Talk

Advanced search

Was IBU to freeze DD’s hamster?

(337 Posts)
SandyDrawsBadly Fri 01-Mar-19 09:33:54

I came downstairs on DDs Birthday to find that Wonder Woman the hamster was dead. Stupid fucking hamster

I didn’t want to upset DD on her birthday so didn’t tell her before I dropped her at school. I doubled checked when I got home in case it had been sleeping, but this was one cold dead stiff hamster and it’s red eyes were all grey, so it was definitely dead.

I didn’t want to ruin her birthday, but I didn’t want a slowly decomposing hamster in the warm living room either. so I popped it into a freezer bag and hid it underneath the frozen veg out of the way. I got her out the next day, defrosted her in the cage and “discovered” her death the next morning. Two days post birthday.

I was telling my friend but she said this was ridiculous over protective parenting.

So, was I unreasonable to freeze the hamster and has anyone else done stuff to save upset as I can’t be the only one, surely!

MrsJDornan Fri 01-Mar-19 09:47:06

So for 2 days while the hamster was in the freezing and then defrosting she didn't mention where he was? By the sounds of it I don't think she'd of been that upset

Also depending on her age, children need to learn that animals die

WineAndTiramisu Fri 01-Mar-19 09:47:54

I did the same, years ago, when my pet hamster died, there was snow on the ground and I couldn't dig a grave with my little trowel as the ground was too frozen, so I froze him then buried him the week later when the ground had defrosted... Slightly odd I know grin

Nomorepies Fri 01-Mar-19 09:48:50

You defrosted a hamster. This is beyond weird. I call fake

moaningitsabingthing Fri 01-Mar-19 09:48:57

Well my mum didn’t tell me my aunt had died for two days because she didn’t want to ruin a school disco. So I kinda get it (but don’t recommend...it’s taken me ages to believe people when they tell me things are ok!)

onalongsabbatical Fri 01-Mar-19 09:49:14

My older dd looked after younger dd's hamster while younger was on holiday (older dd adult by then and living away) - hamster died, hamster put in freezer so younger dd could be involved in funeral. Perfectly sensible solution, crack on OP.

Walnutwhipster Fri 01-Mar-19 09:49:39

Sorry but that's hilarious. I'm sat in hospital with tears rolling down my face. I think it's a good call. You didn't go out and replace it with an identical hamster, merely delayed DC's grief and didn't ruin their birthday.

Moneys2Tight2Mention Fri 01-Mar-19 09:49:50

defrosted her in the cage ffs grin grin I am still chuckling

Monty27 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:50:52

Unreal shock
Pea and hamster soup anyone?
envy sick emoticon

Reallyevilmuffin Fri 01-Mar-19 09:51:20

Why not the garage?

ShadyLady53 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:52:32

WTAF did I just read shock. Unreasonable, no. Bonkers, undoubtedly.

My parents just swapped dead pet for new identical pet. No freezing involved.

LellowYedbetter Fri 01-Mar-19 09:53:13

I used to work somewhere with a morgue and the staff would often pop food items in the “ahem” cold areas to keep them fresh until shift ended

SandyDrawsBadly Fri 01-Mar-19 09:54:15

Ok, replies.
First off the hamster was in a freezer bag so it wasn’t like I’d nestled it up with the wafer thin ham in the fridge. The stuff in my freezer is also in bags and not loose, so no hamster cross contamination occurred. hmm
Second, didn’t notice after school as it was soft play party > too much cake and pizza > bed. After school club the next day and found it the following morning. Like most youngish children her love of the hamster was fickle, but judging by the tears when she did find out, I called it right.

I could have left it in the cage, but the central heating being on, I didn’t want her to discover it in any state of decomposition either.

My friend was clearly right. She’ll have a good laugh at my expense over this thread grin grin

SandyDrawsBadly Fri 01-Mar-19 09:55:35

why not the garage
Terraced houses don’t have garages and I wasn’t going to leave it in the yard for the cat to discover.

Armadillostoes Fri 01-Mar-19 09:55:42

YANBU-You didn't cover up the reality of death, just put off dealing with it for a bit.

As for people suggesting that your DD can't have been that attached to the hamster because she didn't notice for 48 hours, I think that they are missing the point about children. The reason that kids need support caring for pets is that they are still developing an understanding of responsibility. Lots of children might be quite attached to a pet or a person, but not great at putting in the everyday effort. If a child wanted to go to play in the park rather than visiting a grandparent, it doesn't mean that they wouldn't be distressed if the grandparent died.

HoppityFrog3 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:56:45

WTF have I just read? confused

And I thought I was a bit batshit.

I feel 'normal' now!

Nnnnnineteen Fri 01-Mar-19 09:57:12

I thought the shampoo in her own eyes was a bit precious, but this is weird... what will you do if it happens to something bigger, like a dog, or grandma??

PinkiOcelot Fri 01-Mar-19 09:57:49

A few years ago, one of dds hamsters died. It had been snowing so DH said the ground was too hard to bury it. So we made a little coffin and put in the garage to bury when ground softened. Only we forgot all about it and wasn’t until I was going in and out of the garage thinking what’s that disgusting smell?!

It doesn’t look like your dd was too bothered about her hamster though if she didn’t notice it missing after 2 days.

edwinbear Fri 01-Mar-19 09:57:51

You put a dead hamster in your freezer?? shock I'd not be touching any food out of that until it had been disinfected.

HoppityFrog3 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:57:54

I have 2 questions.

1) Did your DD not notice the hamster missing for 2 days?

2) Why did you not just get a replacement hamster?

teyem Fri 01-Mar-19 09:58:10

You don't get this shit in Wonder Pets.

Hubblebubbletripletrouble Fri 01-Mar-19 09:58:30

Hahahahahaah. grin

PinkiOcelot Fri 01-Mar-19 09:58:36

Like a dog or a grandma?! 😆

TheTurtleDidItAndRanAway Fri 01-Mar-19 09:59:15

Meh freezers are always full of dead things. I do think it was risky when you don't really know how it was going to defrost.

TheTurtleDidItAndRanAway Fri 01-Mar-19 09:59:42

I'd have replaced with a new younger hamster model.

WhoGivesADamnForAFlakeyBandit Fri 01-Mar-19 10:00:26

Why didn't you go to the pet shop, slam the corpse down on the counter and say you wanted another one that looked like that?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »