Talk

Advanced search

Was IBU to freeze DD’s hamster?

(337 Posts)
SandyDrawsBadly Fri 01-Mar-19 09:33:54

I came downstairs on DDs Birthday to find that Wonder Woman the hamster was dead. Stupid fucking hamster

I didn’t want to upset DD on her birthday so didn’t tell her before I dropped her at school. I doubled checked when I got home in case it had been sleeping, but this was one cold dead stiff hamster and it’s red eyes were all grey, so it was definitely dead.

I didn’t want to ruin her birthday, but I didn’t want a slowly decomposing hamster in the warm living room either. so I popped it into a freezer bag and hid it underneath the frozen veg out of the way. I got her out the next day, defrosted her in the cage and “discovered” her death the next morning. Two days post birthday.

I was telling my friend but she said this was ridiculous over protective parenting.

So, was I unreasonable to freeze the hamster and has anyone else done stuff to save upset as I can’t be the only one, surely!

WonkoTheSane42 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:35:50

That’s one of the weirdest things I’ve ever heard.

Girlinthegarden Fri 01-Mar-19 09:35:53

That is utterly barmy.

That said, I wouldn't have wanted to spoil her birthday either.

GiveMeSteam Fri 01-Mar-19 09:37:12

How old is your daughter?

Doidontimmm Fri 01-Mar-19 09:37:38

Your daughter can’t be that bothered about the hamster if she didn’t even notice it was missing??

JugglingMummyof2 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:38:14

Welllllll - your DD cannot be too attached to the hamster if she didn't even notice it was missing for two whole days!
If she was attached to it then YWNBU to protect her on her birthday but from your OP not sure why you bothered....

EyeOfTheTigger Fri 01-Mar-19 09:38:34

Well, it saved the upset of your DD knowing about the hamster's demise on her birthday. It doesn't seem as though she was that invested in Hammy though if she didn't look in the cage once in two full days and notice her missing.

JugglingMummyof2 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:39:00

Cross post Doidontimmm

DoneLikeAKipper Fri 01-Mar-19 09:39:01

Why did you need to do all that? Surely you could have waited a couple of days to tell her without freezing and defrosting a hamster corpse??!

Forgot Wonder Woman, the poor sod should have been called Quick Defrost Dinner from the way you treated it.

Ginnymweasley Fri 01-Mar-19 09:39:42

Well that is strange.... I kinda get where you are coming from but freezing a hamster is kinda odd you have to admit.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Fri 01-Mar-19 09:39:47

Is that not ever so minty and rank putting an animal corpse where there's food.

HaventGotAllDay Fri 01-Mar-19 09:40:59

Has anyone nominated this for classics yet?

They will. hmm

Strugglingtodomybest Fri 01-Mar-19 09:41:36

I think it was reasonable to do that seeing as it was your DD,s birthday.

lottielady Fri 01-Mar-19 09:42:25

Awwlookatmybabyspider most freezers are full of bits of animal corpse, though, aren’t they?

Burgers, sausages, chops...

Moneys2Tight2Mention Fri 01-Mar-19 09:42:29

Is that not ever so minty and rank putting an animal corpse where there's food

What, next to all of the frozen chicken/beef/pork corpses?! grin

I think it's utterly mental behaviour but also something I would do too, fab thinking to not ruin your daughter's birthday!

NCforthis2019 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:44:17

You froze a dead hamster under the peas? This is some serial killer shit.

DailyMailWankers Fri 01-Mar-19 09:44:37

@Awwlookatmybabyspider animal corpses are food for most people envy (not envy)

NorthernRunner Fri 01-Mar-19 09:44:58

What????

Is this true?? How did it even cross your mind to put the thing in the freezer?

I’m somewhere between laughing and total disbelief.

Hamsters do not live that long, it’s a shame but would it have really ruined her birthday? How old is your daughter? I’m afraid I would have just told her that day. You are creating a rod for your own back if you aren’t going to let your child experience real life

ittakes2 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:45:08

I'm a bit confused - if she did not notice her hamster was missing for two days including on her birthday then how close to this hamster is she?

littlemeitslyn Fri 01-Mar-19 09:45:18

Lottie 😁

madcatladyforever Fri 01-Mar-19 09:45:31

i would have done that too, my son was incredibly sensitive over the death of his pets, still is as an adult.
The death of a pet would most certainly ruin my birthday so I don't think what you did caused any harm at all.
A friend of mine recently had his pet in the freezer for a month until he found the right burial spot for her.

LellowYedbetter Fri 01-Mar-19 09:46:33

I really hope the daughter turns out to be 16 or something

TheOrdinaryPoster2 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:46:40

Meh

I froze DSs snake when he was on holiday as I knew he’d want to be there for the funeral

Awwlookatmybabyspider Fri 01-Mar-19 09:46:56

Good point.grin

JaretsGirlfren Fri 01-Mar-19 09:46:58

Weird! my DD thinks that the big guinea pig is at guinea pig boot camp for bullying the little one

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »