Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be annoyed no birthday present?

(15 Posts)
CoolJule43 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:06:06

As this does matter so much to you then you need to sit down and talk about it and make your DH aware in no uncertain terms that you are so unhappy about it.

The minimum you expect is a card from the children and small gifts from them. If they are old enough, do they get pocket money so he could take them out and use their money for a gift?

As you clearly find it unacceptable for him not to buy you a present, tell him so. Not buying you one because he can't think of what to buy is a very poor excuse. Tell him how it makes you feel (e.g. unwanted, unloved, taken for granted).

Does your DH expect a card and present on birthdays or at Christmas from you and the DC? What was his upbringing like - did he not have presents?

He isn't a secret Jehovah's Witness is he? grin

FrozenMargarita17 Thu 28-Feb-19 23:13:49

If he knows you like something and he knows you're unhappy then why does he make zero effort? Do you not matter to him?

dontfluffthefluffer Thu 28-Feb-19 23:09:28

That's shitty of him. It's not hard to pick up a card and some chocs.

Is it your birthday today? If so happy birthday winethanks

gingerbiscuits Thu 28-Feb-19 19:00:17

That's lazy & downright shitty of your husband - he should have at least made sure the kids got you something & the 'I didn't know what to get you' excuse is just insulting. I'd have to have a serious rage about that!!

LuckyAmy1986 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:55:38

It is thoughtless! I’d be very upset too x

Jinxed2 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:27:28

Guess so 😏

gamerchick Thu 28-Feb-19 18:22:07

Well I'm assuming you've been let off the hook for his since he's set the bar?

Jinxed2 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:20:05

I have made it known....no not the first birthday we been together 13 yeare. I guess I just feel it’s a bit thoughtless.

Travis1 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:17:59

Nope not unreasonable. I love birthdays and husband and I go all out for each other. No doubt about 40 posters will be along directly to tell you that ‘they’ll never understand adults worrying about birthdays’ so of course you are being unreasonable but you really aren’t.

I assume this isn’t the first birthday you’ve had whilst with him? Has he said anything about it?

LuckyAmy1986 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:17:40

Well you need to make it known that you are upset so that this doesn’t happen again

Jinxed2 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:16:32

It varies sometimes I get something, sometimes not. It’s the fact the kids haven’t been able to get me anything that’s upset me really and also I think he should know what I would like after being together for so long (his excuse is he doesn’t know what to get me). Even some flowers or a box of chocolates would be better than nothing....

Justkeeprollingalong Thu 28-Feb-19 18:15:24

Not unreasonable at all. 💐

Purpleartichoke Thu 28-Feb-19 18:14:21

Birthdays matter for me. I’ve made that very clear with DH. I don’t need anything expensive, but knowing he planned ahead and got me a card and at least a small gift is important to me. Thankfully he understands, even if he finds it a bit silly.

Shoxfordian Thu 28-Feb-19 18:14:10

Obviously not
Is he usually like this about presents?

Jinxed2 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:11:47

My husband hasn’t got me a birthday present or even taken the kids to get me a token gift. I’m annoyed, AIBU?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »