Talk

Advanced search

or are some sellers on eBay far too optimistic?

(24 Posts)
HollyGoLoudly1 Sat 02-Mar-19 20:55:38

Been having a browse for a couple of things on eBay and I always wonder why some sellers set the starting price so high? For example I've just seen a particular baby item (apparently unused in the original box) and by the time you add on postage it's just the same price as buying it brand new in Boots! Zero bidders. Also spotted a dress that I bought myself last year, and again by the time you add on postage it's only a couple of pounds cheaper than it was brand new. Zero bidders.

See this time and time again, lots of items with high start prices and no bids. Why do sellers do this? Do they think people will pay full retail price for something from ebay? Or just hoping the buyer doesn't realise how much the item is brand new? I'm after a bargain on eBay and won't buy something I can get brand new for not much more (or the same price!) confused

Gardai Sat 02-Mar-19 21:03:44

I noticed this today too OP, hilariously optimistic sometimes.
I’ve no idea why they don’t do research and also eBay suggests an average selling price so they must be ignoring that too.
Maybe they don’t need the money or care if they sell ?

endevo Sat 02-Mar-19 21:07:29

I saw someone selling a used kids slide today, buy it now £50. It's £37.50 new off amazon 🤷‍♀️

RednaxelasPony Sat 02-Mar-19 21:08:58

Because sometimes people do buy at a daft price. Ikea furniture is listed at ridiculous prices too!

TwoRoundabouts Sat 02-Mar-19 21:14:21

There were a few baby things I wanted but were priced as new but without the free delivery so I brought new. There were other things I got given which I know the retail price off, and I have had to laugh at the price it was put on eBay for.

CocaColaaa Sat 02-Mar-19 21:16:49

I just seen someone selling a tin of paint on a fb page for £10. They paid £15 for it apparently, only I looked it up and it was actually on sale at £10 aswell with £12 being the original price not £15.

Inapickle230 Sat 02-Mar-19 21:18:51

It’s amazing what some things do fetch though. I was watching a jojo dress earlier than went for £13, inc p&p it was £16. To buy new it was £19 and there are always offers on. I was looking at some wooden blocks, £6 inc delivery, the same price as new. There aren’t as many bargains as there used to be I don’t think.

Tohaveandtohold Sat 02-Mar-19 21:19:17

Yanbu, I always notice this too. When I go on eBay it’s because I’m looking for a bargain. Why would I pay almost the retail price for an item that I can’t return if it does not suit me.

rosydreams Sat 02-Mar-19 21:26:56

i saw someone selling a half tub of baby formula for full price on facebook other day rofl

another i saw a muddy pair of very worn kids trainers for a fiver on ebay =p

so daft

tor8181 Sat 02-Mar-19 21:26:56

i love the sneaky ones that buy from poundland and sell for much more and stupid people pay it

Clevs Sat 02-Mar-19 21:27:30

I saw a bidding war on something the other day that ended up going for more than you can buy the item for on Amazon with free postage 🤷‍♀️

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 02-Mar-19 21:33:39

I see it more on Facebook, people want almost full price for all kinda of old crap. Ikea can make sense because some cities don’t have them and I don’t think you can get delivery for small stuff.

Cranky17 Sat 02-Mar-19 21:35:07

The fb local selling sites are just as bad, trying to sell used baby toys for £25 or washing machines for £5 less than they purchased them for

Sparklesocks Sat 02-Mar-19 21:37:08

I think some people don’t do any research on how much things go for. Also there seems to be a real lack of understanding that as soon as you buy something from a shop the value drops. If you bought a dress for £35 6 months ago people aren’t likely to pay £35 second hand on eBay for it.

Biancadelrioisback Sat 02-Mar-19 21:39:04

Sometimes people need money? I've had something listed before which was £195 when new, I was selling it for £80, had loads of people contact me with really aggressive messages telling me that it was shit and I should list it for £5, or making me stupid offers like £1.99.

ParisWilton Sat 02-Mar-19 21:39:50

IKEA has decent resell because there aren't many stores nationwide. Their delivery is expensive plus some people despise going there so second hand is the dream!

I see a lot of very optimistic pricing on our local fb kids group. Why would you pay 1-5% less than rrp when you could buy it brand new and have the warranty (pushchairs etc)?

Hittapotamus Sat 02-Mar-19 21:45:40

Ikea second hand is great because I haven't had to make it myself (if it fits in a car)

makingmiracles Sat 02-Mar-19 21:59:13

Oh it’s definately batshit, just sold a book on fb, in fairness I’ve only read it once and bought it on amazon for £7 something, I just sold it for 5 and they had to pay postage....

I’ve had things go for silly money in the past on eBay when I didn’t think they were worth that much, also low value items that someone travels 70miles to collect....it’s all a bit weird!

Whenever I buy stuff I’m always checking what prices are on eBay/Amazon/google so it shocks me that other people obviously don’t.
There are some real bargains to be had but also some real optimistic sellers I agree!

Mummymummums Sat 02-Mar-19 22:10:04

On one of our local Facebook selling sites someone was trying to sell a £50 Next gift card for......."£50 no offers". With the words "just looking for what it's worth".
Someone commented suggesting that if she wanted to sell it she needed to take less than face value because why would someone buy it otherwise. She got quite cross and argued why should she sell it for less than it was worth!

janetforpresident Sat 02-Mar-19 22:27:57

People do this with branded clothing. I saw a jojo outfit on eBay the other day which with delivery would actually have cost me more because I had a 15% off voucher and can easily get to a store. I think it's just people not getting it. If you are an eBay buyer as well as a seller you tend to have more of an idea.

I suppose sometimes people are just not savvy and will pay it thinking they must be getting a bargain because it's on ebay plus some people fail to notice the delivery costs.

janetforpresident Sat 02-Mar-19 22:29:51

Mummymummums that made me giggle!!!

She should spend it on something in the sale then sell it on eBay bnwt I bet she would make profit then.

Mummymummums Sun 03-Mar-19 00:25:30

grin

ursuslemonade Sun 03-Mar-19 01:07:50

Seen a kids craft item last week, starting price was 2 quid +£3.45 postage. There was also option for offers. I've offered 2 quid accidently instead of bidding and it got ignored (prob rightly so) CF relisted it for the same starting price but with nearly 9 quid postage when it can be sent for in a standard medium sized parcel. No thanks!

GunpowderGelatine Sun 03-Mar-19 01:13:17

My SIL was trying to flog her DD's coat (BNWT) from Berghaus "bought this in the local high street store, wanted to take it back but lost the receipt, just want what I paid for it."

Why on earth would someone but a brand new jacket from a Facebook random when they can get it from the shop for the same price with an actual receipt?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: