Talk

Advanced search

To think ALL porridge oats are the same...

(110 Posts)
WFTisgoingoninmyhead Sat 02-Mar-19 10:28:14

This is somewhat lighthearted, but can a person really tell the difference between Scott’s Porridge Oats and Harvest Morn (Aldi) Porridge Oats. My DH claims he can! The ingredients on both boxes say 100% Oats. I think he is just being a bit precious and a little snobby but I am happy to be proven wrong. I make muesli with the offending Oats and that tastes just the same to me.

GreenThing Sat 02-Mar-19 10:31:24

Kind of.

I am not fussy so generally buy the cheapest, but the big massive fluffy oats are nice in winter sometimes.

A bit less dusty and gruel-like.

ShintyStickHitsShins Sat 02-Mar-19 10:32:04

I don't think they are all the same, no. The size of them is different so the texture of the porridge/muesli changes. Aldi oats are completely different from the Jordan ones for example. I haven't had Scott's for years, but if they are like the Jordan ones, then yes I'd be able to tell the difference (sorry grin )

JustDanceAddict Sat 02-Mar-19 10:32:53

Some are more substantial than others I expect hence ‘jumbo’ oats. Some might be the sweepings off the floor 😆

WFTisgoingoninmyhead Sat 02-Mar-19 10:34:08

JustDanceAddict
They were his exact words this morning grin

roses2 Sat 02-Mar-19 10:34:31

My kids have porridge for breakfast every day. There is definitely a difference. DH prefers the chunky oats. If you look at the nutritional information you will see they have different fat/salt/carb levels.

The cheap ones don't taste as good.

Knittedfairies Sat 02-Mar-19 10:35:14

I agree with your husband; there is a definite difference.

needsahouseboy Sat 02-Mar-19 10:35:39

See I always thought that but then tried some cheap ones and they were nasty!

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sat 02-Mar-19 10:36:15

There’s definitely a noticeable difference!

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Sat 02-Mar-19 10:36:29

you have to do a proper experiment

buy both, and swap the contents over see if he notices. I bet he won't. He only moans cos he imagines the aldi ones are different.

moomin4071 Sat 02-Mar-19 10:36:59

I like the big oats from Aldi, the Kavanagh brand

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 02-Mar-19 10:37:13

My children can & I can see the difference between Scots & Tesco bog standard (my usual choice but occasionally substituted for the former). They'll just comment that they've got less little bits.

Singlenotsingle Sat 02-Mar-19 10:39:03

The cheaper oats are like dust and go all gluey in your mouth

TidyDancer Sat 02-Mar-19 10:39:45

Yep there's definitely a difference. I am a lazy morning person so we have the oat pouches here. Oats so simple taste very different from the Tesco ones for eg and they are both plain.

WFTisgoingoninmyhead Sat 02-Mar-19 10:40:33

Shown him these replies he is so thrilled with himself and is donning his coat to go to the COOP to get his beloved Scott’s ones again.

siestakey Sat 02-Mar-19 10:40:32

They're really not. Cheap ones taste like dust. Flahavans Irish oats (sp?) are the best imo.

Camomila Sat 02-Mar-19 10:41:31

We usually get the harvest morn sachets or the tube of Asda own brand but my favourites are the post Irish ones in a tube (from Waitrose)

I had starbucks oatmeal this morning, I was disasapointed but DS liked it.

DamonSalvatoresDinner Sat 02-Mar-19 10:41:43

I don't know about porridge specifically but in most foods of a similar nature they are sorted into the highest quality parts and the less desirable ones. Nuts for example. Only the healthiest, largest defect free peanuts are used in the expensive brands (KP springs to mind) and the rest are sold off cheaper to lesser brands. You can tell when you taste them.
My stepdad works in designing and supplying plant machinery for food processing factories and often comes home with a selection of the foods that don't pass the stringent quality checks.

There's a difference.

greenelephantscarf Sat 02-Mar-19 10:42:36

yanbu
I can tell the difference between thick cut and fine. but that's it.
aldi ones are thick cut, which I don't like but they are the same as any big brand thick/steel cut ones imo.

ShintyStickHitsShins Sat 02-Mar-19 10:42:49

Mmm I like Flahavans too. Plus the Jordan's Organic, they're lovely.

Smokeahontas Sat 02-Mar-19 10:43:11

They’re definitely different!

I don’t like Quaker Oats but I do like Co-Op’s Apple & Cinnamon in the little tubs & Tesco own brand.

But even down to where the oats come from, how they’re milled etc, they will be different.

DamonSalvatoresDinner Sat 02-Mar-19 10:44:32

I'm still upset about the time I poured myself a big bowl of coco-pops only to discover on my first mouthful that they were in fact "Chico-Snaps" cheapies we had bought and decanted into a cereal container to save money. I never made that mistake again. The whole bowl went down the loo. Nasty stuff. 🤮

TinklyLittleLaugh Sat 02-Mar-19 10:46:14

We buy Aldi posh organic oats and Aldi cheapo oats.

DH makes granola with the posh ones and we have porridge with the cheap ones. I find porridge with the posh ones too lumpy: I like my porridge a bit gruely.

Bloodybridget Sat 02-Mar-19 10:48:03

I'd have thought they were all the same - well, obviously jumbo oats are much bigger and have a different texture - but the value oats I've been buying recently make a thinner porridge with the same amount of liquid. I can't detect a difference in taste.

CarolDanvers Sat 02-Mar-19 10:48:55

No I don’t agree. Tesco Finest really are the best I have ever used. You can really tell the difference.

FreeButtonBee Sat 02-Mar-19 10:52:45

Only flahavans here. Nice big chunky oats, need a decent amount of slow cooking to get porridge but never descends into glue.

Hahaha88 Sat 02-Mar-19 10:52:46

This post has got me shock I've genuinely never thought there was a difference in porridge oats

IwantedtobeEmmaPeel Sat 02-Mar-19 10:54:57

I agree with your husband, but would second/third the recommendation for Flahavans porridge oats, tell your DH to give those a try.

BitchQueen90 Sat 02-Mar-19 10:55:38

I use Asda value ones. I'm not picky about things like that, I put fruit and milk in mine so you can't really taste the oats anyway.

PrivateIsles Sat 02-Mar-19 10:56:32

Yes Flahavans all the way! I think I can definitely tell the difference if we get anything else...

FuckyNel Sat 02-Mar-19 10:56:52

Lidl oats are great. Better actually imo than the Waitrose essential tiny ones

NWQM Sat 02-Mar-19 10:58:31

Oh my yes you can. I’m all for shops own brands and no fancy packaging but sometimes spending a little bit more is very justifable.

bellabasset Sat 02-Mar-19 10:59:20

I like the jumbo ones am unable to get Jordans but the 750g Tesco Organic jumbo ones are a good substitute. Your dh is right.

Time40 Sat 02-Mar-19 11:01:10

Oh gosh, yes; there's a huge difference. Massive. Quaker are the only oats I've ever been able to eat with any pleasure. Every other type I've ever tried hasn't come close. Scott's make particularly horrible porridge - tasteless and lumpy, with hard bits.

Nothinglefttochoose Sat 02-Mar-19 11:03:42

Yes

babycatcher411 Sat 02-Mar-19 11:03:42

@Hahaha88

This post has got me shock I've genuinely never thought there was a difference in porridge oats

Ditto, I’ve always just picked up a big bag of the cheapest. I love anything oaty, particularly home made, I can’t believe I’ve been potentially missing out.
I think I need to re-evaluate my life choices.

Dieu Sat 02-Mar-19 11:05:27

I think there is a difference, probably in texture more than anything. Good oats are bigger and firmer in texture. Cheap oats are more 'dusty'.
The nicest I've found are Tesco organic oats.
My kids still prefer the microwaveable porridge sachets though. They prefer soft oats to chewy ones confused

StoppinBy Sat 02-Mar-19 11:07:54

I have a certain brand I like and I wont but the quick cook oats as I don't like the texture.

Not really sure why though - maybe it has something to do with the area they are grown in?

Hahaha88 Sat 02-Mar-19 11:09:30

@babycatcher411
Me too!! My ds and I love a bowl of porridge. I like mine thick though so maybe cheap ones are my thing? hmm I'm not keen on microwave or instant one's, they seem too much like ready brek than porridge

FriendOrFaux Sat 02-Mar-19 11:12:16

Quaker Jumbo oats here. Highly recommended!
I'm just having a bowl now for a late breakfast.

cariadlet Sat 02-Mar-19 11:12:37

I assumed that all porridge oats would be the same and we generally just buy supermarket own brand anyway, but my dp once brought the supermarket value ones and they were horrible.

After reading this thread I might treat myself to a bag of Flahavans.

MaybeitsMaybelline Sat 02-Mar-19 11:12:53

Dh can tell the difference between Quaker and Scott’s but he prefers Scott’s not Quaker. I have to say I prefer the original Scott’s to the Scott’s jumbo oats. I like mine with banana in the bottom, mixed nuts on the and a drizzle of golden syrup.

NunoGoncalves Sat 02-Mar-19 11:14:57

The difference, as pointed out, really only relates to size, but that does make quite a difference to texture. I don't like certain brands because they're too big and that makes chewy lumpy porridge.

WhentheDealGoesDown1 Sat 02-Mar-19 11:15:31

Definitely not the same, DH will only eat Scotts original porage oats, my favourites are Flahavan's Irish porridge oats. I used to like Dorset foods ones in the sachets but they have been discontinued.. I don't like cheap dusty oats or the quaker sachets of oats.

My absolute favourites are the Flahavan's 3 seed and oat bran sachets or Apricot, Raison and Sunflower seed. I buy in bulk from Waitrose the rare times they are on offer.

Rory786 Sat 02-Mar-19 11:18:47

Jumbo oats are far superior, we eat the ASDA brand and its much better than regular.

WhentheDealGoesDown1 Sat 02-Mar-19 11:18:52

cariadlet Definitely get the Flahavans you won't regret it as many on this thread agree

MustShowDH Sat 02-Mar-19 11:21:30

I'll happily eat most cheapie brands like Tesco value etc, but Aldi changed theirs a few months ago and seem really husky/rough not very nice now.

GreigLaidlawsbarofsoap Sat 02-Mar-19 11:24:51

Absolutely with your DH! there's a huge difference in texture and the smoothness of the porridge produced.

My favourite is Stoats, makes amazing porridge (especially with double cream haha) I'm not sure if they are just a Scottish brand but if you see them (on lowest shelf in our Tesco, swines trying to push their own brands!) then definitely get them for your DH to try.
Haven't seen the Flavahans recommended here but will keep an eye out! 👀

Lifeofa Sat 02-Mar-19 11:25:56

You need to blind taste test different ones then issue a grovelling apology! I am not fussy but I have been traumatised by cheaper porridge which proved wasteful ( Do I need to say lighthearted?)

Waveysnail Sat 02-Mar-19 11:27:47

Love Tescos value oats or whatever brand the are now but asdas cheap ones are disgusting.

Waveysnail Sat 02-Mar-19 11:29:29

Asdas cheap ones are way too slimey.

WhentheDealGoesDown1 Sat 02-Mar-19 11:29:49

I might have a look out for the Stoats porridge also as I do like a good porridge.

Thatsnotmyotter Sat 02-Mar-19 11:36:41

We usually buy 75p Asda Smartprice pats because in the quantity DH eats them, I can’t be spending too much. However my DPs gave us a bag of Flahavan’s recently, claiming that they were ‘the best oats ever’... and to be fair, they were right. blush

PaintBySticker Sat 02-Mar-19 11:44:50

We’re all about the Flahavans in this house too. I started buying them because they come in a paper bag rather than plastic so more environmentally friendly too (I hope). Owe buy from Ocado.

JohnnyKarate Sat 02-Mar-19 11:46:18

I buy oats for a living, among other things, and it is hard to comprehend just how many different types of oats there are out there on the market. I have tasted a lot of oats and can definitely taste the difference in them that it’s actually annoying I can’t buy cheap oats anymore.

Last week we’ve been testing out oat milks, I’m sick of the sight of it now, but they also were noticeably different depending on the type of oat used.

TwinkleTits70 Sat 02-Mar-19 12:10:18

Cheap ones taste like cardboard and go a sludgy shade of grey. Has to be decent quality oats in this house. Preferably jumbo.

NottonightJosepheen Sat 02-Mar-19 12:14:50

Macroom Oatmeal, stoneground from freshly roasted oats is the best.

Mmmmbrekkie Sat 02-Mar-19 12:15:56

Have you blind tested him?

TwinkleTits70 Sat 02-Mar-19 12:16:27

Can people stop recommending Flahavans please or everyone will know our secret and the supermarkets will sell out.

Greensleeves Sat 02-Mar-19 12:17:18

Cheap ones are brilliant for making face masks grin

Cwtches123 Sat 02-Mar-19 12:17:43

Mornflakes superfast oats are our favourite at the moment.

EvaHarknessRose Sat 02-Mar-19 12:20:55

<time to share my recently found out porridge knowledge> but did you know that porridge is more creamy if you stir it vigorously for five minutes with the thin end of a wooden spoon? (Whether made with milk or water)

2019willbegreat Sat 02-Mar-19 12:21:29

YABU OP - definitely a difference. Porridge oats is on my list of things that must be a certain brand along with tomato sauce and cling film.

2019willbegreat Sat 02-Mar-19 12:22:38

Changing the subject slightly- salt or sugar??? I can do both but live really salty porridge with double cream. Yumm

longtompot Sat 02-Mar-19 12:24:43

I never used to think there was a difference, until I bought Tesco own brand instead of Lidl cheapo. HUGE difference in that small jump. Much creamier and less husk bits. I would love to try Flannigans or one of the other more expensive ones I have seen suggested here one day.

longtompot Sat 02-Mar-19 12:26:10

@2019willbegreat I have a good pinch of salt wgen cooking them and then have cold milk around it and some dark brown sugar on top. Delish!

TheSilveryPussycat Sat 02-Mar-19 12:26:26

I think jumbo oats are sort of whole oats, rolled with the husk on (maybe).

Scotts porrige oats come in two ways, dont they? Scottish ones are slightly rougher, but I prefer the softer other sort.

Supermarket own brand are even softer, and can be dusty. These are the kind I buy, for porrige and flapjacks.

Irish oats are even softer, I wonder if this might be due to all the Irish rain?

Then there is oatmeal, coarse or fine ground.

Procrastination4 Sat 02-Mar-19 12:31:01

We used to get Flahavans porridge oats (an Irish brand) but now I always buy a brand in Aldi called Kavanagh’s Organic Porridge oats. The flakes aren’t as small and powdery as Flahavans (not jumbo oats, by the way) and they make much nicer, creamier porridge. So, in my experience, all porridge oats are not the same.

Procrastination4 Sat 02-Mar-19 12:32:28

Have only just seen the previous posts about Flahavansgrin ooops!!!!

Procrastination4 Sat 02-Mar-19 12:36:13

EvaHarknessRose
Yes! You are so right. I bought a “spootle” in Scotland last summer. Now I couldn’t use anything else to make my porridge!

Procrastination4 Sat 02-Mar-19 12:40:31

May be it’s a spurtle?? Anyway, my secrets for ovely porridge!

Procrastination4 Sat 02-Mar-19 12:41:07

Lovely...

switswoo81 Sat 02-Mar-19 13:15:24

I love flahvans ( made local to me) but find kavanaghs next best. Soak overnight in milk and seriously cuts cooking time really creamy too

outpinked Sat 02-Mar-19 13:28:56

Slightly. DP likes ‘rolled oats’ but I don’t, they are too chunky and chewy.

NannyR Sat 02-Mar-19 13:35:20

I've started making my porridge with steel cut pinhead oats. They make really thick and creamy porridge and are supposed to be lower GI and have more nutrition thank rolled oats.

Honeyroar Sat 02-Mar-19 13:39:13

I bought a packet of Aldi, Tesco and Tesco value, and compared the flakes. They all looked the same to me (I’ve fed rolled oats for decades through working with horses). If anything, the value oats looked biggest.

limitedperiodonly Sat 02-Mar-19 13:44:29

Porridge made with Jersey milk would be my death row meal. There's definitely a difference - I like Scott's the best - but usually settle for Sainsbury's own. I might try the others that people have recommended.

Honeyroar Sat 02-Mar-19 13:49:04

When my husband came out of hospital severely underweight and needing building up he had porridge made with double cream and lots of sugar. It was to die for! Especially next to my porridge made with semi
milk and fruit!

IckyPop Sat 02-Mar-19 13:59:23

FuckyNel I totally agree, Lidl oats are far superior, and they come in paper packaging or a box like the Scotts ones.

IrenetheQuaint Sat 02-Mar-19 14:05:40

Yes, massive variation. I like Mornflakes and Wiltons. Tesco's own brand are fine but Waitrose own brand are weirdly nasty, though not as bad as the gluten free oats I accidentally bought the other day.

NannyRed Sat 02-Mar-19 14:09:28

I often make porridge for breakfast, I’ve never been able to tell the difference between, cheap v expensive, mill ground v any other ground or large v small

Dahlietta Sat 02-Mar-19 14:10:45

I'm surprised there isn't more love for Quaker oats on here - they're my favourite (the proper ones, not the sachets). I don't like Jumbo oats at all.

limitedperiodonly Sat 02-Mar-19 14:12:19

Honeyroar I normally have semi-skimmed, sometimes whole but occasionally push the boat out with Jersey. It's fantastic. But yes, it is pretty calorific. Almost worth being very ill and needing building up for, which I was once grin.

Whatever kind of milk I'm using, I make it with only milk - no water. That ruins it and I can taste it if someone has sneaked some water in.

I top with lots of white granulated sugar and spill some cold milk on top to cool it and I eat from the outside in. But if you put the globby, yellowy Jersey milk on, it's heaven in a bowl.

Procrastination4 Sat 02-Mar-19 14:20:17

Ballymaloe cookery School ( Darina/Rachel Allen) serves porridge made with cream from their Jersey cows, if you’re doing a cookery course there. The porridge is like a really delicious pudding-probably ridiculously calorific but soooooo nice.

TwinkleTits70 Sat 02-Mar-19 14:20:50

I also need to vote for the Moma porridge sachets/pots. I have one for breakfast everyday at work. You just add water, but it's like proper homemade porridge. Not the wallpaper paste, yucky ones.

bluechameleon Sat 02-Mar-19 14:32:40

I've only recently started eating porridge and have been buying the formerly-Tesco Value ones. This thread has made me realise that I must never buy more expensive ones because I might realise the ones I eat are horrible. In my current state of ignorance I like them.

howabout Sat 02-Mar-19 14:34:43

YABU Scotts are the best. I prefer the original to the old fashioned though.

limitedperiodonly Sat 02-Mar-19 14:41:18

Not porridge - bit of a diversion into milk - but when we were 14 my friend and I went pony trekking in the Brecon Beacons. We stayed on a farm with other teenagers and we were all assigned chores.

We got what we thought was the short straw. We had to get up at 7am - 30 minutes earlier than everyone else - and set out the breakfast things. The task included lugging in a heavy churn of milk left outside by the milkers at about 5am and ladling it into jugs for people to have on their cornflakes.

On the first morning I put the ladle in and it bounced off the surface. It was solid cream about four inches thick. We ate a kind of cornflakes and cream mousse every day for a week and put the milk in the jugs for everyone else. I put on half a stone that week. However, I weighed only about 6 and a half stones so it didn't matter. Those days are gone sad

NottonightJosepheen Sat 02-Mar-19 14:42:13

Ballymaloe cookery School ( Darina/Rachel Allen) serves porridge made with cream from their Jersey cows, if you’re doing a cookery course there. The porridge is like a really delicious pudding-probably ridiculously calorific but soooooo nice.

Yes, they serve the oats I recommended, Macroom Oatmeal!

notanothernam Sat 02-Mar-19 15:36:37

My boys do! We do overnight oats for breakfast, usually do Quakers, did a cheaper brand (do it the night before so they never see) and they knew! They didn't like them! They did look less smooth.

3in4years Sat 02-Mar-19 15:41:44

Made me laugh so much when my pfb was 6 months and a 'mum friend' asked if it was safe to feed her baby porridge. She said she'd definitely get the low sugar low salt kind... I had to explain that oats are oats.

ambereeree Sat 02-Mar-19 15:42:15

Sainsburys so organic are very nice. OP you are being unreasonable and so very wrong.

CinammonPorridge Sat 02-Mar-19 15:44:53

I would do a blind taste test.

Please inform us all of the results.

HappyGoGoLucky Sat 02-Mar-19 15:49:01

I can't tell any difference. It's all produced in the same factory but put into different packaging.

boomfloom Sat 02-Mar-19 15:54:56

We use Lidl Simply Porridge Oats (a kilo for 75p) and DH makes our porridge on the stove using a spurtle. No milk, just water. It's lovely and the texture is just perfect.

Rainsunshine Sat 02-Mar-19 15:55:37

As with most other foods, it will be made in one factory and then put in different packaging. I can’t imagine there being an oat factory for every variation 🤷🏼‍♀️

NottonightJosepheen Sat 02-Mar-19 16:00:15

*Macroom Oatmeal is a traditional stone-ground Irish oatmeal produced in Macroom, County Cork, Ireland, at Walton's Mill, the last surviving stone mill in Ireland.
Macroom oatmeal is stone-ground, then kiln-toasted.*

Definitely not from a generic oat factorysmile.

ShintyStickHitsShins Sat 02-Mar-19 16:05:50

Flahavan also have their own mill.

Asta19 Sat 02-Mar-19 16:09:13

I only like ready brek grin lumpy porridge makes me gag.

RedRiverShore Sat 02-Mar-19 16:12:41

I quite fancy some Macroom Oatmeal, it doesn’t look like it can be easily bought outside of Ireland though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »