Talk

Advanced search

2 year old having cup of tea at nursery

(364 Posts)
Pumpkinsoup22 Sat 02-Mar-19 09:46:37

My dshas just moved out of baby room. When I collected him the other day was told he'd just had a cup of tea and biscuit. I assumed they were role playing and really meant water or milk. However the staff member said no real tea. AIBU to think this isn't really appropriate for 2 year olds.? Before this I've never had any concerns at all with the nursery.

EssentialHummus Sat 02-Mar-19 09:47:29

I expect it’s milk with a teabag wafted over it.

lottielady Sat 02-Mar-19 09:47:30

Is your child going to nursery in 1976?

PandaSky Sat 02-Mar-19 09:47:37

Was it a one off? Was it very weak/milky?

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Sat 02-Mar-19 09:51:52

I'm guessing cambric tea - nobody is going to give a toddler proper tea.

WhiteDust Sat 02-Mar-19 09:52:26

DON'T PANIC OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
We (my siblings and I) drank weak, lukewarm, milky tea out of beakers when we were tiny and we are still alive!!! 37.41,46 and 48 years later!

BreastSideStory Sat 02-Mar-19 09:53:24

I’m failing to see the issue? My son loves a cup of tea in the morning (mostly milk, dip my teabag in it)

Limensoda Sat 02-Mar-19 09:53:33

Never heard of children being given tea at nursery. I was in nursery in the early 1960s and it would never have been offered to toddlers at nursery even in those days although lots of families gave tea to their young children.
I was surprised when my 6 year old grandson had a drink of tea at a football match recently.

FudgeBrownie2019 Sat 02-Mar-19 09:53:35

I don't know if it's true but my Mum always said real tea reduces your body's ability to absorb calcium so shouldn't be given to children. If it's proper tea I'd just ask for him to not have any next time.

Doghorsechicken Sat 02-Mar-19 09:53:35

Both my little cousins drank tea at that age, I’m not sure what the problem is. They wouldn’t have given it to him scalding hot.

BreastSideStory Sat 02-Mar-19 09:54:31

nobody is going to give a toddler proper tea
Why not? The tiny amount of caffeine in it wouldn’t do any harm (may even be decaf!) There’s more caffeine in chocolate than a dip of a teabag

MissB83 Sat 02-Mar-19 09:55:54

Mine has cocoa type stuff at nursery (he's 1). I think it's fine!

user1493413286 Sat 02-Mar-19 09:57:24

I wouldn’t be happy about that; it’s very old fashioned and not something I’d let my 2 year old have

CouldBeAnyoneReally Sat 02-Mar-19 09:59:04

My dc have been drinking decaf tea since they were toddlers. It’s just a drink confused

Rootvegetables Sat 02-Mar-19 09:59:07

The tannins in tea actually inhibit iron absorption. I don't think I'd like my 2 year old having it everyday, also seems totally unnecessary really, why not warm milk or squash. I don't think I'd mind as a one off tea party role play but not part of the routine.

BreastSideStory Sat 02-Mar-19 09:59:36

@FudgeBrownie2019 I’ve never heard of it affecting calcium absorption, it can affect the body’s ability to absorb iron but if would have to be consumed in large quantities

Samind Sat 02-Mar-19 09:59:53

Yeah my siblings and I drunk tea when we were babies too. We all still love it 🥰 I've dropped the sugar though 😂 it was my mother who gave it to us!! I appreciate the difference between care giver and facility but it was never a strong brew like I'd have now. It actually made me smile reading your post.

JustDanceAddict Sat 02-Mar-19 10:00:09

DS loved tea as a toddler. It was milk w a tiny bit of tea in. We had a builder in at the time who drunk it by the bucketload so he was copying him. He still likes tea at 15 now!!

Karwomannghia Sat 02-Mar-19 10:00:12

My 2 year old likes to dip a biscuit in my tea, is that bad? Should I not let her? It’s yorkshire tea, quite strong.

Pumpkinsoup22 Sat 02-Mar-19 10:00:19

Was it a one off?

No they said it's most days.

Hellohappy Sat 02-Mar-19 10:00:44

I wouldn’t like that at all. I wouldn’t give a 2 year old a cup of tea at home (still don’t in their teens.) I can’t see why they would do that and it must be a lot of faff for the staff compared to giving them water.

mogtheexcellent Sat 02-Mar-19 10:03:12

Dd loves tea and has done since she was 1. Warm milk with a quick dunk of my used teabag. Cant see the fuss.

I drink umpteen gallons a day and kids have pretend tea sets so excluding young ones from the actual drink would be a bit weird. I mean you don't get wood wine bottles and glasses do you?

Pumpkinsoup22 Sat 02-Mar-19 10:05:12

The tannins in tea actually inhibit iron absorption. I don't think I'd like my 2 year old having it everyday, also seems totally unnecessary really, why not warm milk or squash. I don't think I'd mind as a one off tea party role play but not part of the routine

Exactly this. The cynical part of me thinks it might actually be certain staff who fancy tea and biscuits.

LettuceP Sat 02-Mar-19 10:05:16

I don't understand why they'd give them tea. What's the point? Surely they'd just give them milk, water, squash etc. I would definitely tell them I didn't want my dc having tea at that age so don't give them it again please.

newlyfrugal Sat 02-Mar-19 10:07:38

I don't see the problem really. Just tell them you don't want him drinking tea.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »