Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to consider wearing white as an older bride?

(21 Posts)
Orchidfeed Thu 28-Feb-19 09:50:05

I have considered dark/bright favourite colours but an ad for a knee length white (ivory?) lace dress just popped up and I really liked it

I’m 60 & size 12 or 10 on a good day & have previously avoided white as think it makes me look huge 😂 but I’m just wondering for this special day....

Frenchmom Thu 28-Feb-19 09:51:35

I don’t see the problem with the dress you’re describing. I have seen a number of older brides in the same type of outfit.

MikeUniformMike Thu 28-Feb-19 09:53:26

It sounds great. I would wear white or ivory because you are the bride and it's your big day. Your age shouldn't affect your decision.

Hellohah Thu 28-Feb-19 09:53:45

It is your wedding day, it's special and I think you should wear whatever you want! I wouldn't worry about your age or anybody else - just yourself. Have a lovely wedding day xx

MikeUniformMike Thu 28-Feb-19 09:55:11

And neither should your weight.
Congratulations and best wishes. flowers

FiveShelties Thu 28-Feb-19 09:55:39

Wear what you want - have a lovely day, and enjoy every second.

Allfednonedead Thu 28-Feb-19 09:57:32

I wore white to get married, despite having three DC clinging to my skirts. Wear what you feel fabulous in!

Birdsgottafly Thu 28-Feb-19 09:58:07

White signifies joy, that's why it was worn. If your wedding is a joyful occasion, then white is appropriate.

A lot of older Women don't find white flattering, so that's why it isn't a popular choice.

But just because you've managed to live so many years, doesn't mean that you can't wear something you like.

Adversecamber22 Thu 28-Feb-19 09:58:56

Wear what you like though these days is people have a veil over their face it’s pushing hiding virgin blushes a bit smile

I rarely go to the style and beauty boards but the couple of times and I have literally twice in ten years it’s been really useful. With any bride just remember there are many variations of white and ivory colours and it’s all about skin tone.

Any ideas what your looking for?

Adversecamber22 Thu 28-Feb-19 10:00:46

Brave enough for a link to the dress Op?

Apologies for typos in previous post

MiGi777 Thu 28-Feb-19 10:03:06

Wear whatever you want and whatever makes you look and feel fabulous!! It's your big day! Go for it!

lmusic87 Thu 28-Feb-19 10:06:13

It's your day, wear what makes you happy!

IM0GEN Thu 28-Feb-19 10:10:22

Wear what you like and what suits you. 60 is the new 40 don’t you know?

Why not start a thread in style and beauty with some links ? The S&B girls love a wedding dress thread. You will make them very happy.

Sparklesocks Thu 28-Feb-19 10:17:40

I think you should wear whatever you feel comfortable and happy in, OP! It’s your special day, you’re marrying the person you love, you just celebrate and wear the dress you want. I wouldn’t think twice about an older lady in a white dress. Just try not to drop any food or wine on it!

TheFaerieQueene Thu 28-Feb-19 10:18:38

Wear what you like. It’s your day! Have fun.

GregoryPeckingDuck Thu 28-Feb-19 10:20:07

Where what you like and what makes you happy. It’s lovely that you are getting married and everyone there on the day will be too busy being happy to care what you wear.

GreatDuckCookery6211 Thu 28-Feb-19 10:22:24

Wear what makes you feel good OP.

Bluesmartiesarebest Thu 28-Feb-19 10:25:17

Congratulations on your wedding.

I think you should wear the dress that you like and being 60 makes no difference to wearing a white lace dress. Size 12 is not big and you’ll look lovely flowers

notanothernam Thu 28-Feb-19 10:26:53

Wear a white meringue dress if you want! Full hog tiara and all, it's your wedding and anyone who doesn't like that can fuck off 🤷‍♀️ congrats 🙂

paap1975 Thu 28-Feb-19 10:28:09

It's your wedding. Wear whatever makes you feel good.

Orchidfeed Thu 28-Feb-19 10:35:43

Thanks for all your encouragement 😊
It’s the Monsoon Henrietta but there are others similar. I guess I need to try it on to see how it looks
Allfed I’ll warn my DC no clinging to my skirts... DC is pushing 30 😂
Sparkle seems to have hit on a potential practical problem...maybe I’ll need to spray it with some retardant 😂
I wasn’t planning a veil...but might almost be worth it for the look on DPs face...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »