Talk

Advanced search

To feed the family meatballs that have been open in the fridge for 4 days

(15 Posts)
Notthemessiah Thu 28-Feb-19 12:21:59

I have half a pack of Costco pre-cooked swedish meatballs that have been open and in the fridge since Sunday - meant to eat them earlier but circumstances prevented it.

On the pack it says eat within two days of opening, but that's just a really conservative estimate right?

I was planning to heat them in the oven first.

Namechangedbecauseiwantto Thu 28-Feb-19 12:26:03

Do they smell ok? If they do, I would eat them, but you'll get some nervous Nancy along in a minute who got food poisoning after eating something that was 3 seconds out of date!

fleshmarketclose Thu 28-Feb-19 12:36:00

I'd smell them and if they were smelling ok I'd use them.

SapphireSeptember Thu 28-Feb-19 12:36:03

Are they still in date? If so I would eat them. Milk says three days too, but I never use a whole bottle of milk within three days!

DonnaDarko Thu 28-Feb-19 12:37:44

If it smells ok and looks ok, it's ok 😀 that's my mantra lol

I've only ever had food poisoning once, and that was from a takeaway !

Notthemessiah Thu 28-Feb-19 14:08:49

They certainly smell and look OK as far as I can tell. If it was just me I'd eat them no problem, but I'd rather not be responsible for poisoning the whole house (or having to clean up if that happened)!

hannonle Thu 28-Feb-19 14:28:25

If your fridge is efficient and at a cold temperature, then I would eat them. If you're fridge is a bit crap then it's riskier.
Cook them well so they get properly hot and I'm sure it will be fine.

Marmite27 Thu 28-Feb-19 14:29:14

If they smelled ok, in a heartbeat!

Gth1234 Thu 28-Feb-19 14:37:04

I wouldn't bother for meatballs. I would prefer not to have meatballs at all to be honest. No idea what's in them.

Notthemessiah Thu 28-Feb-19 14:51:31

But meatballs are fab (especially swedish ones)!

Hahaha88 Thu 28-Feb-19 14:55:24

Defo eat them. Just nuke them well. Four days is pretty much my limit, I'd possibly push to five depending on how poor I was/too lazy to buy/cook something fresh

Loopylou6 Thu 28-Feb-19 14:58:40

I wouldn't want to risk giving my family D&V

Notthemessiah Thu 28-Feb-19 17:07:56

Well I've decided I'm going to eat them but will do something else for the rest of the family (unless they want to join me). Thanks for the replies.

Gth1234 Fri 01-Mar-19 17:07:16

@notthemessiah

Its 24 hours now, Did you survive?

Notthemessiah Fri 01-Mar-19 17:10:53

Still here thanks, as is my youngest who is obviously braver than his two big brothers and joined me. I think the fact that he got three times as much as normal outweighed any worry he had about how long they had been in the fridge smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »