Talk

Advanced search

To take away DD's wedding dreams?

(81 Posts)
PutsFootInIt Thu 28-Feb-19 22:10:18

My daughter had a tantrum last night because I told her she couldn't be the mother of the bride at my wedding to her father. She's 3. Should I just dress her up in a pastel dress and matching jacket and put a fascinator on her head?

Frouby Sat 02-Mar-19 16:54:56

My ds (aged 4) actually gave me away. He was originally supposed to walk down the aisle with dd (13) but bottled it and didn't want to walk down the aisle with people looking at him. So said he could hold my hand instead. And didn't have to walk down the aisle at all.

He was quite happy with that. I wasn't being given away anyway so it was all good and all our guests assumed that was his original role.

woollyheart Sat 02-Mar-19 16:38:28

Not pastel, make sure she wears white so that she upstages the bride!😀

GreenTulips Sat 02-Mar-19 16:20:35

She doesn’t have to attend it’s an invite not a summons’s!

Send her an invite with dress code!

DoubleNegativePanda Sat 02-Mar-19 16:15:59

To the OP: definitely dress your daughter up as a stiff little MOB. You'll cherish the pics forever.

DoubleNegativePanda Sat 02-Mar-19 16:14:48

Wow, I'm quite awed that my sister Frodo is so well remembered here grin My mother was worried that the brown clothes she chose to wear under her cloak made her look dumpy, but the fact is that hobbits are kind of dumpy and frodo was particularly ragged and unkempt. I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture but our rings were hanging from ribbon in the circle.of her staff.

MollyYouInDangerGirl Sat 02-Mar-19 09:43:09

Aww I love all these stories!

LondonBelongsToMe Sat 02-Mar-19 09:31:39

@DoubleNegativePanda must come back, this site needs people like her more than ever. What a woman and what a hobbit.

drspouse Fri 01-Mar-19 15:34:53

Of course, if you can find a willing small boy, you can have endless fun with the "I don't want to be in the same room as him" mother of the bride and her ex/father of the bride.

Yougotdis Fri 01-Mar-19 14:48:33

Yep dress her up full mother of the bride. I’ll make the outfit myself if you want. And she has to walk around the whole wedding date tutting and saying ‘well I thought she would have married her last boyfriend but she won’t listen to any of my suggestions’. There should also be a mob speech

whohaa Fri 01-Mar-19 14:39:06

My 3 year old wants to marry me, so that's happening.

Katebob22 Fri 01-Mar-19 14:38:36

Sorry, as you were. Just seen it blush

Katebob22 Fri 01-Mar-19 14:37:33

I can’t see the Frodo photo #stampsfeet

Katiepoes Fri 01-Mar-19 14:28:21

She'll need some nice tan tights, do Falke come in small girl sizes? She also needs to learn to say 'of course in my day the MotB always did/chose/invited.....' and 'but we've known XYZ since you were a baaaaaby'.

She sounds fabulous btw!

kelper Fri 01-Mar-19 14:11:30

Aww, this is very cute (And the hobbit is just awesome too!)
DS always wanted to marry me, since daddy wouldn't! He's now 11 and I think this idea has worn off a little 😭
She definitely needs an enormous hat and a disapproving look ;)

weegiemum Fri 01-Mar-19 13:59:44

When she was 4, my dd1 (now19) got very angry at us because she couldn't go to our wedding (her friends parents were getting married).

She couldn't understand we'd got married 6 years before she was born!

SenecaFalls Fri 01-Mar-19 13:15:59

Let her go MOB American style: floor length sparkly number trailing yards of chiffon and carrying a small bouquet.

Kismetjayn Fri 01-Mar-19 13:11:25

I love the wedding captain idea.

DD3 accepted she couldn't marry us very quickly as I explained the point of a wedding was to make someone you loved so much you wanted to be family, part of your family. And since we were already family, there was no point in marrying us.

However she is totally preoccupied with marrying her friend from nursery. She has planned the dresses they will wear. She has planned her bridesmaids. She has planned the cake ('delicious chocolate and strawberry') and the music ('all the fun songs we like').

However she hasn't asked the other girl to marry her yet and when she did ask, asked in such a quiet voice the girl didn't hear and carried on playing with blocks. Poor DD was very discouraged and is trying to muster the fortitude to ask again. In a louder voice.

spiderlight Fri 01-Mar-19 13:07:17

@ SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius That photo has made my WEEK!!

ThatssomebadhatHarry Fri 01-Mar-19 13:06:25

My daughter was given the title ‘wedding captain’ at our wedding. Had it printed on her gifts too. She still tells people about it.

Greyhound22 Fri 01-Mar-19 13:05:22

DS was 3 when we got married. I had him totally primed that he had to sit by Nanny etc as the Vicar had already voiced disapproval at children up the front etc. He never left our side. There is a photo of us all three of us kneeling at the front of the church with him next to me holding my hand. Went down a treat with the guests. The vicar sighed and gave up.

He still says 'that's where we got married Mummy' when we drive past the church.

LoisWilkerson1 Fri 01-Mar-19 13:03:51

grin She sounds very demanding op. Go no contact.

howwillwedeal Fri 01-Mar-19 13:00:54

I suggest you have a child free wedding, she sounds like trouble!

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Fri 01-Mar-19 12:58:02

The poster was DoubleNegativePanda, and her post is part way through this thread - and there are even some photos!

LondonBelongsToMe Fri 01-Mar-19 12:39:58

@SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius that is the best thing I've ever read on this godforsaken website.

Amibeingnaive Fri 01-Mar-19 12:32:52

My 7 year old is really pissed off that I won't divorce her father and marry her instead. Or let her marry her brother. Or her cousins.

I'm controlling, aren't I?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »