Talk

Advanced search

Drink drivers should be caned on insurance

(46 Posts)
JazzyBBG Thu 28-Feb-19 19:50:14

So my brother in law who I'm not a fan of has a pretty serious drink driving conviction. Added to this he's I suspect at least emotionally abusive to my sister and generally pretty vile. Also permanently pleads poverty as does my DS.

Saw him yesterday in a 3 year old BMW 5 series M sport. I'm told this is his new car. WTAF? How on earth would any insurance company insure him? And if they did Surely the premium should be extortionate??? I'm paying £700 on a similar spec car largely high due to my DH having an accident a few years ago. This man claims he can't afford childcare after school but he can afford this?

He has to drive for his job so he will have to supply evidence of insurance to his company so he is insured, whether he told them the truth is a different matter. And no it's not a company car he gets a small car allowance like £100 a month.

I just think insurers should not make it so easy for people with a DD conviction to have access to such high powered cars. My insurance goes up every year with me having 20 years no claims! Not sure if I'm AIBU or just wanting to vent. I'm not wrong??

Bigonesmallone3 Thu 28-Feb-19 19:54:21

Is his car nicer than yours?

You're not wrong no but don't let it bother you..

GregoryPeckingDuck Thu 28-Feb-19 19:56:02

He will be paying very expensive insurance.

BoomBoomsCousin Thu 28-Feb-19 19:58:40

Insurance is a business, not a social engineering arm of the government. If people who drink drive shouldn't have access to powerful cars that should be a restriction the courts can place on them. Insurance companies need to be able to get on the job of assessing risk and insuring people.

JazzyBBG Thu 28-Feb-19 19:59:01

Ha no his car is not nicer than mine ;) it just bothers me that nobheads like him shouldn't be driving. Especially something that powerful. And insurance companies are enabling it by letting him.

JazzyBBG Thu 28-Feb-19 20:00:28

@BoomBoomsCousin I get that but surely he is high risk? And with what he says should not be affordable. I also know another family member with multiple DD convictions whose insurance is £200. Basic car but the principle to me is these people are a risk.

ivykaty44 Thu 28-Feb-19 20:01:44

Has he got insurance?

JazzyBBG Thu 28-Feb-19 20:02:48

@ivykaty44 I imagine so as he will need it at work to claim expenses. Equally it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't.Whether he tells the insurers the truth is another matter I don't know how they check these things.

Fluffyears Thu 28-Feb-19 20:02:52

I think they should be banned for life!

JazzyBBG Thu 28-Feb-19 20:03:06

@Fluffyears agree

ivykaty44 Thu 28-Feb-19 20:05:59

You can check if a car is insured online

JazzyBBG Thu 28-Feb-19 20:07:45

@ivykaty44 oooh now you've set me off!

kalopali Thu 28-Feb-19 20:11:49

Why do you think it’s a powerful car? You don’t specify the model, could easily and most likely be a 520d. M Sport is just a trim level, it has NOTHING to do with performance.

John470322 Thu 28-Feb-19 20:13:11

Easy, lie to the insurance company, say you have no convictions.
The best bit is that when they find out they will prosecute and he will go to jail.

HolesinTheSoles Thu 28-Feb-19 20:13:35

YANBU, I would have thought his insurance would (and should) be ridiculously high.

JazzyBBG Thu 28-Feb-19 20:17:41

@kalopali I mean a proper M sport not just trim. Easily 3 litre +

Bigonesmallone3 Thu 28-Feb-19 20:19:24

An m5 would be the beasty one!!

BoomBoomsCousin Thu 28-Feb-19 20:21:16

Jazzy if the insurance company isn't calculating the extra risk of the DD conviction I would agree with you, I think that's V. unlikely though, they'd become the go-to insurance company for DDs and end up with much higher payouts than other insurers and so go bankrupt.

Insurance companies are allowed to take driving convictions into account for 5 years from the date of conviction and most do so for the full 5. A few, I think, don't bother after 3. Maybe the people you know are paying more than they are telling you?

Or maybe the risk isn't as high as you assume it is? If the car they are insuring is already a high-risk vehicle, for instance, the increase may not be as much as if it was a low-risk one as drink driving won't increase the risk at the same rate for each type. For a low-risk car with a previously good record, some could expect to see their insurance double, I believe (haven't worked with insurance for a few years). For a higher risk car it probably wouldn't go up by as big a percentage, though it would obviously be a higher total amount.

BoomBoomsCousin Thu 28-Feb-19 20:26:29

Also, having an accident, if at fault, may be a greater indicator of risk than a DD conviction (in which no damage is caused and no claim made). You seem to assume that he ought to be being charged more than you and your DH are, but I don't think the risk is necessarily greater with the drink driver.

JazzyBBG Thu 28-Feb-19 20:29:43

@BoomBoomsCousin interesting info. I can't go into detail on what he did but it was pretty horrendous, not just a simple case of being pulled over and breathalysed, so if I look at it that way then yes I do feel I/all law abiding people should pay less. No one died but that was more luck than judgement and multiple vehicles involved.

BrizzleMint Thu 28-Feb-19 20:32:21

What Fluffyears said. There is no excuse for drink driving - the blood alcholol limit for driving should be zero.

BrizzleMint Thu 28-Feb-19 20:32:47

^ drink-typing is obviously OK though!

kalopali Thu 28-Feb-19 20:33:53

M Sport IS just a trim level. An M5 is the performance version. Stick the reg number in an insurance comparison site and you’ll find out what model it is.

greendale17 Thu 28-Feb-19 20:34:02

I agree with you OP.

FierceMother Thu 28-Feb-19 20:37:57

You say it's an old one? So if he wrecked it then it wouldn't be worth much. Insurance is largely about the cost of the vehicle and how much it would be to fix or replace so if he didn't pay much for the car then the insurance wouldn't be astronomical.

Yes I do agree that insurance should be a lot higher for dui convictions tho.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: