Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wish that AIBU was reserved for AIBUs?

(44 Posts)
Lockheart Fri 01-Mar-19 19:21:22

This is (semi)lighthearted, but is anyone else noticing lots of people posting completely irrelevant threads in AIBU "for traffic"? Or because "they don't know where else to post"? AIBU seems to be increasingly turning into a catch-all general board. I've been around MN for a good few years, and I've definitely noticed an uptick in this. I remember when all this were badly behaved neighbours, arguments with the family, and parking wars old gimmer

I've noticed lots of the main culprits can be broken down into the following categories:

"My DH is being a dick" - sorry to hear that, but there's a whole Relationships topic which will be more appropriate, will give you better advice, and will be less bunfighty.

"I can't be arsed to google travel tips / product reviews / instructions / recipes - give me yours" - YABU and lazy. If you can't figure out how a search bar works then at least post in the relevant topic. MN has loads of forums, go discover them! There's a travel board, a food board, a diet board, pets boards, there's even an entire products board!

"I need fashion / skincare / hair advice" - see above. Style and Beauty is thataway ^

"I need serious legal / professional advice". Top tip: strangers on an internet forum are almost certainly not your best bet. You will almost certainly get contradictory, often incorrect, confusing advice and you'll be no further forward (let's face it, we've all seen these threads where lots of posters tell each other they're wrong for 15 pages and in the end the OP is told just to go to the union or the CAB). See a RL professional.

"Let's discuss X TV show" - great! I love X tv show. But post it in chat or Telly Addicts FFS. The only thing you're being unreasonable about is posting it in here.

"Please diagnose a medical condition" (see also: "am I pregnant?") - why the hell are you asking people on the internet? Call a professional who can actually help! Or pee on a stick (delete as appropriate).

"To tell you about the great thing I discovered" - what do you think you're being unreasonable about, exactly?

Lots of people will come and say that the other boards don't get as much traffic, and that's true. But posting everything in AIBU isn't going to help matters is it? If you insist on posting in a board for traffic, at least do it in chat, which is the real generic catch-all board!

IANTFP (I am not the forum police grin ), but it's something I'm noticing more and more and it's annoying. Has anyone else noticed any genres I might have missed?

Or AIBU and I should resign myself to the fact that the Am I Being Unreasonable board is now in fact the Any Old Shite board?

OrangeCinnamon Fri 01-Mar-19 19:28:51

It has been for a while at least last 5 years imho. The worst are the AIBU that don't actually expect to be told yes! The ranters in other words

GivemeGivenchy Fri 01-Mar-19 19:30:27

I don't really care, if a thread is interesting or I have some valuable input I'm not really bothered if it fits in 100% to the category.

Lockheart Fri 01-Mar-19 19:30:59

Hmm I agree Orange but at least those posters actually are BU wink

BusySnipingOnCallOfDuty Fri 01-Mar-19 19:32:49

I've made one post on MN, just one. Few months ago
Still no replies.

Not in AIBU, but in thie designated place.

Fuxk that

Lockheart Fri 01-Mar-19 19:34:49

It doesn't have to fit in 100% Givenchy but when it's something like "To ask for your travel tips on whatever city" or "To ask which pillows are the best" it's contrived and lazy. They're blatantly not BU about anything.

GivemeGivenchy Fri 01-Mar-19 19:37:43

I must be too laid back - still not bothered 

GivemeGivenchy Fri 01-Mar-19 19:38:23

My smiley face disappeared 

KingMash Fri 01-Mar-19 19:39:57

YANBU

Lockheart Fri 01-Mar-19 19:43:38

Fair enough Givenchy!

FuzzyPuffling Fri 01-Mar-19 19:43:55

I posted in "Life Limiting illness" about something that I really would have liked a swift response to.
Three weeks later there was still nothing at all.
With that sort of lack of traffic, it's not surprising people post elsewhere. (I posted the same thing on AIBU,. acknowledging it wasn't the "correct" place, but within a day I had a couple of pages of very helpful replies.)

Angeladelight Fri 01-Mar-19 19:44:09

YANBU

Lockheart Fri 01-Mar-19 19:49:29

I agree Fuzzy but the problem with everyone posting everything in AIBU or Chat is that it perpetuates the lack of traffic to other areas of the site. Perhaps MN could signpost the less-well-visited areas or consolidate some boards into one.

Sparklingbrook Fri 01-Mar-19 19:52:42

AIBU=petty gripes.

Some posters never venture out of AIBU. confused

CalmdownJanet Fri 01-Mar-19 19:58:43

No no the WORST are the:

Aibu to think he is treating me like a mug
Aibu to think he has me wrapped around his finger
Aibu to think he is taking over my house

type ones and then its a post or a photo of op's fucking cat or dog, it makes me irrationally angry, I have to sit on my hands to stop myself replying

ethelfleda Fri 01-Mar-19 20:02:28

I can’t get worked up over how others use an Internet forum. Especially as I don’t own the Internet forum.
In fact, sometimes I’m glad as I’m not going to look on every single board to find a thread I might find interesting/can reply to. There are too many boards!! I’m one of the lazy ones who hardly ever ventures out of AIBU.

Sparklingbrook Fri 01-Mar-19 20:03:43

Praise be for the 'Hide Thread' function I say.

user1473878824 Fri 01-Mar-19 20:06:15

I do LOVE the posters that refuse to accept they’re being unreasonable though.

squishee Fri 01-Mar-19 20:08:02

YABU to post this in IABU rather than the more appropriate Site Stuff grin
But I do agree with you. I wish more people posted threads in In The News, for example.

Lockheart Fri 01-Mar-19 20:17:04

Oh no squishee I'm one of THEM!! grin

Sparklingbrook Fri 01-Mar-19 20:19:17

Is it this point in an AIBU where someone will come along and say OP is 'getting a hard time'? When they really aren't. grin

SurgeHopper Fri 01-Mar-19 20:25:32

I agree.

YANBU.

Carpetburns Fri 01-Mar-19 21:24:29

AIBU to ask when your DCc slept through hmm

UatuTheWatcher Fri 01-Mar-19 22:18:49

If no one has answered a thread that you have posted then give it a bump during a time you know that the boards are busy to bring attention to your post.

givemesteel Fri 01-Mar-19 22:36:23

Yanbu-ish.

I am one of those people that rarely ventures off aibu as eg of you go onto relationships you just get saturated by so many 'dh is a dick/loser/abuser' threads and it just starts to depress you. Same with the dog/cat ones,or education, too samey.

I like the variety of different people's dilemmas and that's what aibu is.

I agree with the 'tips' threads though, I don't think they should be on aibu but the issue is that you will get much more advice on aibu as loads of people still post on them.

Hiding threads is useful, though I wish you could change settings to automatically hide threads with keywords (Brexit... Trump...). I don't come on Mumsnet to get political opinion and those threads tend to be a howling ecochamber.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »