Talk

Advanced search

To ask for help choosing a Vendee campsite?

(23 Posts)
brummieforceofnature Sat 02-Mar-19 12:32:56

Unashamedly posting for traffic, sorry! I've got campsite fatigue after looking at what feels like millions on line (ok, not quite but rather a lot!). Trip advisor is both a blessing and a curse as I end up focussed on the bad reviews even if there are way more good ones

So, we want a campsite with nice big pitches for tents, decent pool with some slides, nice play areas and footy pitch, a bar area. But, I don't want it to be too massive as I'd like my kids (7 and 10) to be able to have some freedom, I'd really like it to be good in the nighttime noise curfew, and really really hope to avoid mosquitoes! It doesn't have to be really close to the beach.

So, MN geniuses, can you help??

Overrunwithlego Sat 02-Mar-19 12:37:38

We went to La Garangeoire when the kids were a little younger - n fact we went two years running which is unheard of for us! They just loved it and it was the first time a holiday with young kids really felt like a holiday.

brummieforceofnature Sat 02-Mar-19 12:42:44

Thanks! I looked at that but sadly it's booked up for our datessad

profpoopsnagle Sat 02-Mar-19 12:48:09

RCN Ferme du Latois in Coex

massive pitches,
pool is great for your ages of kids with a few slides
bouncy castle
sports field- our son was up there every night playing football, and when we were there, all comers were welcome to the game, elder kids encouraged want to be players on the side to join a team.
restaurant and bar
shop which does fresh bread and croissants daily
low key kids club- craft in the mornings, talent competitions etc
lake you can boat on or fish- but there are many pitches away from here if you want to limit the mozzies.

It is a Dutch chain, so the clientele is predominately Dutch, with some Belgians, British, Irish and other Europeans. And it's a big site but there is so much space, you are not at all crammed in. My children were a similar age when we went and if felt very safe for them to explore by themselves.

Gaunyersel Sat 02-Mar-19 12:50:04

Le Pin Parasol - 10 mins up the road from Le Garangoire - great pool and facilities, we had a great time there.

Ruth2009 Sat 02-Mar-19 12:51:43

Le chapponet brem sur mer is very nice. We went about 4 years ago and think they have improved the pool since then.

Nottheboreworms Sat 02-Mar-19 12:54:05

Was also going to say La Garageoire but just saw you say it's booked. Not sure if you just mean the pitches? We stayed in one of their mobile homes and it was fab.

Nottheboreworms Sat 02-Mar-19 12:55:09

We've also stayed at Bel which is much smaller and closer to the beach.

Fishwifecalling Sat 02-Mar-19 12:55:44

I don't know but make sure you go to Le puy du fou. Book in advance for the night show.
Amazing place.

kateandme Sat 02-Mar-19 12:57:43

Oh there is our with awful tiny teeeeeny pitches but I can't remember the name it was shocking

brummieforceofnature Sat 02-Mar-19 14:30:35

Thanks everyone! Profpoop that site looks really good. What was the mozzie situation like there? And was there a good enough mix of English and Dutch kids? Mine played really lovely with some Dutch kids last year, but were glad of the English kids around purely because of the language issue.

Wer2Next Sat 02-Mar-19 14:30:47

Bump

anniehm Sat 02-Mar-19 14:38:59

We went half way between les sables and La Rochelle, walk to beach via a path and kids could have complete run of the site including fetching the croissants.

AleFailTrail Sat 02-Mar-19 14:40:35

I practically spent every summer of my hols hood at Le Clary’s Plage. Water slides, sports things, 500m from the beach of St Jean de Monts

Lovewineandchocs Sat 02-Mar-19 14:45:28

Le pin parasol and L’Oceano d’Or are both good.

Rocketpants50 Sat 02-Mar-19 14:48:31

Pin parasol was lovely, nice pool and the lake was lovely. Is not near coast, though didnt like St Jean de Monts at all so maybe a blessing. Not too far from puy du fou which is a must with children.

froomeonthebroom Sat 02-Mar-19 14:50:54

Was going to say La Garangeoire too...

Sorry to hijack but lovewineandchocs we are going to L'oceano d'or this year. Glad to hear you would recommend it! Any tips?

profpoopsnagle Sat 02-Mar-19 14:54:03

brummie I can't recall mozzies being a problem, but we were on pitch 125 , they might have been worse nearer the lake. I think there would have been around 15 British families on site when we were there in August. We did feel at times it was a Dutch enclave in France, but then if you go to a site frequented by Brits it can feel not like France too. We were opposite a British family and my son found some Irish lads he liked playing footie with.

If we went again, we'd probably ask to be nearer to the sports field. They have 4 loo blocks around the site, but the one opposite the lake, and the one by the cocoon accommodations were the nicest.

Lovewineandchocs Sat 02-Mar-19 15:36:02

Hi froomeonthebroom it is a lovely campsite. Are you staying in a tent or a mobile home? We got caught out by not reading the cleaning policy properly and ended up paying €50 for getting the mobile cleaned-we had done a surface clean and tidied the kitchen/living area but not a deep clean. Other than that, it’s great, lovely pool area with slides, good kids club, nice bar etc and reasonably compact site. Oh, watch out for the welcome drink-I almost accidentally gave my kids the one with alcohol in it! grin

brummieforceofnature Sat 02-Mar-19 17:19:02

Those of you who've been to La Grarangeoire, do you know anything about the bivouac pitches? They're available and look quite cool. The campsite map doesn't help at all in working out where they are on site, though.

sourdoh Sat 02-Mar-19 17:23:41

La Cheniae, about 45 mins south of St Nazaire, so might be just outside the Vendee. Stayed with Yelloh Villages.

Lovely lovely site. Not too big or small
Its possible to book direct

www.campinglachenaie.com

Nottheboreworms Sat 02-Mar-19 18:14:44

I don't remember seeing the bibouac pitches but I do remember that we emailed to ask about the location of our mobile home and they were very happy to help. They sent a map with all the pitches set out and with our home marked - so they are really friendly and helpful if you drop them a line.

froomeonthebroom Sun 03-Mar-19 21:28:38

Thanks lovewine I can't wait!

brummie I don't know about bivouac pitches but in 2015 the camping pitches were in the bottom left of the map as you look at it and touring caravans were top left. I don't think it matters where your pitch is though; although the site is fairly big you won't be far from the main areas wherever you are.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: