Talk

Advanced search

To ask about DS' bum?

(13 Posts)
Grumpasaurus Thu 28-Feb-19 22:21:04

So was changing DS (2.5) earlier today and noticed his bum really smelled. I wondered perhaps if nursery hadn't cleaned him properly or maybe too many days without a bath (he has really sensitive skin).

Anyway, he was sick on himself and on me tonight (he has reflux so this isn't unusual), so we had a shower, and I made sure to give his bum a good clean and rinse.

But, it still really smells. He's a bit red but it doesn't look sore, but I wondered if it could be thrush? Or something else?

Does anyone have any advice? He's never had this before!!

SpringForEver Thu 28-Feb-19 22:24:17

My first thought was thrush if that helps.

Osirus Thu 28-Feb-19 22:26:51

A bath might be more useful at giving a really good clean, rather than a shower? But more likely something like a bit of thrush.

Grumpasaurus Thu 28-Feb-19 22:28:55

I am going to give him a bath in the morning, just had to have a quick shower due to the sick and didn't want the fight about getting into / out of the bath after bedtime :-).

So next question- what does one do about thrush in babies? Is it a just a matter of buying a cream? What causes thrush in babies?

He is getting his final two molars; that may contribute?

Grumpasaurus Thu 28-Feb-19 22:45:41

Also I think there were some very faint white spots which also suggests thrush... I have just never noticed a smell before, and it was strong!!

angelikacpickles Thu 28-Feb-19 22:58:40

Not sure if it's the same in the UK, but here you can get a 1% Canesten cream for it in the chemist.

OnlineAlienator Thu 28-Feb-19 23:00:08

My initial go-to for anything sore is sudocrem, it seems to sort out 99% of skin issues grin

Grumpasaurus Thu 28-Feb-19 23:08:28

I actually think you can buy canesten here so will try tomorrow...

@OnlineAlienator it doesn't seem sore, it's just smelly / a tad red. Will go to chemist in them morning for advice- thank you all!

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 28-Feb-19 23:09:42

Thrush is berry common in babies and canesten cream treats it but it doesn't usually smell

EugenesAxe Thu 28-Feb-19 23:13:22

Yes do check with the pharmacist when you buy it - I presume angelika's comment about 1% strength means normal stuff is much stronger, and not suitable for children.

I would still double check with a pro about the 1% stuff if he's only 2.5yrs, or get it on prescription after getting a GP to have a look.

Grumpasaurus Thu 28-Feb-19 23:27:27

Thanks all- I will pop to the chemist tomorrow after a long bath and see what they suggest. Sounds like maybe thrush or maybe something else...

Nat6999 Fri 01-Mar-19 00:38:28

I would put a handful of salt & a couple of drops of tea tree oil in his bath, pat his bum dry afterwards, put some canesten cream on & let him play without pants as much as possible, does he still wear a nappy at night? Disposables make bums sweat an awful lot, try & get him dry at night & only use loose cotton pj bottoms or shorts.

OnlineAlienator Fri 01-Mar-19 07:52:19

Smelly and red still qualifies for insta-crem in this house! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: