Talk

Advanced search

Not allowed to be unhappy

(3 Posts)
Ajw67 Fri 01-Mar-19 15:52:20

Reading through threads and the usual social media, it has become apparent that you aren't allowed to be unhappy / depressed if you are financially stable. It's almost the norm now to belittle people and their problems because they don't have money problems. The standard response is 'you don't know how lucky you are', 'other people are much worse off etc etc. Surely all happiness isn't linked to money, I accept it's one thing less to worry about but everyone has mental health needs and the person who appears to have everything may be really struggling.
And yes....financially ok (only ok) and unhappy (though not openly!)

Porridgeprincess Fri 01-Mar-19 15:55:59

I think that when you are genuinely worried about money it can be all consuming and it is hard to see past that. It is a hierarchy of needs that humans have. If you are scrambling to pay important bills you defintiely would lose empathy for someone who is able to.
But it doesn't make that right.
Social media is terrible though, people love to rip others apart and never consider what it is like in their shoes and that goes both ways

The80sweregreat Fri 01-Mar-19 16:03:01

I've found this and it's getting worse I think.
I never discuss money or my mental health with anyone as it seems to bring out the worst in people somehow. You can feel the vibes ; ' your ok, you can pay your bills' we can, there were times when we couldn't though , lots of times when we were totally broke and times when it was all I could think about as things were tight.
Now we can pay them and have a little bit over and my mental health is also meant to be fine! It's all ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »