Talk

Advanced search

Was IBU to freeze DD’s hamster?

(337 Posts)
SandyDrawsBadly Fri 01-Mar-19 09:33:54

I came downstairs on DDs Birthday to find that Wonder Woman the hamster was dead. Stupid fucking hamster

I didn’t want to upset DD on her birthday so didn’t tell her before I dropped her at school. I doubled checked when I got home in case it had been sleeping, but this was one cold dead stiff hamster and it’s red eyes were all grey, so it was definitely dead.

I didn’t want to ruin her birthday, but I didn’t want a slowly decomposing hamster in the warm living room either. so I popped it into a freezer bag and hid it underneath the frozen veg out of the way. I got her out the next day, defrosted her in the cage and “discovered” her death the next morning. Two days post birthday.

I was telling my friend but she said this was ridiculous over protective parenting.

So, was I unreasonable to freeze the hamster and has anyone else done stuff to save upset as I can’t be the only one, surely!

Mother87 Sun 03-Mar-19 17:18:41

Lottiegrin

Mother87 Sun 03-Mar-19 17:22:00

Actually... we DID have to put our cat in the freezer (after it had been found on a road round the corner) because i was away/DS then aged 15/16 didn't want to bury it before I got back... the lady who found her (a very 'experienced' cat lady) said it's 'normal' to do that if there has to be a delay for some reason. It WAS our extra/almost emptyblushfreezer in the garage... and said cat was buried as soon as I got homethanks

Mother87 Sun 03-Mar-19 17:23:32

Dimebagshock

Mother87 Sun 03-Mar-19 17:24:19

Just thought Dimebag - at what point did she realise it wasn't deadconfused?

dugupdeadcat Sun 03-Mar-19 17:32:03

Freezing a dead hamster is nothing. I've NC for this as it's so unbelievably outing.

DH, bless him, loves me dearly. So much so, that when I was pregnant and we moved house, he dug up our dead cat (she'd been dead and buried 3 years at that point) so I could take her with us. Admittedly she'd been buried wrapped in a blanket, which made it considerably easier.

If we move again (likely) he's resigned himself to digging up a few more. He's asked that they're then cremated, so he doesn't have to do it again.

Yes, I am totally unhinged! Yes, DH loves me - A LOT.

Nothininmenoggin Sun 03-Mar-19 17:38:35

After 2 nights of 13hr shifts no breaks and about to go in for my 3rd night this is the only thing that has made laugh out loud all weekend. Sorry bout hamster tho.

justaweeone Sun 03-Mar-19 17:44:43

I would have done exactly the same
Years ago we looked after someone's hamster and my cats ate it just leaving the head!
I took a photo of it and went to pets at home to get a replacement but didn't realise they sell young ones and this one was a few years older now 🤦‍♀️
So that didn't work and had to confess shock

Bluebobolink Thu 07-Mar-19 22:25:15

I think it was genius, and presumably the OP knows their own child and how they would react to the death of a pet. Freezing it was a good plan - my beloved python died but they sleep a lot, and i'd just come out of hospital, checked it as always (tropical snakes need a lot of care and attention..) but assumed it was just sleeping. Until the smell started. Oh gods. Decomposing critter is not something you need to experience...

Mmmhmmm Thu 07-Mar-19 22:32:56

Hmm it probably says something about me that I don't find the OP that weird. grin

mumwithatum Mon 11-Mar-19 19:40:05

Wonder pets!! Love it 😂😂😂

OhGodWhatTheHellNow Mon 11-Mar-19 23:47:39

Seems perfectly reasonable to me - just hanging around for the illustration now... pretty please with sugar on it?

Bellasorellaa Mon 11-Mar-19 23:51:45

The hamster is going to haunt you for calling it a stupid fucking hamster
Don’t look under your bed at night

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »