Talk

Advanced search

Post sinus surgery nightmare, help.

(14 Posts)
MyNewtMyFrogMyLittleRedDog Thu 28-Feb-19 13:04:51

Posting in AIBU for traffic as I am at my wits end. I had sinus surgery on Monday due to recurrent MRSA sinus infections, scar tissue and deviated septum and was told to expect discomfort. It was uncomfortable on day one, and day two but I am in agony today. Surely it should be getting better? my nose is completely swollen/blocked and weeping and I have a horrific pressure headache that started last night and every movement is like the worst stabby hangover headache through my whole head. I have a mild cough and it's dizzyingly painful to even "ahem" never mind cough.

Has anybody found a pain relief regime that worked? I am currently on ibuprofen, paracetamol and codeine every 6 hours and with antibiotics every 12 hours. Three days after surgery I thought it would be easing but its getting worse and when I called up I was told its normal and am basically making a fuss. I had 4 kids via normal birth with gas and air and this actually feels like I gave birth to two ten pounders from my nostrils in one big sneeze.

Please, anything that could offer some relief and I will be forever in your debt.

Queenofthestress Thu 28-Feb-19 13:08:32

Anything menthol should help and yep it's normal for any surgery, it's secondary swelling, I had it with my breast op

Beetlewing Thu 28-Feb-19 13:17:01

Oh lord! I've had sinusitis in the past and it's definitely more painful than childbirth. I've never had to have surgery though! The only thing that worked for me was Boots decongestant tablets. They are the ones with pseudoephedrine in and just loosen everything up there. Careful incase there are contra-indications with your hosp meds though

Merryoldgoat Thu 28-Feb-19 13:28:35

Yes, the swelling after a few days makes it feel like it's getting worse.

You could ask for a better anti-inflammatory - I liked Diclofenac post-operatively.

Also, how strong is your codeine? If you aren't getting 60mg per dose then talk to your doctor to get a stronger dose which may help you sleep.

MyNewtMyFrogMyLittleRedDog Thu 28-Feb-19 13:37:55

I am getting the 60mg dose of codeine every 6 hours, really I shouldn't even be taking the ibuprofen as naproxen has destroyed my stomach but I am literally prepared to try anything at this point to ease it. My top teeth feel like they are being forced out, my head feels so swollen.....I am not a wuss with pain, I have had several surgery's and never needed more than paracetamol afterwards but this is a whole new fresh type of hell.

lmusic87 Thu 28-Feb-19 13:58:53

Oh god, I'm so sorry OP.

I would ask your pharmacy for advice, mine are really good with things like that.

jayho Thu 28-Feb-19 14:08:16

You poor thing, my sister had similar surgery and was in considerable pain for about ten days (sorry) BUT longer term, she's cured, she no longer has repeated infections and pain and distress. She was suicidal at times with her infections. I'm not exaggerating, it's hard for people who haven't experienced sinus pain to understand.

It won't be much help now but please, tough it out. Try to remember theimpact of your repeated infections and that you will soon be free.

With all good wishes

Earslaps Thu 28-Feb-19 14:10:17

You poor thing.

I had a sinus operation when I was 11 and again at 16 and it was so painful during the recovery. When I had my appendix out there was a women in the ward who had sinus surgery and she was wailing in pain around the clock.

If you have stomach issues could you ask for Diclofenac suppositories?

It will get better.

Enchomage Thu 28-Feb-19 15:07:43

Good advice re ask your pharmacist.
Also suggest you contact your GP surgery to say you are asking for help: what do they regard as the best ant inflammatory specifically for post operative inflammation and swelling,TELL them you are asking as the ibuprofen does not seem adequate and also
that you need to tell them you have had previous problems with gastric side effects on a non steroidal,so should you speak to the doctor about a drug to protect against this.
This is important, you have 2 very good reasons to ask to speak to your GP .Good luck.

QuirkyQuark Thu 28-Feb-19 15:23:34

Did they not give you sprays or creams to use up your nose?

Fiveredbricks Thu 28-Feb-19 15:26:00

@MyNewtMyFrogMyLittleRedDog if you cant take oral nsaids like ibuprofen ask for suppositories.

Also check your temp. It might be a post surgery infection.

LakieLady Thu 28-Feb-19 15:27:36

I had sinus surgery 15 years ago and it was bloody painful for the first couple of weeks. I was given morphine post-op and then codeine after being discharged.

It took quite a long time (3 months or so) before I was pain free, but I'm so glad I had it done now.

MyNewtMyFrogMyLittleRedDog Thu 28-Feb-19 16:24:55

Sorry, kind of ashamed to say that I cried myself to sleep after a very mediocre cough made me panic , then I felt like I couldn't breathe and hyperventilated. I do feel marginally better after an hours sleep but that has been happening from day one. I wake up feeling ok, I am awake for two hours, I feel worse, I sleep, I wake up in pain but feeling a little better, then I feel worse.

I am on antibiotics, I had to be because of the mrsa. I do not have a temperature but the last 2-3 hours I am freezing so I think that combined with the green mucous is likely the same cold my kids had last week.

My daughter has just had to go back to the hospital to get me more nose bolsters that tie around the back of my head. I wish I had known she was going as I would have asked for more different pain relief. if I do not feel better by tomorrow, I am going back to get new medication. I can not cope with this level of increasing pain, being scared to breathe and move. It is brutal and worse than any of the hundred sinus infections that have caused the need for this surgery.

MyNewtMyFrogMyLittleRedDog Thu 28-Feb-19 16:27:53

I do have saline spray for up my nose, I use that daily and have done for years but to be honest my nose is that congested its pretty much useless. I am rinsing it three times daily but I know its not getting more than a few mm in. Then I have to put in anti biotic cream.

If I had known it would have been this bad, I would have said no and just struggled on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »