Talk

Advanced search

To let 13 year old have Instagram?

(5 Posts)
Trickybrief Sat 02-Mar-19 19:45:42

Ds has just turned 13 and is begging for Instagram like his friends. He has ASD albeit he’s quite high functioning, and I have always been very anti social media for the children. I have Instagram myself but rarely use it so don’t know a lot about it tbh. I’m considering allowing it with the agreement I have his password.

Do your teens have Instagram? basically wondering if I’m being an over protective parent or sensible before deciding.

sleepismysuperpower1 Sun 03-Mar-19 11:38:49

my dd does, and she got it when she was 13. i was logged into her account so could see what she was doing and she had to have a private account. We haven't had any problems with it x

RiojaHaze Sun 03-Mar-19 11:47:05

My DD does and it's fine.

If you have Instagram yourself, you can link his account to yours. So rather than having to login with his details, you can have constant access to his account from your account which makes for easy monitoring.

Confusedbeetle Sun 03-Mar-19 12:01:25

No. There was a report in the paper yesterday about the massive increase in cases of grooming on Instagram. Young people are very trusting and also naive

TheSandgroper Sun 03-Mar-19 12:32:05

DD does. So I do, too. She has classmates from primary and current school on it as that's how they do it. Also cousins both local and overseas. I check it regularly and if I don't recognize the name/can't reconcile it with the class list, I ask for justification.

I wish she didn't follow the blokes from Bondi Rescue but she does. I hope they are fairly harmless. I try to keep other sites to the minimum. No Kardashians or such.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »