Talk

Advanced search

To not understand this latest baking trend?

(74 Posts)
scotx Sat 02-Mar-19 18:16:26

I love a bit of home baking and follow a lot of cake makers etc. on instagram. I can't understand this latest trend of putting chocolate bars, sweets and biscuits out of a packet on homemade bakes especially from people who are then selling them to the public as a business. So they're making say a chocolate chip cookie or a brownie and then sticking a Jaffa cake or a jammie dodger on it! I understand say maltesers to decorate a cake or a rocky road made with broken up chocolate bars but what's the point of buying home made and half of what you're paying for is a biscuit out of a packet.

StealthPolarBear Sat 02-Mar-19 18:20:43

I agree, have started to see these in bakeries etc. I am a chocoholic but a cake is a cake, a chocolate bar is a chocolate bar. I don't want them combined.
Ds had a huge muffin cupcake with an entire Oreo stuck in the buttercream. It left me cold.

StealthPolarBear Sat 02-Mar-19 18:21:06

Yet individual I probably like everything he had iyswim.

scotx Sat 02-Mar-19 18:22:16

Yes exactly whole biscuits being used to decorate sponge cakes.

ILoveMaxiBondi Sat 02-Mar-19 18:23:46

It’s a gimmick really. Just to change things up a bit and hold the customers’ interest so they keep buying. There’s only so much that you can do with a chocolate chip cookie to make it worth buying. Adding a jammie dodger to it grabs a bit of attention in photos and has people clicking on your page. I’m not a a baker at all btw. I just see this for what it is.

MinisterforCheekyFuckery Sat 02-Mar-19 18:24:14

YANBU. This annoys me too. It just shows a lack of imagination imo.

Whynham Sat 02-Mar-19 18:24:28

Lotus biscuits and Oreos sitting on top of donughts is a new one I've seen. Just ruins the donughts imo

scotx Sat 02-Mar-19 18:26:23

I've seen lotus biscuits on top of a choc chip cookie. I just don't get it. It's like shoving 2 biscuits in your mouth at the same time.

GottenGottenGotten Sat 02-Mar-19 18:29:10

It's like shoving 2 biscuits in your mouth at the same time

I'm starting to see the appeal winkgrin

ILoveMaxiBondi Sat 02-Mar-19 18:29:59

Look at how big baking has become. All these shows dedicated to it. Reality tv baking competitions. Etc. People are constantly trying to come up with original ideas to beat whatever came before. This is just one of those new trends. It will give way to something else soon.

WhoWants2Know Sat 02-Mar-19 18:33:25

I'm sure we can think of a better trend all by ourselves.

ILoveMaxiBondi Sat 02-Mar-19 18:41:00

Go for it! I volunteer as taste tester. grin

Aeroflotgirl Sat 02-Mar-19 18:42:49

I really haven't thought about it, dd has asked for a Skittles cake to be baked professionally as part of her birthday present.

Notcontent Sat 02-Mar-19 18:46:56

This is a trend that has spread to the U.K. thanks to YouTube baking videos produced or sponsored by US food companies - so they can sell more Oreos, etc. I only know this because my 12 year old DD went through a stage of watching these...

Silvercatowner Sat 02-Mar-19 18:47:21

It's like shoving 2 biscuits in your mouth at the same time

Hmmm.... sounds pretty damn good to me....

Serin Sat 02-Mar-19 18:47:27

Surely the biscuits go soft really quickly?

WatchToTheEnd Sat 02-Mar-19 18:49:17

There's an immediate connection to a flavour and texture as well as it being premium (or otherwise) using a named brand.

NiteFlights Sat 02-Mar-19 18:55:41

Sounds revolting and a waste of money but I dare say the trend will soon go the way of the cake pop and other stupid baking fashions.

Melroses Sat 02-Mar-19 18:56:16

Surely there is a problem if you are selling a branded item on your own product, without a license from the brand owner hmm

fullprice Sat 02-Mar-19 19:00:45

I've seen lotus biscuits on top of a choc chip cookie. I just don't get it. It's like shoving 2 biscuits in your mouth at the same time.

Ermmmmm. Sounds delicious to me!

scotx Sat 02-Mar-19 19:00:55

@Melroses Hmm, I think might be a stretch to suggest they need a license. I would think the biscuits, choc bars etc just become another ingredient in the finished bake?

OlennasWimple Sat 02-Mar-19 19:01:01

Why, Melroses?

viques Sat 02-Mar-19 19:03:11

theres only so much you can do to a chocolate chip cookie to make it worth buying

What heresy is this? ilovemaxi you should be kneeling on marshmallows and beating yourself with liquorice laces to atone for this .

Bumblebeezy Sat 02-Mar-19 19:07:05

Even worse the cakes stuffed full of sweets in the middle that fall out when you cut the cake confused

I don't see the point?! It looks a mess yet seems to be all the rage. I want my cake and sweets separate!

Switsy Sat 02-Mar-19 19:07:25

I agree if I'm going to have a slice of cake I want a really good slice of cake not one bulked out with cheap biscuits.

Saw this abomination recently and thought, what's the bloody point of that!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »