Talk

Advanced search

To take away DD's wedding dreams?

(81 Posts)
PutsFootInIt Thu 28-Feb-19 22:10:18

My daughter had a tantrum last night because I told her she couldn't be the mother of the bride at my wedding to her father. She's 3. Should I just dress her up in a pastel dress and matching jacket and put a fascinator on her head?

LondonBelongsToMe Fri 01-Mar-19 08:42:53

My dd has a wedding themed birthday party when she was 5. Lots of tiny nylon meringue dresses from TK Max and confetti and pink and sweetie trees. She used to force her sister to walk behind her holding the end of a fitted sheet that went on her head as a cathedral length train. Awesome.

Your daughter has gone one beyond with selecting a more niche but potentially more fun role. Amazing. I trust she’s insisting on inviting all her friends from playgroup so she has some company?

Nonibaloni Fri 01-Mar-19 08:44:15

It’ll be easy to tell, try on your favourite wedding dress, feel amazing, and if she laughs and says ‘imagine if you wore that’ she IS the MOB all that’s to be done is invite her weird and boring friend to sneak into all the photos (at least 3 yo will be cute)

MrsJayy Fri 01-Mar-19 08:46:51

Surely a hat the size of a satelite dish would be better after all she is the VIPMOTB.

CuppaSarah Fri 01-Mar-19 08:49:37

That is adorable!

We're all very into weddings here too. The other week I had to bake DD and d
DS a wedding cake and dress them up, put on a first dance song etc. Apparently I ruined the wedding and it was cancelled when o wouldn't allow a YouTube disco. Worst MIL ever

x2boys Fri 01-Mar-19 08:53:13

Will she insist on inviting all her friends though , even though you haven't seen them for many years?

Shockers Fri 01-Mar-19 08:55:49

Until he was 5, DS2 insisted he was marrying Daddy.

No amount of telling him that Daddy was already married to me would persuade him otherwise grin.

FrogsAreMean Fri 01-Mar-19 09:21:27

StillCoughingandLaughing grin grin

cocodash Fri 01-Mar-19 09:25:31

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 01-Mar-19 09:32:35

I don't think Phase Eight's sizing goes down to age 3

drspouse Fri 01-Mar-19 09:33:04

My DS is 7 and still occasionally suggests that he marry me.
He is definitely clear on the fact that I'm married though, as he often tells me "PUT YOUR HUSBAND IN JAILED" when DH has done something heinous like try to brush his teeth (he has some sensory problems).

drspouse Fri 01-Mar-19 09:33:33

Will she insist on inviting all her friends though , even though you haven't seen them for many years?
Yes, including her imaginary friends, and all the teddies she's ever had.

Rade Fri 01-Mar-19 09:33:54

Aw this takes me back to when DS was going to marry me. He's 21 now and has jilted me.

1tisILeClerc Fri 01-Mar-19 09:42:29

Of course she should take part as MO The bride.
Depending on how formal you are planning the whole event to be it could be great fun if the (so called grown ups) play along. Far more interesting than the usual MoB getting tipsy and falling asleep or whatever else happens.

AveAtqueVale Fri 01-Mar-19 09:43:17

My 4 year old is also wedding obsessed at the moment. She thinks she's going to marry me or DH...

My 4-year-old had full on snotty tears the other day when he discovered he could only marry one person at a time. ‘But I want to marry you AND Daddy 😭.’ I felt like it was the wrong moment to point out that he might actually have to look for someone entirely unrelated...

amusedbush Fri 01-Mar-19 09:51:08

I recommend repeated exposure to Jacques Vert to cure the problem

grin

Monty27 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:54:07

Red lips, curly hair and a cutsie dress.
And a lollipop of course grin

JaretsGirlfren Fri 01-Mar-19 09:58:25

My DD said I could be bridesmaid when she marries her best friend, then changed her mind and told me she had a far more important job for me and could I decorate the venue...

Witchend Fri 01-Mar-19 10:17:42

At 3yo dd1 was so upset when I said that she couldn't marry daddy that we agreed we'd shelve the discussion and discuss it when she was 16yo, as she couldn't marry until then anyway.
You'll be surprised to learn that the conversation at 16yo was very quick, easy and mostly comprised of her going hmm and confused

NannyRed Fri 01-Mar-19 10:22:44

@TheCraiDealer my friend also arrived to her daughters wedding to find she was wearing the same outfit as mother of the groom but in a different colour! So either it’s a regular thing or I know your mum.

(Did your mums colleague write your name cards for the tables?)

Iooselipssinkships Fri 01-Mar-19 10:28:08

How cute. Could you not give her the role of being Chief bridesmaid? Tell her it's a very important job!
My 6 year old son has said more than once he's marrying me when he's older. I've explained it doesn't quite work like that but he's adamant. I love that innocence.

Aprilshowersarecomingsoon Fri 01-Mar-19 10:33:59

When my ds got close to my new dh - when we told him we were getting married, he said if dh hadn't married me he would have (he was 4)...they are very close now and no resentment!!

beela Fri 01-Mar-19 10:34:24

Oh don't shatter her dreams!

Mummyoflittledragon Fri 01-Mar-19 10:38:58

These stories are soo cute! 😍

Mummyoflittledragon Fri 01-Mar-19 10:39:34

Oh and loving the idea of dressing her up as MOG in identical outfit to you 😬

TheLongRider Fri 01-Mar-19 10:50:22

Mine loved picking her potential wedding outfits from bridal magazines at that age. If you can get your hands on a couple of magazines, it's a good way to spend a wet afternoon with a scrapbook and glue stick. She can even draw her ideal outfit for you.

Otherwise I suggest a nice pastel two piece with a very large hat that no-one else can see past.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »