Talk

Advanced search

I broke DHs glasses

(326 Posts)
LellowYedbetter Fri 01-Mar-19 10:10:01

I live in a family of gog botherers, both of my sons and DH but I’m not although should be but I never went back.
Anyway DH is fiercely protective of his and if you go anywhere near them or touch them he panics and flaps. Last night he’d left them on the bedside table. I went to bed, was very tired and didn’t feel well and put the iPad on the bedside table in the dark on top of the glasses forgetting they were there. We both went to sleep. In the middle of the night I woke up, couldn’t get back to sleep so reached for the iPad, dragged it off the table and smeared his glasses. This morning they were all bent and he’s gone ape shit. I mean, proper meltdown, panicking, ignoring me as he was too flustered and ended up late for work.

AIBU to think this obsession is too much?? Or is it because I don’t wear them that I don’t get it?

IIIIIIII Fri 01-Mar-19 10:13:00

How bad is his eyesight? I have a spare set as if I broke mine I'd be like your Dh, I can't see a step in front of me without them so I'd be freaking out.

PinkHeart5914 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:15:06

Well glasses aren’t cheap and no I wouldn’t be impressed if dh broke mine. I don’t really like people touching mine either, although dh isn’t a child so he doesn’t tend too and i put them out of reach of my little ones.

I wouldn’t really call it an obsession

Bangingdoors Fri 01-Mar-19 10:16:33

You sound very immature. He needs his glasses to see of course he's upset his glasses are broken.

LellowYedbetter Fri 01-Mar-19 10:17:16

I’m just really clumsy, always have been

cheesydoesit Fri 01-Mar-19 10:17:36

It's not really an obsession! I can't drive without wearing mine so yes, I would be really pissed off about it.

Holidayshopping Fri 01-Mar-19 10:17:44

What is a gog botherer?

If he can’t see very well and needs his glasses to focus, I can understand why he’s cross, especially if you don’t seem to care you’ve broken them.

Is being able to see an ‘obsession’?!

bonzo77 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:18:49

You’re being very unreasonable. And rather rude with the name calling of people who wear glasses. However, he should keep them in a case really.

Raspberry10 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:18:51

Let’s see, mine cost £200 and I can’t see a damn thing without them, and also I’m illegal to drive without them. I would have gone as apeshit as your DH.

cheesydoesit Fri 01-Mar-19 10:18:59

Did you apologise and recognise that it's an inconvience for him or did you just disregard his feelings and act defensive like you have in your OP?

LellowYedbetter Fri 01-Mar-19 10:20:25

I apologised and offered to take him to work

Gilead Fri 01-Mar-19 10:20:30

I can't get as far as my en-suite loo without my glasses, it's not an obsession it's a necessity. hmm

Hubblebubbletripletrouble Fri 01-Mar-19 10:21:02

I don’t understand what this means confused

both of my sons and DH but I’m not although should be but I never went back.

buttertoff33 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:21:04

I cannot do anything with my glasses. I couldn't drive, couldn't get to work and work etc.

I don't know how you can not notice glades when putting an iPad down. Glasses are a nesseccarity for most wearers. yabvu.

fleshmarketclose Fri 01-Mar-19 10:21:05

I can't function without my specs and so would be pretty pissed off if someone broke them tbh. I'd use a spare pair but they aren't the right strength so not as comfortable. You need to apologise and take them to the opticians and pay for the repair yourself. In your OP you sound about twelve though laughing about having to wear specs and not going back to the opticians yourself hmm

KurriKurri Fri 01-Mar-19 10:21:06

Glasses are expensive - and if you don;t have them when you need them it can make life very difficult - deos he use them for driving/ reading/ computer at work ? - All those things would mean being witout would be a huge inconvenience, does he wear them all day for everything ? - I wear mine and I'd feel very wobbly and unsafe if I didn;t have them on.

Having said that - I would never leave my glasses loose on a surface, I always put them in a case - he really needs to get a case, it is careless to not have something protective over an expensive item with lenses.

ColdToesHere Fri 01-Mar-19 10:21:36

Maybe he’s upset because not only can he not see, instead of being properly apologetic, you accuse him of being obsessed and unreasonable when you’re at fault.
You say you’re clumsy, maybe that’s why he doesn’t like you touching them, especially if you have the attitude that he’s the one being unreasonable when you break them.

moosesormeece Fri 01-Mar-19 10:21:55

It's not an obsession if he needs them to see confused

If something happened to my glasses/contact lenses I would have a major panic, yes, because I need them to live my life (eg it's not just that I need them to drive, I wouldn't even be able to find the car without them!) and because my eyes are wonky it takes a week minimum to get new ones.

Evenstar Fri 01-Mar-19 10:22:00

A good pair of glasses with thinner lenses etc can cost hundreds of pounds, also as PP said he could be totally unable to function without them if his eyesight is poor. If you are generally clumsy that is probably why he is so protective over them being touched. Of course what happened was an accident, but perhaps he didn’t feel you were really sorry about what happened or understood the impact for him. He should certainly have a spare pair.

Magicpaintbrush Fri 01-Mar-19 10:22:13

I would go mad if somebody carelessly broke my glasses - I can't see without them, can't drive without them, can't work without them and I only have one pair because they are so expensive. It's so horrible not being able to see properly. You need to be doing some apologising.

Also maybe your DH ought to put them in a protective case overnight.

Nesssie Fri 01-Mar-19 10:22:51

He should put them in a case to protect them. If you apologised and offered to drive him to work then his reaction to a mistake seems a bit ott.
But calling being able to see an 'obsession' is U.

howwillwedeal Fri 01-Mar-19 10:23:19

What are gog botherers?

RiverTam Fri 01-Mar-19 10:24:13

I'm afraid I would go nuts at this, my eyesight is atrocious. If DH dumped the ipad on my specs and then broke them I would be raging, I literally wouldn't be able to do anything.

Being clumsy is a pathetic excuse.

Gotthetshirt23 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:24:34

So you need glasses but choose not to wear any ?
Should you be driving ?

cheesydoesit Fri 01-Mar-19 10:24:44

Well that's good. I couldn't afford to replace my glasses right now or buy a spare pair, is that the case for DH? And yes, wouldn't the iPad have wobbled on top of the glasses?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: