Talk

Advanced search

To ask for help with broken leg

(12 Posts)
chelseaMumma Thu 28-Feb-19 09:52:18

Posting here for traffic

Ds 12 broke his leg last night, clean break of the shin bone.

He is in a temporary cast from above his knee to his toes.

He is in agony!!

What can I do to help him???

He has asthma so was told to take calpol only for pain relief.

(I've been to the chemist and they advised co codamol instead)

This is breaking my heart, I've not slept yet so feeling emotional.

I can't even get him to the toilet, he's peeing in bottles!

queenrollo Thu 28-Feb-19 09:59:56

I would call 111 for advice but personally I would try to get him seen again and a prescription for either co-codamol or oramorph for a couple of days.

MiGi777 Thu 28-Feb-19 10:01:24

Oh my god! Calpol for a broken leg? That's cruel. Surely they can give him something more than that? You poor thing. Id give the GP a call and explain he's in agony despite taking the prescribed calpol and ask if they can offer any advice re controlling the pain. I feel for you. That's a difficult one. 💐

Hearthside Thu 28-Feb-19 10:51:12

Bless him , i badly broke my ankle and no way would paracetamol even gone near the pain and i have a high pain threshold so i can only imagine his pain level sad.I would contact your gp op say he is suffering badly and he needs stronger painkillers asap ,it heartbreaking to see your child in agony and he shouldn't have to be poor mite .You can hire a wheelchair off your local Red Cross for a small donation i did while i was unable to weight bear if he wanted to get around easier it all depend's on how much room you have .I really do feel for you both it is a miserable injury flowers.

chelseaMumma Thu 28-Feb-19 12:15:42

Thanks all

I'm waiting on a call back from my gp surgery.

Theoscargoesto Thu 28-Feb-19 13:09:18

Poor DS hope he gets his pain managed soon.
When he gets a bit better and isn't in pain, get him a bag with long handles so he can carry things whilst on crutches by hanging it over a shoulder. That way he can carry a drink and snack and eat them in front of the TV or wherever (hot drinks in thermos flasks). And when bathing, put person in bath then add water. To get out of bath, let water out first (can you tell I've been in his position once or twice!)

DontCallMeCharlotte Thu 28-Feb-19 13:15:10

Why on earth has he been sent home if it's that severe?

When do they expect to put him in a proper cast? And what is a proper cast these days?

(How will he be able to bath? I had both legs in plaster casts in my teens and couldn't bath as they would have dissolved. It was a "pits and bits" affair for six weeks. I bet I was lovely to be near!)

Poor lad sad

chelseaMumma Thu 28-Feb-19 13:26:13

Doctor has just prescribed codeine for him so I will pick that up later today.

Also said to chase up the hospital as they should've called by now

chelseaMumma Thu 28-Feb-19 13:55:41

Have to wait until tomorrow to get his full cast sad

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Thu 28-Feb-19 14:04:01

It's awful, but normal to have to wait for a 'proper' cast: I broke my ankle on a Thursday and had to wait until the following Monday to be plastered.
It's because the limb swells up, and until the swelling has gone down a bit, the bone would set wrongly because the cast would be too large and allow movement... Horrid but logical. Hope that your DS heals quickly.

SeaToSki Thu 28-Feb-19 14:09:26

Elevate his leg ... toes above hip and hip above heart (if u can manage that). Ice packs every 20 mins, it will work its way through the cast. Then chase chase chase for a proper cast and better drugs. If he is taking codeine, give him dried apricots too to keep his bowels moving and lots and lots of fluids. Also codeine is a bit hit or misss on who it works for and who it doesnt, so if it doesnt work for dc, then chase them for an alternate

Nat6999 Thu 28-Feb-19 14:40:03

Could you ask the hospital for a Zimmer frame to help him get around at home? I broke my ankle & due to dyspraxia couldn't use crutches, I was given a Zimmer & managed quite well to get around, I had a carrier bag tied on the front for anything I needed to carry around. For the pain & swelling, he needs to keep his leg elevated, I found putting a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel on top of my pot helped to relieve the swelling, just make sure he doesn't get the pot wet. If the pain doesn't improve, ask your doctor for some stronger painkillers, I found once I was in my permanent plaster the pain reduced a lot, it was very painful when I had the backslab temporary pot on. Could you look at getting a raised toilet seat with arms on for him to use? You can buy them from a disability shop or Argos do an excellent range of disability aids & you can get same day delivery as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »