Talk

Advanced search

Bed wetting & success with the alarm

(6 Posts)
headinhands Thu 28-Feb-19 10:45:12

I just saw the gp. Didn't need a referral as she prescribed the meds then and there.

headinhands Thu 28-Feb-19 10:44:35

Dd had dermopressin for a couple of weeks which seemed to kick her own body into gear and she hasn't had an accident since. She was about 9 so this was quite a few years ago.

Shutityoutart Thu 28-Feb-19 10:33:34

My boy is 6.5 and still in pull ups. I saw the HV recently who said they won’t refer to an enuresis clinic until he is 7, so your boy fits the criteria to be referred now.
I’ve got an alarm ready to use in the summer but I’m dreading it as my boy is a deep sleeper too. However we’ve had a random couple of dry nights this week for the first time ever - so I’m keeping fingers crossed.
Definitely see about a referral though .

KeepingTheWormsQuiet Thu 28-Feb-19 10:27:23

Go to the doctor. The alarm might not be right for him. My son needed the hormones (desmopressin), which cured the problem.

ScatteredMama82 Thu 28-Feb-19 10:22:43

If you haven't been to the doctor yet I would recommend going. My son is 9 and we have always had occasional bedwetting. It could be a few months between episodes. We've had a visit to the enuresis clinic following referral from the GP. Their advice has been excellent, and the idea is that they find out what 'pathway' is leading to the wetting as there are various reasons for it. Ours is isn't solved yet, but we are working on it. For us it's a combination of not drinking enough (so his bladder muscles are weak as they aren't used to holding a lot) and lack of hydration leading to constipation which makes bedwetting more likely. We've noticed that his wetting coincides with not having a poo for a few days! Good luck x

freds1010 Thu 28-Feb-19 10:18:45

I am posting this as after 11 nights of attempting the bed wetting alarm with my 8 year old as I think we are going backwards!
He is a very deep sleeper and for the first couple of nights was waking after having a small accident to make it to the toilet for the rest. The problem for the past couple of nights is that he is so tired from waking twice a night he is actually sleeping through the alarm and totally emptying his bladder before waking up :-(

I know the alarm can take a while to work and I do want to preserve, I just wondered if anyone else had found this with their child. I also don't think it helps that he struggles to hold his wee at the best of times, so being tired and trying to do this just doesn't seem to be working for him sad

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated. I always thought he would grow out of it eventually, but am now thinking we may need to see the doctor for some advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »