Talk

Advanced search

Any paediatrician/GP/nurse on here?

(15 Posts)
FrazzledNeedingCoffeeNow Sun 03-Mar-19 22:31:25

We are home!!!!

I don’t know why they didn’t check... DH has never taken any of the children to the doctor before, but I don’t drive, so couldn’t take her. Small local hospital maybe? Booboo, that is such a good information regarding the number, will use that if anything similar happens in France.

DD vomited on the way back, but I think that was due to her sister giving her chocolate and Diet Coke when I wasn’t looking (she had only water earlier in the day, so not the way to fill an empty tummy). DD’s throat is still hurting a lot, but her temperature is 38.8 C /101.8 with max dose of nurofen, so managed and I will call the GP surgery first thing tomorrow morning if she still is poorly. So happy to be back in the UK where I know what to do and can get around smile

Thank you so much for the posts and the handhold, it was so scary to have a very sick child in a foreign country!

Booboostwo Sun 03-Mar-19 19:21:18

3966 in France will get you through to the duty doctor who can direct you to an OOH GP, send you to the nearest A&E, or give advice over the phone. It is a really good service and they often speak English.

Hope you have made it back home and your DD is feeling better.

nocoolnamesleft Sun 03-Mar-19 18:39:29

Didn't check the throat? Oh for pity's sake, single most common focus for that high a temp in a child that age is tonsillitis (mostly, but not exclusively, viral) and they didn't check the throat? Grant me strength.

FrazzledNeedingCoffeeNow Sun 03-Mar-19 18:13:24

Sorry, on phone and lots of typos it seems x

FrazzledNeedingCoffeeNow Sun 03-Mar-19 18:12:18

Thank you so much for asking!

The hospital checked neck, chest and urine and sent her home. They said if she get worse, bring her back, if she doesn’t get better, see a doctor on Monday.

She is a pretty much the same today, maybe a bit worse (temperature still 40 C/104F, but coming down slightly with medicin, but she had eaten nothing today, has drunk lots of water though.

I am considering trying to take her to an out of hours doctor in the UK tonight (through 111) if the temperature gets unmanageable (we are travelling back atm). They didn’t check her throat (language issues and DH in charge) and she has complained about a very sore throat all day sad. The online paediatrician (still answering any amount of questions for £5 for the whole month!!!), thought we needed to exclude that there was a bacterial throat infection. If I can get the temperature down to below 39.5 C /103.1, I will just called our local GP first thing tomorrow morning.

I will update tomorrow

Thehop Sun 03-Mar-19 17:46:27

How is she OP?

HJWT Sun 03-Mar-19 17:42:50

@FrazzledNeedingCoffeeNow how is she doing ? Xx

FrazzledNeedingCoffeeNow Sat 02-Mar-19 21:33:07

Hi, thank you so much everyone. I thought so, but was worried about overrracting. I paid a £5 for a trial on a doctor service (chat online, full membership more expensive, but trial £5). Doctor said to get her seen. The temperature is so high that it suggests bacterial apparently. Also not good that it doesn’t respond that well to Calpol and nurofen.

My husband is taking her now. I have to wait with the our other DC in our borrowed flat sad. I would have liked to take her. And it is dark outside and icy, so worry about DH driving sadsad.

HJWT - she also has a runny nose and a cough, so was thinking a cold. Then fever didn’t go down....

TheHobbitMum Sat 02-Mar-19 21:11:34

Definitely get seen if the temp isn't controlled with max medicine. I hope she's well soon OP

Brownzy Sat 02-Mar-19 21:10:03

I've been to a French hospital before when my mate hit his head off a cupboard and they were fantastic. There was no wait either.

AndromedaPerseus Sat 02-Mar-19 21:08:13

If you can’t bring the temperature down to normal after maximum meds for most of the day she needs to be seen by a dr it usually indicates a persistent infection which needs to be found and treated

Foodylicious Sat 02-Mar-19 21:06:52

The temp on it's own not an issue.

The fact it's not responding to treatment suggests something serious could be underlying.

What ever it is needs assessing by a hcp.

Foodylicious Sat 02-Mar-19 21:05:13

Yep, get seen.

No one on here can tell you anything else helpful really.

HJWT Sat 02-Mar-19 21:03:35

You need go give more information.. just a temp doesn't explain much

FrazzledNeedingCoffeeNow Sat 02-Mar-19 20:58:13

Posting here for traffic....

We are currently in France, so cannot call 111

DD 6 has had a temperature just above 40C/104F on and off all day, but has always come down with Calpol, Nurofen. We have now given max dose of both, Calpol at 7.30 pm and Nurofen at 8pm (both UK time) and temperature is still 39.7C / 103.5F. Does it need to come down more and by when? We are considering taking her to local hospital to get seen.... any medical opinion very welcome

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »