BusySnipingOnCallOfDuty Sat 02-Mar-19 22:28:53

Tbh I dont know how i feel about momo. I really need to check what, if anything, my eldest knows

needthisthread Sat 02-Mar-19 22:29:13

Why is she scared?

ReaganSomerset Sat 02-Mar-19 22:30:17

I'd say complain. That picture is freaky to me as an adult. If they showed that to a bunch of primary kids, I'm not surprised they got scared.

HomeMadeMadness Sat 02-Mar-19 22:30:56

What did they say that made her scared? Have you now managed to reassure her. The general consensus on momo seems to be that the reaction to it has been more damaging than the initial images/video. As it's stirred up huge interest and lots of copycats.

SachaStark Sat 02-Mar-19 22:31:13

Need to know how old the children are, otherwise how do we know if the level of talk was inappropriate?

WiddlinDiddlin Sat 02-Mar-19 22:32:15

What on earth do you mean 'Momo isn't proven to be a real thing'...

Momo isn't a real thing. Momo is like fucking Santa right, you do know this. Momo doesn't fucking exist.

Jaysus I've spent the night with a 14 year old who managed to grasp this and now there are adults who don't get it?!

Momo is a combination of a photo of a scary sculpture, and nasty arseholes who use social media to bully and frighten people.

Add in a nice big dollop of hysteria and idiocy and hey presto... you have adults suggesting 'it might be real'...!

janetforpresident Sat 02-Mar-19 22:32:31

I really hope their didn't show the picture!!!

I would be annoyed about this too. I have had a chat with my kids about internet safety but neither of them seemed to know about momo so the last thing I wanted to do was be too detailed and scare them. I don't think it's for the school In this case

fishonabicycle Sat 02-Mar-19 22:33:52

I think they mean real in the sense of 'being a thing on the internet' rather than being actually 'real'.

Hodgehegg Sat 02-Mar-19 22:35:03

Its incredibly stupid to be bringing this up with little kids who hopefully have never heard of it! They've just made it worse!

TheBentNeckLady Sat 02-Mar-19 22:35:33

The kids are 6. She doesn't really watch YouTube tbh and we've tried reassuring her but she's very sensitive and I think just her being told by her teachers that it's out there has freaked her out.

Butchyrestingface Sat 02-Mar-19 22:36:08

Show her this.

Or maybe don't... wink

TheSheepofWallSt Sat 02-Mar-19 22:36:18

Literally the only children I’ve heard of being scared by Momo, are children being scared by adults telling them about Momo.

Tell your daughter it isn’t real.
Show her the news articles (in reputable newspapers) that say definitely nobody has seen any videos containing Momo.
Then ring the school and tell them you hope they’re fact checking lesson content better than they checked this.

I had this utter nonsense from my 2.5 year olds nursery this week- and wasted no time telling them they were making a ridiculous situation worse.

RosemarysBush Sat 02-Mar-19 22:36:28

When people say it isn’t a real thing they mean the ‘game’ isn’t actually a thing. No adult thinks Momo is a real creature. (Presumably)

TheBentNeckLady Sat 02-Mar-19 22:37:39

Widdlin, I did not mean I thought momo was real. I mean the whole thing about it even being on the videos at all could be a hoax hmm

janetforpresident Sat 02-Mar-19 22:37:49

Very stupid of the school.

TheSheepofWallSt Sat 02-Mar-19 22:37:51

@RosemarysBush

You’d hope so wouldn’t you, but judging by the palaver of the last week ... 🤷🏼‍♀️

goldengummybear Sat 02-Mar-19 22:38:13

My ds was in primary during the "killer clowns" scares and the school spoke to the kids about it. Playground chat started with the y5/y6 and had filtered down the years as far as Reception very quickly so school had to take action.

There will be lots of kids who have heard of Momo and there's every chances of your child overhearing chat about it in the playground. There's no need to see the pic but the school did the right thing imo.

icouldwriteabook Sat 02-Mar-19 22:38:51

Did someone just ask WHY she’s scared?
Seriously hmm

She’s 6 years old (if you didn’t understand what’s very young and perfectly reasonable to be terrified about this) and probably had no idea about ‘momo’ Until the school brought it up.

I’d be having a strong word with the head teacher for this one, how stupid is your dd’s school confused

LostwithSawyer Sat 02-Mar-19 22:41:09

Better the school to tell her than a kid to show her.
This year it's momo before that it was 'killer clowns" .
I'd want the school to be proactive with these crazy phenomenons.

MoniqueTonique Sat 02-Mar-19 22:41:39

We have had emails from our schools (both Junior and Senior) about Momo, forwarded from the Police. We have been advised NOT to explain what Momo is, to avoid spreading knowledge and discussion of it amongst children. Instead we have been given all the usual advice about internet safety and what behaviours to look out for in your child.

Amfeelingfline Sat 02-Mar-19 22:43:51

Same happened here, not aware of it before the hysteria ( she’s 9), she’d even seen it at a friend’s house ( don’t ask 😠) a few weeks ago but had never mentioned it or been scared/worried, but after the talk she’s scared of going upstairs and had horrible nightmares ( I could hear her scream in her sleep). Nice one! A general internet safety talk would have been a lot more appropriate I believe...

SnowdropsiUnderTrees Sat 02-Mar-19 22:48:48

It is definitely a real thing. Police have issued helpful guidance on it in my area which the school have forwarded to parents. Unfortunately not all parents are responsible enough to talk to their children where I live so lots will hear about it inter playground and that will be disastrous as rumours will go wild.
OP if your daughter hadn't heard of it she would have shortly so it's good the school talked to them.

needthisthread Sat 02-Mar-19 22:51:32

Did someone just ask WHY she’s scared?
Seriously hmm

Yes. Yes I did. I know it’s momo, my question was why was she scared as in what the hell did school say to make her scared. So take your hmm and ram it.

SuperSara Sat 02-Mar-19 22:53:06

Most people here will be from the U.K., OP, so not sure if things are different where you are (USA, I’m guessing?)

I think it’s accepted as being a hoax by most schools here.

BeardedMum Sat 02-Mar-19 22:54:03

We had an email from the school too and ds2 is convinced lots of people in his school has been called by this mono who lives in Australia. It’s a killer-clown situation. These things always makes me giggle they are so hysterical. I don’t think mono has the capacity to ring around to all the children in ds2’s school.

TheBentNeckLady Sat 02-Mar-19 22:54:56

Nope, UK

Beeziekn33ze Sat 02-Mar-19 22:55:24

OP - The answer to your last question is, of course, YES!

ReanimatedSGB Sat 02-Mar-19 22:56:03

The usual load of old willy. When I was a teenager it was 'playing records backwards' and video 'nasties'. Sometimes this sort of scaremongering bullshit is down to a mistake or a misunderstanding of some kind; sometimes it's revved up to induce racism or to persuade people that more prohibition, surveillance and censorship is necessary.

ColeHawlins Sat 02-Mar-19 22:57:13

How incompetent must the school be to scare children by discussing internet safety (essentially)?

BiscuitMachine Sat 02-Mar-19 22:58:03

I thought it was a hoax? All the police warnings etc was because nobody thought to fact check.

SuperSara Sat 02-Mar-19 22:58:05

Nope, UK

Ah ok. In the U.K., if you’re pissed it’s because you’ve been drinking.

TheBentNeckLady Sat 02-Mar-19 23:00:34

Super, I am from the US but I live in the UK, thank you for your correction.

LimeKiwi Sat 02-Mar-19 23:00:57

Depends on what they said " to make her scared"
I have school age kids. They've heard of Mono this week with all the fuss.
I've merely told them that it's a cartoon on the internet and harmless, if it pops up let me know.
Reminds me of 80s and 90s chain letter crap, that you used to sometimes get in the post -do this or so and so happens....."
No. Ignore. Bag of shite. Just let your kids know that without bag of shite comment obviously and worded appropriately lol.

Bloggee Sat 02-Mar-19 23:01:17

OP there’s been quite a few annoyed parents round my way too about the same thing (I wonder if you are in my area lol)

I’m pissed to be fair. My children had no clue who the hell momo was. Now they do confused

LimeKiwi Sat 02-Mar-19 23:01:42

Momo - stupid autocorrect

m0therofdragons Sat 02-Mar-19 23:01:50

Dd is 7 and was upset because other dc were talking and one said her dad stabbed himself in his neck and died because of Momo. Dd was upset until she saw the dad picking up at the end of the day and realised it was a lie.

I wouldn't imagine the teachers told it in a scary way but you can't control what other dc say.

Bloggee Sat 02-Mar-19 23:02:49

Also I’m not from the US and I used pissed for both occasions lol

ColeHawlins Sat 02-Mar-19 23:04:02

I'm confused by all the mentions of "is it a hoax?", "is it real?".

It's like asking whether Pennywise (the clown from IT) is a "hoax", isn't it?

Epanoui Sat 02-Mar-19 23:04:24

I think this is a fairly balanced article about the whole business

www.snopes.com/news/2019/02/26/momo-challenge-suicide-game/

AT 6, I really think a general internet safety discussion would have sufficed (never talk to someone you don't know over the internet, never talk to someone over the internet without your parents' knowledge, never give out any of your contact details to anyone you don't know or trust etc).

DD is 12 and this came up with her friends. She was beyond freaked out by the picture (shown to her by a friend). She was v much comforted by knowing that it's a sculpture created by a Japanese special effects company not for this purpose and someone has just stolen the photo and reused it.

We had a chat about it and I pointed out that a) she'd done the right thing by telling me, b) always tell me if something is scaring her as otherwise I can't help if I don't know, c) it is almost always true that adults are likely to have a better handle on whether things are actually worth worrying about than 12 year olds and it's still worth asking an adult even if you think they might not know and it could be another trusted adult if for some reason she did not want to ask me, d) 12 year olds are not well known for their ability to be calm and rational in the face of something scary (this made her laugh quite a lot) and e) just don't ever talk to people you don't know over the internet and nothing like this can ever happen to you (in the case of someone you don't know talking to you without your permission, the correct course of action is always to tell me immediately and block that person).

It does seem like it's a lot of fuss over nothing. I expect the school were trying to be proactive in protecting them but you're right that this is a level of detail the vast majority of them will simply not need. In the case of 6 year olds who do have unsupervised access to the internet, I suspect Momo is the least of their problems. I suspect a general 'most of this stuff is absolute nonsense and if you see anything that scares you, you should tell an adult you trust' would have sufficed for 6 year olds.

sarahjaneg Sat 02-Mar-19 23:05:18

My children's school spoke to them about it on thursday- id heard nothing about it- both my children came home and told me, I did a bit of research, followed up what the school had said- both kids 7,10 absolutely fine about it..
Then yesterday morning got an email from the teacher saying sorry etc etc .... to be honest I just couldn't understand why some parents had complained. Surely we're all singing from the same hymn sheet? I phoned the school to say Thank you to the teacher, I feel she had brought something to my attention that needed it- with the best interests of the children at heart. Although this thing isn't real the event is- I just think children need to be aware of problems on social media and how to deal with them.

Epanoui Sat 02-Mar-19 23:06:09

And if your kids are unnecessarily scared, just try to use it as a teaching moment and use the fear to point out all the ways you can help them with it (hopefully this will resonate if they do ever need your help).

AmIthatbloodycold Sat 02-Mar-19 23:08:53

grin*Sara*, I thought OP had been driven to drink by it

LilQueenie Sat 02-Mar-19 23:16:24

I can't believe people are saying its still a hoax.

mindutopia Sat 02-Mar-19 23:16:56

YANBU I’m sending an angry email about this tomorrow. My 6 year old came home last night telling me all sorts of scary intricate details about ‘momo’ that she learned in Friday assembly along with all the scary things that might happen if she watches Peppa Pig. She has been terrified to watch anything on her tablet since (which is closer monitored, she watches bbc kids and plays a few educational games). Last night she couldn’t fall asleep because she said she was ‘thinking lots of bad thoughts because of assembly’. It’s f&£?ing ridiculous that I’m having to console my 6 year old because her teachers told her a scary story in a school.

If there are concerns about internet safety they need to be brought to parents to address at home. The fact they are terrifying children because some teacher gets all her facts from the Daily Mail is embarrassing and ridiculous, not to mention harmful.

Hoggytat Sat 02-Mar-19 23:24:13

I've seen a video of Momo overlapping a genuine Peppa Pig clip. It's the picture of momo talking really fast telling the child to cut themselves or they'll come and kill them. No mention of whatsapp but it's creepy as hell and for a small child it must be terrifying.

What I don't know is whether this is the original type of thing the police are warning about or some sick sod jumping on the momo bandwagon.

Hoggytat Sat 02-Mar-19 23:25:09

Meant to say I prefer my DCs to be warned so that if they did stumble on this they're not blind sided by it.

ClaireElizabethBeuchampFraser Sat 02-Mar-19 23:37:15

My dd’s School sent an email to all parents with advice and information on Momo. This was quickly followed by an email from the head, asking us not to show children the picture or discuss Momo, unless our child had any awareness of what was going on (he was concerned that discussing it would make our children more curious and more likely to search the internet for it or to be frightened). He advised that parents instead be more vigilant with what our children are viewing online.

I had discussed this with my dd the night before the email was sent out. Purely to advise that if any video she was watching suddenly changed, that she should turn it off and bring it straight to me. I did inform her that bad people were deliberately trying to frighten children into hurting themselves or doing dangerous things. I also spoke to her about not believing things just because someone says it is true. She decided only to watch videos when I am right next to her. My dd is 9 (turns 10 later in the year).

I also made sure she wouldn’t discuss this with her friends. As I didn’t want children looking it up for themselves.

Your poor little girl! I would have cuddled up on the sofa with a couple of her favourite movies, ice cream and lots of cuddles (bosies). My dd and ds were both very sensitive at 6- they both still can be but I would be mad if school hadn’t at least sent a letter home warning that they were going to discuss something so scary to a 6 year old!

Ciwirocks Sat 02-Mar-19 23:40:31

My dc came home talking about this as well even though they don’t even watch you tube and hadn’t heard a thing about it. I wish our school would have sent an email instead.

Yabbers Sat 02-Mar-19 23:49:18

Literally the only children I’ve heard of being scared by Momo, are children being scared by adults telling them about Momo

Slightly different in our case. I had told DD that there was a hoax doing the rounds and if she heard about it, just tell her friends it was a load of crap. No biggie and she was fine.

Three days later, her classmate came in and looked upset. She asked him why and he had seen the modded thing on Forrtnite and the kids online were talking about it. That day there was much chat about it and the school stepped in and spoke to the kids about it. They also sent a letter out.

Unfortunately, despite linking to the BBC piece about it being a hoax, they made out it was actually real and scared the crap out of kids and the parents who can’t be arsed to fact check.

LimeKiwi Sun 03-Mar-19 00:38:33

@Hoggyt

Meant to say I prefer my DCs to be warned so that if they did stumble on this they're not blind sided by it

Me too, told mine that they see it online it's just silly stuff designed to scare, it doesn't mean anything and to tell me.

fishonabicycle Sun 03-Mar-19 08:42:58

And its a hoax, fuelled by the tabloids and their idiotic headlines and lack of research.

IDoN0tCare Sun 03-Mar-19 10:57:21

Butchyrestingface

Poor Larne, though to be fair.....😁

Igotthemheavyboobs Sun 03-Mar-19 11:03:54

Just show her some of the memes, they are funny and silly and will hopefully remove the full terror side.

And yeah probably complain, it is rediculous to announce this at a school, no matter how 'we are teaching about Internet security' they think they are being. Tell the parents and let them deal with it in their own way.

LetsGoFlyAKiteee Sun 03-Mar-19 12:47:45

Hahaha!

It is crazy how quick it's spread and schola although guess feel have to address it have made it go even further really

SherlockHolmes Sun 03-Mar-19 13:26:33

Pissed OFF. Please don't say pissed. It means something else entirely in the UK.

AdobeWanKenobi Sun 03-Mar-19 13:47:39

Oh here we go, lets turn this into an argument over language.
You all understood what OP meant and you're just being arseholes for the sake of it.

IAmMeThisIsI Sun 03-Mar-19 14:46:01

I remember about two years ago when that momo puppet surfaced on Reddit. The "paranormal" channels on YouTube tried to make it creepy back then. In the end they admitted it was made by some Japanese guy from Link Factory for some horror event in Tokyo. It was named "mother bird" by the artist. Only when the picture of the sculpture went viral, the nonsense began. Kids will scare other kids. A app that uses AI can "text you as momo" and so on. People asking "is it real" need a reality check.

IAmMeThisIsI Sun 03-Mar-19 14:50:56

This reminds me of the slender Man creepy pasta. That got out of hand when two girls of thirteen years murdered their friend.

LilQueenie Sun 03-Mar-19 17:32:14

Pissed OFF. Please don't say pissed. It means something else entirely in the UK.

Pissed in this context means the same as pissed off. I'm in the UK. The op doesn't feel drunk about anything. It's obvious.

missmouse101 Sun 03-Mar-19 17:36:58

It's good to write words correctly as we are communicating via the written word. Pissed OFF is what OP meant.

ForInstance Sun 03-Mar-19 17:43:19

I wouldn’t be happy that DD had been frightened. But I’d be particularly unimpressed with the school’s decision-making in arranging an impromptu talk about this fake / vastly exaggerated threat. If Momo demonstrates anything it’s the need for critical thinking in the face of inaccurate information - that’s what school should be teaching DD, and putting into practice themselves!

nothinglikeadame Sun 03-Mar-19 17:48:30

It will probably be another bloody stupid parent lying about seeing Momo on YouTube, and insisting the school tell all the kids about it, thus spreading the hoax and unnecessarily scaring them.

To the earlier poster who says the have seen a peppa pig clip where Momo comes and starts telling the viewer to kill people/themselves....this didn't happen did it? At the best you have seen a hoax clip on another site somewhere.

ittakes2 Sun 03-Mar-19 18:02:21

unfit I experienced this a lot with my children in primary school - 1st week of reception for some reason the teacher thought it appropriate to tell the children that they are all going to die at some stage! I completely agree with you but think they maybe schools are trying to build up resistance to scary things as this sort of thing continued throughout their schooling - sadly even the discussion of the French bombings when they happened..without any regard to the children with French relatives!

AmIthatbloodycold Sun 03-Mar-19 18:21:24

Adobe. I'm happy to be an arsehole

I assumed the OP was American too. Nobody's been rude about it though. Only you

Bloggee Sun 03-Mar-19 18:57:14

Pissed OFF. Please don't say pissed. It means something else entirely in the UK

I just mentioned I’m in the UK and I used it so.... naw

AmIthatbloodycold Sun 03-Mar-19 19:49:54

Bloggee, you may very well use the expression

Sherlock's post is still correct though

Sorry OP for derailing, I'll say no more

ReanimatedSGB Tue 05-Mar-19 20:41:56

DS' school gave them all a talk on this, and sent home a letter. Currently trying very hard not to give in to the temptation to get out my red pen and send them back the letter with all the SPAG errors corrected and a post-it note attached asking them if the nasty Momo-beast scared the fucking literacy out of them.

Kismetjayn Tue 05-Mar-19 20:54:41

It's a good opportunity to remind children about internet safety in general and that not everyone online has their best interests at heart. Telling them any more than that is ridiculous and short-sighted. All they learn is to be afraid of Momo, not to apply any caution to their use of the internet for wider reasons.

cariadlet Tue 05-Mar-19 21:36:59

The school where I teach sent a letter home. Unfortunately just before the BBC article came out - it mentioned the Momo thing, but did also include some good internet safety advice.

There was an internet safety talk to KS2 children on the same day, but without mentioning Momo (nobody wanted children who hadn't heard of it getting interested and googling it). Children were reminded that if they saw something on the internet that upset or worried them then they should tell an adult. They were asked not to chat to each other about things that they had seen in case the little ones heard them and were upset. I think that was a pretty balanced and sensible approach.

Bloggee Wed 06-Mar-19 08:23:51

I decided to show DD a pic of the full “Momo”, it was then she laughed her head off and thought the whole thing was stupid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »