Talk

Advanced search

To think ALL porridge oats are the same...

(110 Posts)
WFTisgoingoninmyhead Sat 02-Mar-19 10:28:14

This is somewhat lighthearted, but can a person really tell the difference between Scott’s Porridge Oats and Harvest Morn (Aldi) Porridge Oats. My DH claims he can! The ingredients on both boxes say 100% Oats. I think he is just being a bit precious and a little snobby but I am happy to be proven wrong. I make muesli with the offending Oats and that tastes just the same to me.

Vitalogy Sat 02-Mar-19 16:13:33

Quaker oats are nice and smooth my favourite. Don't like the large chunky ones with some of the other brands.

Dakiara Sat 02-Mar-19 17:45:11

Another vote for Sainsbury's Organic oats here - they make really lovely porridge. 🙃

motherheroic Sat 02-Mar-19 18:15:09

Nah, some are dusty and gritty like Ready Brek.

youvegottobekidding Sat 02-Mar-19 18:38:19

DH eats a shitload of porridge. Has been eating Aldi's basic range for ages, until a couple of days ago, when he said they must have changed them, so now he's switched to some other brand, he said it was worth paying the extra 50p for!

ChesterGreySideboard Sat 02-Mar-19 18:40:56

At one point there were two types of Scotts. One was Traditional and one was Old Fashioned.
I got the wrong sort once. They ended up as flapjack.

ChesterGreySideboard Sat 02-Mar-19 18:43:05

Also I notice that Scotts spell it 'porage'.

Random18 Sat 02-Mar-19 18:44:26

YANBU

I don’t actually buy expensive ones - just Tesco own.

But I won’t buy Aldi or Lidl ones

Had some Asda jumbo oats recently and they were very different from our normal ones.

My DS has porridge every morning so we go through loads

zzzzz Sat 02-Mar-19 18:50:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oysterbabe Sat 02-Mar-19 18:51:34

I get the cheapo ones and find them fine for porridge with a bit of honey.

PickAChew Sat 02-Mar-19 18:58:23

As long as they're not full of husk and rolled, rather than cut or milled, I'm fine with the cheaper ones. I usually get the big bags from Sainsburys. I like my porridge slow cooked, anyhow, so it thickens properly. It's less carby, that way, too, as I only need 30g of oats in 250ml of soya milk. Good jumbo oats are lovely but a bad batch never thickens.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »