Talk

Advanced search

To think ALL porridge oats are the same...

(110 Posts)
WFTisgoingoninmyhead Sat 02-Mar-19 10:28:14

This is somewhat lighthearted, but can a person really tell the difference between Scott’s Porridge Oats and Harvest Morn (Aldi) Porridge Oats. My DH claims he can! The ingredients on both boxes say 100% Oats. I think he is just being a bit precious and a little snobby but I am happy to be proven wrong. I make muesli with the offending Oats and that tastes just the same to me.

PickAChew Sat 02-Mar-19 18:58:23

As long as they're not full of husk and rolled, rather than cut or milled, I'm fine with the cheaper ones. I usually get the big bags from Sainsburys. I like my porridge slow cooked, anyhow, so it thickens properly. It's less carby, that way, too, as I only need 30g of oats in 250ml of soya milk. Good jumbo oats are lovely but a bad batch never thickens.

Oysterbabe Sat 02-Mar-19 18:51:34

I get the cheapo ones and find them fine for porridge with a bit of honey.

zzzzz Sat 02-Mar-19 18:50:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Random18 Sat 02-Mar-19 18:44:26

YANBU

I don’t actually buy expensive ones - just Tesco own.

But I won’t buy Aldi or Lidl ones

Had some Asda jumbo oats recently and they were very different from our normal ones.

My DS has porridge every morning so we go through loads

ChesterGreySideboard Sat 02-Mar-19 18:43:05

Also I notice that Scotts spell it 'porage'.

ChesterGreySideboard Sat 02-Mar-19 18:40:56

At one point there were two types of Scotts. One was Traditional and one was Old Fashioned.
I got the wrong sort once. They ended up as flapjack.

youvegottobekidding Sat 02-Mar-19 18:38:19

DH eats a shitload of porridge. Has been eating Aldi's basic range for ages, until a couple of days ago, when he said they must have changed them, so now he's switched to some other brand, he said it was worth paying the extra 50p for!

motherheroic Sat 02-Mar-19 18:15:09

Nah, some are dusty and gritty like Ready Brek.

Dakiara Sat 02-Mar-19 17:45:11

Another vote for Sainsbury's Organic oats here - they make really lovely porridge. 🙃

Vitalogy Sat 02-Mar-19 16:13:33

Quaker oats are nice and smooth my favourite. Don't like the large chunky ones with some of the other brands.

RedRiverShore Sat 02-Mar-19 16:12:41

I quite fancy some Macroom Oatmeal, it doesn’t look like it can be easily bought outside of Ireland though.

Asta19 Sat 02-Mar-19 16:09:13

I only like ready brek grin lumpy porridge makes me gag.

ShintyStickHitsShins Sat 02-Mar-19 16:05:50

Flahavan also have their own mill.

NottonightJosepheen Sat 02-Mar-19 16:00:15

*Macroom Oatmeal is a traditional stone-ground Irish oatmeal produced in Macroom, County Cork, Ireland, at Walton's Mill, the last surviving stone mill in Ireland.
Macroom oatmeal is stone-ground, then kiln-toasted.*

Definitely not from a generic oat factorysmile.

Rainsunshine Sat 02-Mar-19 15:55:37

As with most other foods, it will be made in one factory and then put in different packaging. I can’t imagine there being an oat factory for every variation 🤷🏼‍♀️

boomfloom Sat 02-Mar-19 15:54:56

We use Lidl Simply Porridge Oats (a kilo for 75p) and DH makes our porridge on the stove using a spurtle. No milk, just water. It's lovely and the texture is just perfect.

HappyGoGoLucky Sat 02-Mar-19 15:49:01

I can't tell any difference. It's all produced in the same factory but put into different packaging.

CinammonPorridge Sat 02-Mar-19 15:44:53

I would do a blind taste test.

Please inform us all of the results.

ambereeree Sat 02-Mar-19 15:42:15

Sainsburys so organic are very nice. OP you are being unreasonable and so very wrong.

3in4years Sat 02-Mar-19 15:41:44

Made me laugh so much when my pfb was 6 months and a 'mum friend' asked if it was safe to feed her baby porridge. She said she'd definitely get the low sugar low salt kind... I had to explain that oats are oats.

notanothernam Sat 02-Mar-19 15:36:37

My boys do! We do overnight oats for breakfast, usually do Quakers, did a cheaper brand (do it the night before so they never see) and they knew! They didn't like them! They did look less smooth.

NottonightJosepheen Sat 02-Mar-19 14:42:13

Ballymaloe cookery School ( Darina/Rachel Allen) serves porridge made with cream from their Jersey cows, if you’re doing a cookery course there. The porridge is like a really delicious pudding-probably ridiculously calorific but soooooo nice.

Yes, they serve the oats I recommended, Macroom Oatmeal!

limitedperiodonly Sat 02-Mar-19 14:41:18

Not porridge - bit of a diversion into milk - but when we were 14 my friend and I went pony trekking in the Brecon Beacons. We stayed on a farm with other teenagers and we were all assigned chores.

We got what we thought was the short straw. We had to get up at 7am - 30 minutes earlier than everyone else - and set out the breakfast things. The task included lugging in a heavy churn of milk left outside by the milkers at about 5am and ladling it into jugs for people to have on their cornflakes.

On the first morning I put the ladle in and it bounced off the surface. It was solid cream about four inches thick. We ate a kind of cornflakes and cream mousse every day for a week and put the milk in the jugs for everyone else. I put on half a stone that week. However, I weighed only about 6 and a half stones so it didn't matter. Those days are gone sad

howabout Sat 02-Mar-19 14:34:43

YABU Scotts are the best. I prefer the original to the old fashioned though.

bluechameleon Sat 02-Mar-19 14:32:40

I've only recently started eating porridge and have been buying the formerly-Tesco Value ones. This thread has made me realise that I must never buy more expensive ones because I might realise the ones I eat are horrible. In my current state of ignorance I like them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »