Talk

Advanced search

Is it unreasonable for a disabled person to park in a P and C space?

(88 Posts)
HappybutsometimesGrouchy Thu 28-Feb-19 19:27:38

My Dh is disabled and has a blue badge. Today we drove up to our local shop which has 1 Disabled space and 1 P and C space. The disabled space was taken (by someone with no blue badge, might I add!) there is a car behind us waiting to park so we drove into the P and C space and I got out to help my dh. The woman in the car behind us rolls down her window and starts shouting obscenities at us saying we have no right to be parking there as we have no kids. I apologise to her and explain my husband has a blue badge and really needs the extra space to get out of the car. She then tells me she doesn't give a fuck, she has a child and needs the space also. I said I would move the car once I got my dh out and she charmingly tells me to 'piss right off you fat bitch' and drives on. I'm a bit shook up by at, I am not good at confrontation and she has upset me. Obviously she was BU to shout abuse at me but was it wrong of me to take the space? Happy to be told if it was.

Friendofsadgirl Thu 28-Feb-19 23:22:30

YANBU!
DM once parked in a P&C space with my blue badge holding grandmother as all Disabled Parking spaces were taken with not a blue badge to be seen on any of the occupant cars. She was loudly abused by a woman driver "You can't park there - it's for people with children" to which my mild mannered DM politely replied "We are a parent and child" and walked away .

Talkingfrog Fri 01-Mar-19 00:16:43

In those circumstances I would say it was not unreasonable for you to park there. I think the car park should be marked out with 2 disabled spaces, instead of 1 of each.
I once challenged someone on using the parent and child space with no child. (asked where the child was). No badge was out at the time. The woman shouted at me "I can park here I am disabled" and waved her stick at me. My next comment was that I drove in before them, and they only got to the space before me by going through a no entry. If they hadn't done that, I would have been in the space first. There was a disabled space free thry could use. but went the correct way around, following the arrows. They went against the arrows, through a no entry to get to the space first. She just shouted abuse me telling me I was rude and waved her stick aggressively. Basically she was going to do what she wanted regardless.

PurpleDaisies Fri 01-Mar-19 00:18:19

She might have been disabled with no blue badge. I might wave my stick if I kept getting challenged by self appointed traffic wardens.

aLilNonnyMouse Fri 01-Mar-19 00:19:46

YANBU. I'm also disabled with a blue badge. I use P&C if all the blue badge bays are taken, and also if I forget to bring my badge (I have memory problems).

I need the extra space to get my wheelchair out and I am deaf, so parking in the empty spaces near the back is also dangerous as I wont hear any traffic and I've got a limited few being so low down.

TitsAndTomatoes Fri 01-Mar-19 00:23:24

Not disabled, have a baby and always need access to p&c for her pram etc.

There is no way on earth id ever think my parking 'needs' trump that of a blue badge holder. Im mortified for you.

Disabled ALWAYS take priority. Always.

JenniferJareau Fri 01-Mar-19 00:39:09

Supermarket I use occasionally has placed p&c spaces well away from the front of the store. Easy access to the entrance by a walkway /path but not right in front like before.

Cinderella2019 Fri 01-Mar-19 00:57:47

Agree with responses on this thread. Obviously.

Got me thinking though. On the numerous wheelchair vs buggy on bus threads it is often suggested that buses have both designated wheelchair spaces and designated buggy spaces (the bus in question may be a tardis) in an attempt to keep everyone happy I guess. In fact a quick google reveals that this is actually a thing in Manchester and Watford.

If a bus has a designated wheelchair space and a designated buggy space, both being utilised, and a second wheelchair user wishes to board the bus, does the parent with the buggy still need to disembark in that scenario (presuming they have s tank buggy that doesnt fold easily)? Because it would seem to me that they would and should. But then what’s the point of the designated buggy space? * ponders *

dreichuplands Fri 01-Mar-19 01:21:53

I also tend to follow rules carefully and get really annoyed when just anyone thinks they can use p&c spaces. But a blue badge holder when there are no more disabled spaces is fine. Ignore the woman.

BusySnipingOnCallOfDuty Fri 01-Mar-19 04:16:50

I get (well, got - mine aren't even toddlers anymore) irate if a non parent uses the p&c spaces, but always figured I wouldn't get cross with blue badge users.

I've now had a blue badge myself for a few years and I've only parked in p&c once and that by mistake recently, the spaces were next to each other in Ikea.

I'm glad to find out that actually I can do that if I need to - its always sods law that if I am suffering really badly that there is never a disabled space.

OP, try hard to forget that lady. And as for her insult, whether you're fat or not, I hate it when people hurl that one out as abuse. Its just uneccessary.

StopMakingAFoolOutofMe Fri 01-Mar-19 07:11:05

Shame the stick didn't do more than wave.

Nothinglefttochoose Fri 01-Mar-19 08:01:07

That is terrible. No you absolutely should have parked there. P&C parks infuriate me. Especially the parents who use a space, one parent gets out to do the groceries and the other one sits in the car with the kids. That’s not what it’s bloody for!!

IWantChocolates Fri 01-Mar-19 08:09:08

@Cinderella2019

it is often suggested that buses have both designated wheelchair spaces and designated buggy spaces (the bus in question may be a tardis) in an attempt to keep everyone happy I guess. In fact a quick google reveals that this is actually a thing in Manchester and Watford.

Also Oxford. The buggy space is narrower, behind the stairs, with fold-down seats. There's no backrest for a wheelchair in the buggy space, so if there was already a wheelchair in the designated space then another can't fit on. But that's the same if there's only a space for a wheelchair. I think most buses state how many seated and standing passengers the bus can hold and state '1 wheelchair'.

Butteredghost Fri 01-Mar-19 08:09:53

Legally anyone can use a p n c space so a bb holder certainly can.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »