Talk

Advanced search

To take away DD's wedding dreams?

(81 Posts)
PutsFootInIt Thu 28-Feb-19 22:10:18

My daughter had a tantrum last night because I told her she couldn't be the mother of the bride at my wedding to her father. She's 3. Should I just dress her up in a pastel dress and matching jacket and put a fascinator on her head?

CountFosco Fri 01-Mar-19 12:29:59

Just be glad she only wants to be MotB. Our DC desperately want us to marry (again!) so they can go on 'Marrying Mum and Dad' and organise the whole thing. Which some MotB want to do obviously...

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Fri 01-Mar-19 12:13:32

This thread reminds me of the MNer who asked her little sister, who had Down's syndrome, to be the ring bearer at her wedding.

The little sister was a HUGE Lord of the Rings fan, so decided she was going to be THE ring bearer - ie. Frodo Baggins, rather than wearing a pretty dress and carrying the rings on a cushion - and once she learned this, the MNer totally went with it - and the wedding photos all have a fully costumed hobbit, front and centre.

It absolutely made the day for the MNer and her dh, and her little sister too!

Omzlas Fri 01-Mar-19 11:45:35

Mint green is all the rage. With a huge fucking fascinator. And patent heels with a matching handbag.

And photos or it didn't happen!

willowmelangell Fri 01-Mar-19 11:16:52

Make sure she has a very large handkerchief, for dabbing her eyes and clutching.

DontCallMeCharlotte Fri 01-Mar-19 11:09:14

The only trouble with a strongly worded text is that can she claim if she can't read it (yet), it doesn't count?

OlennasWimple You're absolutely right about Jaques Vert but, having said that, I bought a Jaques Vert wool swing coat in the late 90s (I was in my early 30s) and it keeps coming in and out of style. It's such good quality, it just won't die! I bought it with a bonus and it cost a fortune at the time but it's probably cost about tuppence per wear! The Duchess of Cambridge I am not.

JellyBaby666 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:54:27

This thread has made me smile so much on a miserable Friday morning!

I remember being distraught finding my parents wedding photos, and discovering they had got married without me (7 years before I was born, in fact) and cried for ages about it! I think I was about 4?

TheLongRider Fri 01-Mar-19 10:50:22

Mine loved picking her potential wedding outfits from bridal magazines at that age. If you can get your hands on a couple of magazines, it's a good way to spend a wet afternoon with a scrapbook and glue stick. She can even draw her ideal outfit for you.

Otherwise I suggest a nice pastel two piece with a very large hat that no-one else can see past.

Mummyoflittledragon Fri 01-Mar-19 10:39:34

Oh and loving the idea of dressing her up as MOG in identical outfit to you 😬

Mummyoflittledragon Fri 01-Mar-19 10:38:58

These stories are soo cute! 😍

beela Fri 01-Mar-19 10:34:24

Oh don't shatter her dreams!

Aprilshowersarecomingsoon Fri 01-Mar-19 10:33:59

When my ds got close to my new dh - when we told him we were getting married, he said if dh hadn't married me he would have (he was 4)...they are very close now and no resentment!!

Iooselipssinkships Fri 01-Mar-19 10:28:08

How cute. Could you not give her the role of being Chief bridesmaid? Tell her it's a very important job!
My 6 year old son has said more than once he's marrying me when he's older. I've explained it doesn't quite work like that but he's adamant. I love that innocence.

NannyRed Fri 01-Mar-19 10:22:44

@TheCraiDealer my friend also arrived to her daughters wedding to find she was wearing the same outfit as mother of the groom but in a different colour! So either it’s a regular thing or I know your mum.

(Did your mums colleague write your name cards for the tables?)

Witchend Fri 01-Mar-19 10:17:42

At 3yo dd1 was so upset when I said that she couldn't marry daddy that we agreed we'd shelve the discussion and discuss it when she was 16yo, as she couldn't marry until then anyway.
You'll be surprised to learn that the conversation at 16yo was very quick, easy and mostly comprised of her going hmm and confused

JaretsGirlfren Fri 01-Mar-19 09:58:25

My DD said I could be bridesmaid when she marries her best friend, then changed her mind and told me she had a far more important job for me and could I decorate the venue...

Monty27 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:54:07

Red lips, curly hair and a cutsie dress.
And a lollipop of course grin

amusedbush Fri 01-Mar-19 09:51:08

I recommend repeated exposure to Jacques Vert to cure the problem

grin

AveAtqueVale Fri 01-Mar-19 09:43:17

My 4 year old is also wedding obsessed at the moment. She thinks she's going to marry me or DH...

My 4-year-old had full on snotty tears the other day when he discovered he could only marry one person at a time. ‘But I want to marry you AND Daddy 😭.’ I felt like it was the wrong moment to point out that he might actually have to look for someone entirely unrelated...

1tisILeClerc Fri 01-Mar-19 09:42:29

Of course she should take part as MO The bride.
Depending on how formal you are planning the whole event to be it could be great fun if the (so called grown ups) play along. Far more interesting than the usual MoB getting tipsy and falling asleep or whatever else happens.

Rade Fri 01-Mar-19 09:33:54

Aw this takes me back to when DS was going to marry me. He's 21 now and has jilted me.

drspouse Fri 01-Mar-19 09:33:33

Will she insist on inviting all her friends though , even though you haven't seen them for many years?
Yes, including her imaginary friends, and all the teddies she's ever had.

drspouse Fri 01-Mar-19 09:33:04

My DS is 7 and still occasionally suggests that he marry me.
He is definitely clear on the fact that I'm married though, as he often tells me "PUT YOUR HUSBAND IN JAILED" when DH has done something heinous like try to brush his teeth (he has some sensory problems).

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 01-Mar-19 09:32:35

I don't think Phase Eight's sizing goes down to age 3

cocodash Fri 01-Mar-19 09:25:31

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

FrogsAreMean Fri 01-Mar-19 09:21:27

StillCoughingandLaughing grin grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »