Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask for advice and reassurance? Early scan showed baby measuring small

(13 Posts)
Secretlifeofme Fri 01-Mar-19 15:38:30

After two and a half years of trying and three miscarriages, I was delighted a couple of weeks ago to get a BFP smile Because of my history, I was advised to have an early scan at 6 weeks.

So I had my scan today at 6+1. They saw the sac with the embryo inside but I was told that it was measuring 3 days smaller sad also they couldn't see a heartbeat yet. The sonographer told me not to worry and that it was normal to have a bit of variation, but obviously I am still worrying! I have to go back for another scan on 11th when I'll be 7 + 4.

Can anyone give me any insight or reassurance as to whether this is really normal or if it's a bad sign? I'm just so worried because I lost all my previous pregnancies between 6 and 7 weeks sad

toomuchtooold Fri 01-Mar-19 15:49:51

3 days smaller is nothing. In my limited experience it's when you go in at like 7 and a half weeks and there's no heartbeat and they'll say "is there any chance you could be wrong with your dates" that it's all gone wrong.

Are you under the care of a recurrent miscarriage clinic? I'm guessing you are by the frequency of the scans but in case you're not, you should be after 3 miscarriages, and they should be looking into why you miscarried in the past pregnancies.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Fiveredbricks Fri 01-Mar-19 15:51:16

1 or 2mm can throw of dating quite considerably at viability scans. Also strange they offered you a viability scan before 7wks tbh. They're pretty pointless until you're over 7wks.

GregoryPeckingDuck Fri 01-Mar-19 15:51:48

I wouldn’t worry too much. You can’t actually be sure of your conception date.

PandaSky Fri 01-Mar-19 15:52:40

thanks sorry you are having to go through this worry OP.

Problem is you will find some people had this and everything turned out ok, and some people where sadly it didn't. And unfortunately no one can tell you what your outcome will be so I'm not sure you will get the reassurance you need.

I know the wait will be agonising. Hope you get some answers soon xx

Secretlifeofme Fri 01-Mar-19 15:55:02

Thank you for quick responses! I don't live in the UK so I l think the procedure with scans is a bit different. Also, yes I am under care for my recurrent miscarriages and am being treated (on progesterone and baby aspirin until 12 weeks and also on thyroid medication).

PastaSauceHoarder Fri 01-Mar-19 16:02:10

Hello, congratulations on your pregnancy! smile

I had a private scan when I thought I was 10+1, but the sonographer measured my baby at 9+1. Like you I was quite worried (still am a bit if I'm honest!) but lots of lovely ladies on here reassured me that its totally normal to measure behind - baby is so tiny in these early weeks that its apparently difficult to get an accurate measurement, plus my little one was curled up into a ball. If the sonographer isn't worried then I would take that as a good sign!

RubaiyatOfAnyone Fri 01-Mar-19 16:21:49

I can’t remember exact dates, but with my first pregnancy i had early scans for bleeding and at (approx) ) 6.1 there was no heartbeat, 6.3 there was a heartbeat but i was told it was measuring a couple of days small, 7.1 i was told everything was normal for that date. I think early scans can scare as much as they reassure. Good luck!

PivotPivotPivottt Fri 01-Mar-19 16:27:25

I had an early scan at 7+4 and was measuring at 6+6. They had to do an internal scan as couldn't see anything on the abdominal scan. At this stage it is really early and a single day makes a whole lot of difference, that's why they prefer to do viabily scans past 7 weeks as they are then more accurate.

Kko1986 Fri 01-Mar-19 17:31:23

Hi
My baby measured small through my pregnancy she was estimated at 5lb but she came out 4lb 7oz and was as healthy as can be she's now all caught up xx

L0kiWh0 Fri 01-Mar-19 17:35:10

Any discrepancy in measurements up to and including 7 days is not a cause for concern - they wouldn’t even question your dates.

VampirateQueen Fri 01-Mar-19 17:47:50

I wouldn't worry, it is still very early and I think it is very difficult to get measurements anyway in the womb. I never had to have an early scan, but had gestational diabetes in my pregnancy which meant I needed several towards the end of pregnancy, at 36 weeks, they told me my DD was measuring large and was already at least 7lbs, she was born just over a week later at 6lbs 4oz and was tiny.

I understand why you would be worrying but right now I would take a deep calming breath. Your next scan will be here before you know it and you will have more answers then. Fingers crossed everything is fine for you.

Owwlie Fri 01-Mar-19 17:53:53

At a 6 week early scan with DD (due to bleeding) they couldn't see a heartbeat but a week later (7+2 I think) they could.

Each scan seemed to change the dating as well, as the measurements were always slightly out. Smaller on some scans and larger on others (I had quite a few scan me due to bleeding and reduced movement).

I understand why you're worried though OP. Hopefully everything goes well at your next scan.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »