Talk

Advanced search

Or his DP? (Heating)

(86 Posts)
GirlOnIt Wed 27-Feb-19 22:51:40

We've recently got hive and he's driving me mad! I admit I can feel the cold and I tend to just turn the heating up if I'm cold. I think sometimes even if it says 20 it can feel chilly.

So we've got frigging hive and he's got the app on his phone. So will just turn it down, even when he's not in the house but I am. He's out tonight and he's turned it down, he claims he thought I'd be in bed and I'd forgotten to turn it down. But he's obsessed, he never puts it above19 unless it's really cold out and then he'll stretch to 20. I tend to put it up to 22 which he Noah's about.

If he's not in though he gets no say over the heating does he?

Slightly lighthearted, but I'm considering LTB, if he doesn't stop fucking with the heating when he's not even in the house!

DonnaDarko Wed 27-Feb-19 22:55:31

Get the app and turn it up to 30 when you're out 😀

Comefromaway Wed 27-Feb-19 22:57:17

These apps are often used to control and abuse.

Is there a way of disabling it.

sackrifice Wed 27-Feb-19 22:58:49

We have the same, but have an agreed temp of 21 in the 6-8 slot, and the 4:30-10pm slot.

If either of us needs it on earlier for whatever reason, we just put it on.

If my OH turned it off when he wasn't home, I'd flip my lid. And i'd disconnect it from the WiFi.

It wouldn't even cross our minds to do this to each other.

CluedoAddict Wed 27-Feb-19 22:59:09

Ours never goes above 18. Also never on after 9 at night. It must cost you a fortune having it on that high.

MaxNormal Wed 27-Feb-19 23:00:40

CluedoAddict not necessarily. We're in a new build and can have it roasting without spending much.

OscarIsaacsEyes Wed 27-Feb-19 23:02:43

This would annoy me. Our heating is set to 22/23, sometimes higher if I'm just relaxing.

If your husband is out, he gets no say. My OH gets no say even when he is at home.

LTB, then wait till you know he's home and use the app to turn heating to as high as it goes. wink

megletthesecond Wed 27-Feb-19 23:04:01

Yanbu.

Evilspiritgin Wed 27-Feb-19 23:05:42

My god mine was at 32😳

GirlOnIt Wed 27-Feb-19 23:09:59

Our heating bills have gone up a fair bit since I've been on mat leave so I think that's why he's bothered. Our bedroom does seem to get warmer too so he worries a bit that it will get too warm for Ds. Obviously I keep a check on that though.

mystar Wed 27-Feb-19 23:11:32

I co-own a boiler installation company and see this argument daily but the results vary dependant upon how long you are at home and what you consider your ambient temperature.

I hate being cold but will only bang it up on weekend. During the week I have the mindset that I should be in the office so I turn it off; even if I’m home. On a weekend I bang mine to 28. Husband turns it to 21.

Smart thermostats work with your usuage so use it and let them work

PickAChew Wed 27-Feb-19 23:12:38

32? That's heatwave temperature. Do you walk around starkers?

GirlOnIt Wed 27-Feb-19 23:12:39

32!? Really @Evilspiritgin? I'm not that bad. I'll creep it up to 23 and that tends to get the living room up to 24, that feels really warm though. Nicely really warm, but it will sometimes have me taking my snuggle socks off warm.

Merryoldgoat Wed 27-Feb-19 23:13:49

I would actually divorce my husband if he was a dick about the heating.

I’d sooner be hungry than cold but I’m very fortunate to be neither.

Tell him the temperature is none of his business if he’s not at home and you are. Because it’s not.

sleepylittlebunnies Wed 27-Feb-19 23:14:01

That would annoy me. Aslong as you can afford the bills it should be set to a temperature that is comfortable for the person sat home. We don’t have hive and it would be handy to be able to turn it down from bed if I’d forgotten rather than going downstairs but I’d hate someone who’s out to control it.

My Dad would have been a nightmare if it was around when I was a kid. I grew up in a large Victorian house with no central heating or double glazing, used to sleep with a woolly hat on in the winter. When I was a teen I bought an electric heater for my bedroom and kept it hidden, it was lovely smile.

GirlOnIt Wed 27-Feb-19 23:14:21

Dp usually comes in from worn and he's like it's far too warm and starts opening the windows.

GirlOnIt Wed 27-Feb-19 23:15:05

From work.

LindaLa Wed 27-Feb-19 23:15:29

Change the wifi password to "leave the fucking heating alone, I'm cold"
Every time he leaves the house.

Evilspiritgin Wed 27-Feb-19 23:15:30

Yep I have it for one hour at most and the house is warm for the rest of the night

junebirthdaygirl Wed 27-Feb-19 23:21:47

When dh retired he was like this. Too much time on his hands and he became obsessed with turning the heat down. We have a thermostat in each room and l like the one we sit in at night to be warmer. Slowly he was turning it down a degree every night. It drove me spare. I was going to put a note on it saying if you lay a hand on this thermostat l will cut your hand off but felt that was a bit extreme so said l would move out to a hotel if he bloody touched it once more. You have my full sympathy.
I only wanted 20. I couldn't cope with 32.

PooleySpooley Wed 27-Feb-19 23:23:29

I switched my heating off last weekend - no one has noticed 😂😂👍🏻

GirlOnIt Wed 27-Feb-19 23:30:50

I don't know how to change the wifi password @LindaLa. Don't think that would make a difference though he's out so using 4g anyway.

He did turn it back up when I phoned him and said what the fuck! Although he tried his, why don't you put a jumper on, speech.

GirlOnIt Wed 27-Feb-19 23:31:49

Oh really @PooleySpooley. I'd definitely notice if it was off completely. I can tell when we turned it down.

ALargeGinPlease Wed 27-Feb-19 23:32:54

My DH would be like this, he regularly switches the utility room light off even when I'm still out in the kitchen and very likely to go out there. Drives me mad! I think he does it for a joke sometimes, but I have a complete sense of honour fail over it, so you have my sympathies.
I like the idea of changing the WiFi code to 'leave the bloody heating on'

hazell42 Wed 27-Feb-19 23:34:20

I find anything over about 17 unbearably warm, but I am of a certain age and female.
Put a jumper on and tell him to chill

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »