Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to hand in my notice?

(12 Posts)
runninguphills Thu 28-Feb-19 10:39:27

I was 'lucky' to get my current job, lots of competition to get it and on the surface seems an ideal job for me. My boss is lovely but he's completely disorganised and my job role was to get involved in running a project.

However, there wasn't a 'project' for me to get involved with - they basically advertised for an employee with no job for them to do!

I like to be productive and so have been helping out my boss on different jobs/events - however, he's so disorganised - I have no idea what needs to be done as it's all new to me and the regular last min decision changes are mind boggling! I also work in a different location to him so only meet once a month. I have no guidance and no team around me for support (as there's no project) . I've approached him and have a agreed to set up a smaller project - but again, there's little support.

Six months on I'm starting to become very unhappy and dispondent in my role. I'm usually really enthusiastic but am now losing the will to live and becoming unconfident in my professional abilities. In fact, I'm really starting to hate it and dread Monday mornings.

It's well paid and I'd have to take a big wage cut to leave and change my lifestyle a lot (I have a consultancy job that I could do) . Would you hang on in there to see if things improve or get out before I feel even worse than I do now?

gottagetbetter7 Thu 28-Feb-19 10:53:48

It always amazes me to see, in difficult economic times for many, that there are companies who create well-paying jobs that don't actually exist! I have seen this a number of times on here and it is very puzzling.

Personally the worst type of job for me is a non-role like yours. I can cope with most things but being bored out of my brain is not one of them. You have that coupled with "managing" your seemingly hopeless boss so if you can leave without serious consequences I think I would just cut my losses on this one.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Thu 28-Feb-19 10:53:49

You're being paid to do nothing. Im also paid to do nothing. I study most of the day.

Boring, but pensionable grin

pippistrelle Thu 28-Feb-19 10:55:42

That would depend on whether I thought I had done all I could to sort things out. Have you spoken to your boss about the problems you are facing and allowed him the opportunity to put things in place that might increase your contribution and your job satisfaction?

MeredithGrey1 Thu 28-Feb-19 10:57:39

You're being paid to do nothing. Im also paid to do nothing.

Me too. Just counting down the days until maternity leave in May. Its horribly frustrating and demoralising to constantly try and be pro-active and find things to do, and still end up at a loose end all the time. I'd definitely look for something else if I were you, and I probably will once I'm back from maternity leave.

runninguphills Thu 28-Feb-19 10:58:36

I'm not doing nothing - I'm trying to sort out things that I haven't got the skill set for (as it's not the job I applied for) - with no support/supervision.

lmusic87 Thu 28-Feb-19 10:59:21

You need to discuss it with your manager before making any big decisions

gottagetbetter7 Thu 28-Feb-19 11:00:18

You said they advertised for someone with no job to do. That reads as nothing to most people,

VioletCharlotte Thu 28-Feb-19 11:01:39

I'd stick it out until you can find something else. You may as well be paid to job hunt! Can you work from home? If so I'd do that as much as possible and use the time to update your cv, apply for jobs, etc. If you've raised it with them and they've still not given you anything to do, then they've brought this on themselves really.

runninguphills Thu 28-Feb-19 11:02:50

MeredithGrey - it's good to know someone feels the same way as me. I haven't got anything to do so trying to be proactive in a brand new job is very difficult. I'm just being thrown bits of hassle jobs to sort that Im completely winging at.

Uptheshard Thu 28-Feb-19 11:03:12

Hi. I'm in same position as you.
Do a list. If I leave i can achieve.... if I don't i will have to put up with...

runninguphills Thu 28-Feb-19 11:14:10

Thanks. I feel lonely, lost and out of my depth doing jobs I'm not very sure on how should be done sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »