Talk

Advanced search

To ask what happens at an antenatal HV check?

(17 Posts)
jcmayj Fri 01-Mar-19 14:13:47

Hi all,

My health visitor is coming for the first time next week.

Just out of curiosity, what type of things do they ask/check for? Is there anything I need to prepare for in advance?

Thanks

GregoryPeckingDuck Fri 01-Mar-19 14:17:35

No need to prepare. They’ll just measure baby, check they you are recovering from birth, give you information on breastfeeding and sids anddthe like. If there is anything you are struggling with like breastfeeding, depression, domestic violence or anything you are a bit unsure about then this is a good time to talk about it.

Booksandwine80 Fri 08-Mar-19 15:37:17

As it’s antenatal I would imagine it’s just to meet you and get to know you a little. I was supposed to have this but HV was poorly so didn’t meet her until after the baby was born.

Nothing to prepare for smile

InMyBloodstainedSundaysBest Fri 08-Mar-19 17:45:09

Mine just went through a questionnaire and made sure she had all my details correct. She did ask about domestic violence/abuse so don't be shocked if that comes up. I think they just want to get a general idea how you're feeling about the whole thing, and see if there's anything to flag up that you might need some extra assistance. Nothing too horrendous!

Hazlenutpie Fri 08-Mar-19 17:47:34

They aren't checking on you, it's an introductory visit so you know who your HV is when your baby is born. She will tell you about the service and what support is available.

StealthPolarBear Fri 08-Mar-19 17:49:13

She should be getting to know you in advance of your baby being born. If you have any issues that will affect your and your baby's wellbeing this is a chance for her to help.

ToastyFingers Fri 08-Mar-19 17:54:04

They just want to take your details, ask a few (slightly intrusive but important) questions and check you don't live in a crack den.
I like the fact they now come antenatally, I hated the stranger turning up when I was a weepy post-partum mess.

cmjwx Sat 09-Mar-19 02:30:56

Thank you all!

RosieEffect Sat 09-Mar-19 03:44:46

Just had mine a couple of weeks ago. They asked for some info - name, Due date, DOB for me and DH, etc. Then told me about the HV service - what they are for, how they can support you, and the schedule of visits after baby is born. She spoke about feeding options and support for breastfeeding.It was only about 20-30 min.

My antenatal midwife home visit was when she asked to see where the baby would sleep and checked my bump, bp, urine test. And spoke about birth plan and breastfeeding.

WhenZogateSuperworm Sat 09-Mar-19 03:48:27

I had a HV come before having my first and they just introduced themselves and gave me advice about services, feeding and safe sleeping.

In my current pregnancy they scheduled to come again but I declined as I don’t feel there is anything new they can tell me.

OhTheRoses Sat 09-Mar-19 03:51:13

How marvellous you see them before the baby now. Gives a chance to find out what to expect (nothing) rather than relying on what the madwives say.

BabyDarlingDollfaceHoney Sat 09-Mar-19 07:39:32

I scrubbed the house from top to toe and couldn't wait to show off the gorgeous nursery I had decorated for my baby. She didn't even go upstairs sad.

It's mostly just giving you information about how to access different services and when you can expect more HV visits, a hit about baby jabs and their red book etc.

Certainly nothing to prepare for or worry about.

Good luck with your baby!

Wallsbangers Sat 09-Mar-19 08:14:26

Questions about us, talked about safe sleeping, pets round babies (no idea why as we don't have a pet), information on baby clinics etc. She did ask to see where baby would be sleeping but we still had builders in and nothing was ready so I declined.

Yura Sat 09-Mar-19 08:34:20

Don’t expect anything. if you are lucky, you’ll get a good one who will be genuinely interested in what you want and need. Otherwise they come in, go through a questionair quickly, and are gone again

cmjwx Sat 09-Mar-19 13:51:59

Thanks everyone.

I'm nervous they're going to ask where the baby will sleep, we're still in the middle of doing the nursery but we've a Moses basket in our bedroom etc

2birds1stone Sat 09-Mar-19 13:56:40

They recommend baby is in your room for 6 months anyway so if Moses basket is in your room that is fine. My hv didn't even want to see the room.

The can generally get the feel of the place just by your appearance and the downstairs etc. They will be making sure it's a safe /clean (within reason) place. They won't be expecting immaculate never been lived in houses.

Don't be worried though. They are not there to judge but to offer support and help.

MyDcAreMarvel Sat 09-Mar-19 14:00:35

It’s completely optional to have the hb visit at any time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: