Talk

Advanced search

Bringing food to restaurant for under1

(15 Posts)
CatstorTroy Fri 01-Mar-19 21:24:38

I had no idea where to pop this so like all the other misplaced AIBU posts; here it is. Ive booked a table at a Family friendly restaurant on mothersday and will be bringing my now 7 month old (8 by then). Will i BU in bringing her a small selection to nibble on while we dine or is it cheeky? We're doing BLW and it keeps her super quiet and occupied which will be great for while we're eating. (the tables booked for 1700 if that makes a difference) Also when i booked the table and gave the number of diners i wasnt sure if i would need to include her since she wont be eating or require and entire space just a squeeze in of the high chair. Is it best if i phone them and let them know just incase its an issue.

Ive never worked in a restaurant or had a baby before so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!

MonsterKidz Fri 01-Mar-19 21:28:37

When you booked, you could have just said ‘table for x plus a highchair’. However, I don’t think it’s a big deal to have not mentioned it and to ask for one when you arrive.

With regards to food, it depends on what kind of restaurant and what type of food you intend to bring. I always had bits and pieces for my Los, little rice cakes, carrot sticks etc. never a problem. If I knew we were going to an Italian restaurant for example, I’d know we can get some breadsticks and maybe some plain pasta. I’d probably have had a pouch of food too if it was a meal time, or maybe I’d have fed LO first and just take snacks.

Creatureofthenight Fri 01-Mar-19 21:28:49

I would let them know you’ll need a high chair, and while you’re doing that ask about bringing food for baby. I’m sure they will have no problem with it but it’s nice to ask first!

moleeye Fri 01-Mar-19 21:28:58

Ask for a high chair for her, no-one will mind that you bring food for her and feed her. She's still titchy.

I always took food with me that I knew she would eat. Would also give some stuff of my plate (like a chip or pasta to hold) but no way would I get away with not giving her anything to eat whilst everyone else was!! She would be shouting the place down at 8 months 😂

And I wasn't prepared to order off the kids menus before she was one, complete waste of money IMO!

Windingstreams Fri 01-Mar-19 21:29:34

I don’t think it will be an issue - we never ordered a separate meal for our daughter until about 2.5.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Fri 01-Mar-19 21:29:59

I think some snacks for a baby is fine, but you should tell them you need a high chair. Lots of tables for 2 example might not have space for a high chair depending on configuration of the tables.

littlecabbage Fri 01-Mar-19 21:30:07

I have always taken my own food for a baby. It's unlikely the restaurant will have anything suitable (i.e. no salt, etc) and I'm sure their customers do it all the time.

Stuckforthefourthtime Fri 01-Mar-19 21:34:16

Take your own but if you're letting her play with food, make sure you are considerate about cleaning up the floor and chair a bit afterwards (or even midway), especially if it's a fairly nice place.
I used to work in a restaurant and it used to be horrible to clean up after the mums left, there would often be a filthy high chair and stuff thrown everywhere!

I'd call now and ask for a high chair as well, they might be packing it close for mother's Day and this ensures you get enough space and a high chair.

Pikehau Fri 01-Mar-19 21:37:09

With my first and second I always took steamed broccoli, veg, little butter sandwiches and gave food off my olatw too. by the time I got to dc 3 I didn't so yanbu. Just make sure you clear up any mess!

Neverender Fri 01-Mar-19 21:39:18

YANBU but do let them know you need a high chair or you might not get one.

TeddyIsaHe Fri 01-Mar-19 21:44:44

Restaurants don’t mind about little babes having their own food, it’ll be fine.

But yes to cleaning up after yourself! And if any parents who do not do that are reading this: you’re all arseholes.

CatstorTroy Sat 02-Mar-19 07:00:15

Thanks so much guys! Ill give them a call and let them know about the highchair and ill try to pick foods that make minial mess or are easiest to clean up after. smile

Huntawaymama Sat 02-Mar-19 08:02:32

I'm sure they won't mind but I always ask just to be polite

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 02-Mar-19 08:06:06

You don’t need to ask about feeding a baby, it’s standard. I kept flash wipes in my changing bag and would ask for a dustpan and brush for the crumbs.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sat 02-Mar-19 08:08:01

Assuming it's the sort of place that's child friendly/will have high chairs, I wouldn't even think of asking about bringing food for a baby of that age. We often did for very little Gdcs without asking - nobody ever turned a hair.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »