Advanced search

To think paying 75% of the council tax is unfair?

(154 Posts)
NotaSpringChicken Wed 27-Feb-19 21:40:52

Any council officers on here at present? Advice appreciated please.

DD has just moved into a shared house with another young woman. It is DDs first job after 4 years as a student and her first house share. The other girl is a mature student, still at Uni, so far so good.

Today council tax bill arrives. DD is expected to pay 75% of the tax as the other girl is a student and therefore exempt. This means DD picks up the whole bill with a 25% discount while the other girl has no bill to pay. She is upset and worried as money is tight for her.

Is the council entitled to do this to DD? She had expected to pay 50% of the bill and the other 50% to be covered by her housemate's student exemption.

Crystalintheeyes Wed 27-Feb-19 21:43:25

Why would the house mate pay any of it when she’s exempt ? confused

The bill is for your dd, she needs to pay it.

I don’t understand why you think someone that is exempt from council tax should cover your dd.

MoBiroBo Wed 27-Feb-19 21:44:34

Council tax is 50% property (including the land) and 50% people based on 2 adults (can be single parent with an adult child)

So the student is exempted from the person charge reducing the bill to 75%. They have to have a student certificate from the university (I used to work in Council Tax)

This has to be sorted out between your DD and the mature student as to what they agreed.

In a couple most don't split the council tax 50/50 cost wise.

WallisFrizz Wed 27-Feb-19 21:45:44

To be fair it sounds right (though I am no expert). The housemate is a student so exempt, therefore has no bill to pay. Your DD is not exempt from council tax but as the only adult in the house that can pay it, she is entitled to single person discount, therefore ‘only’ has to pay 75%.

If the housemate was not exempt, they could split the 100% bill. If they were both students they would not pay anything.

MadCatLadee Wed 27-Feb-19 21:45:53

I think that they should split it 50:50. It was the student's decision not to live with other students.

newmumwithquestions Wed 27-Feb-19 21:47:01

It’s counted that the student isn’t there, (they’re a non-person!) so your DD has to pay the bill as if she is the only one there - hence the 25% single person allowance.

It is a bit tough for your DD, but that is how it is calculated. The student is not liable for it.

WallisFrizz Wed 27-Feb-19 21:47:31

No MadCat, it was the non students decision to live with someone who was a student and therefore had no need to share that bill.

tenbob Wed 27-Feb-19 21:48:32

Council tax bills aren’t issued to people, they are issued to households

So the student is not exempt. She is a resident of a household with a discounted bill and they are both responsible for it

Ellisandra Wed 27-Feb-19 21:49:02

Did she not research this before, or discuss it with the landlord? (is it a sublet from the student?)
She must know about exemption if she’s been a student for 4 years.
Why on earth would an exempt person pick up 50% of the bill?
This isn’t something to query with the Council Tax, it’s part of your daughter growing up - this stuff is easy to check, and she should have checked before moving in.

Hahaha88 Wed 27-Feb-19 21:49:33

Surely she discussed the living costs before moving in together? If not it's pretty much tough luck on her. And TBH if it was your daughter still a student and her house mate expecting her to pay half the council tax, despite being excempt and there only being a council tax bill because her house mate works, I'm sure you'd be on here bemoaning the request for her to pay half of it

olderthanyouthink Wed 27-Feb-19 21:50:28

And this is why I shot the idea of moving in with a friend who was a student and some of her student friends when I was not also a student. I didn't fancy paying all the council tax on a very large house even with the single person discount.

Daisymay2 Wed 27-Feb-19 21:50:35

Yes , its correct. My son has the same issue in reverse. Sharing with 2 guys who are working. He is a student. There is no reduction for him and he is paying 33% of the Council Tax as we felt it unfair to ask the guys to pay 50% each.
Not being unsympathetic, but it is pretty clear if you look on any Council's website.

Zofloramummy Wed 27-Feb-19 21:50:56

Depends on your dd’s income as well. Is she entitled to benefits? If she gets UC there should be an additional reduction.
However if she earns over £16k that’ll be unlikely.

RandomMess Wed 27-Feb-19 21:51:28

It's probably worth your DD applying for UC to see if she can get something towards her rent at CT.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Wed 27-Feb-19 21:51:32

Unfortunately sounds right to me

MummytoCSJH Wed 27-Feb-19 21:52:32

Students are fully exempt and although the council potentially could go after her for the bill as it is to the 'household', it is completely unfair to expect her to pay towards it. If your DD hadn't moved in the property would be exempt she wouldn't have had to pay anything at all. The 25% is not the student exemption, its the single person discount as she is classed as the only person in the household that has to pay council tax. It is your DDs bill.

Butterflies13 Wed 27-Feb-19 21:52:52

I lived with a student when I first moved to London and the same applied- the bill was 75% of the council tax rate and addressed to me alone. The student is exempt. It’s annoying that by living with a student I had to pay 25% more than I would have if I hadn’t lived with a student but that is just the way it is. It isn’t the student’s liability in any way.

radishingravish Wed 27-Feb-19 21:53:16

I think that is fair. Students are exempt from council tax, so the student does not need to pay. Luckily for your daughter she is living with a student so she gets a reduction in council tax.

Ellisandra Wed 27-Feb-19 21:53:43


This says otherwise - exempt students cannot be held responsible for non payment.

Hwory Wed 27-Feb-19 21:54:40

I work for a council in the council tax support department and this is the case.

Unfortunate situation but your daughter is the only one liable to pay the council tax.

radishingravish Wed 27-Feb-19 21:55:05

I was a student living with someone with a job, so I can confirm that 75/25 is roughly correct. It is definitely not 50/50.

MummytoCSJH Wed 27-Feb-19 21:55:15

By the way I am a student and I live with my partner and 4 year old (who obviously is exempt). My partner pays the whole bill, as he should. It's his bill.

SaucyJack Wed 27-Feb-19 21:55:25

That sucks big balls for your DD, but sadly yes- she’s entirely liable for the whole (75%) council tax bill.

Holidayshopping Wed 27-Feb-19 21:55:49

This is hardly something new. Surely your daughter (or you) was aware of this beforehand?

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 27-Feb-19 21:56:09

Why would your dd expect her housemate to pay her bill? Students are exempt from council tax.

WallisFrizz Wed 27-Feb-19 21:58:06

Actually I think I’m doing a complete u-turn. Reading the link, I think it is clear that it is only households that are wholly made up of students that are exempt. Once they choose to live together the household is liable for the tax, but they get the reduction based on the student status. Apologies to whoever I corrected before.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 27-Feb-19 21:58:13

@tenbob no the council tax bill dues not apply to a student.

NameChanger22 Wed 27-Feb-19 21:58:16

I think generally speaking single people should only pay 50% council tax, I don't understand why they have to pay 75%, but that's a whole other thread.

Students shouldn't have to pay any council tax as they usually don't earn any money.

KanielOutis Wed 27-Feb-19 21:58:48

I work in Council Tax. A household full of students is exempt. As in no bill to pay. A household a mix and the students are 'disregarded'. There is a difference as the other adults are considered on their own merit. In this case your daughter is solely liable with a student disregard discount (25% off).

HappyMama01 Wed 27-Feb-19 21:59:00

When me and my husband were in a house share with 10 other people (who were all students) we were expected to pay council tax as we weren't students.

Sorry, but that's just how it is.

bigbluebus Wed 27-Feb-19 21:59:10

From Citizens Advice website:
What happens if someone you share with isn't a full-time student?
If you live with someone who isn't a full-time student, the property will not be exempt from council tax and a bill will be issued. However, whoever is liable to pay the council tax might qualify for a discount.

For example, if you share with an employed person or a part-time student, they will probably be liable for 75 per cent of the council tax bill. There is a 25 per cent discount because there is only one eligible adult in the property, you as the full-time student, are disregarded when counting the number of eligible adults in the property for discount purposes.

If you share with two or more employed people who are not students, they are likely to be liable for 100 per cent of the council tax bill, unless one or both of them qualifies as a disregarded person for council tax discount purposes. In this situation the local authority can only pursue the non-students for payment of the council tax bill.

Special rules apply where you live only with your non-British spouse, partner or dependant. Speak to an adviser if you're in this situation.

So my interpretation of the above is that your DD is the liable person and her student house mate is not liable.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 27-Feb-19 21:59:55

The council is definitely correct.

If money’s going to be tight, she could try asking the council to split the bill over 12 months rather than 10.

NotaSpringChicken Wed 27-Feb-19 22:01:31


I asked if anyone knew what the legal position was and didn't state that the other girl should pay. I asked if the council were correct to apply this formula. Typical Mumsnet to jump in without reading the post.


DD had expected the student's exemption to cover half the bill not just 25% of it. She didn't know this girl well when they agreed to house share. I guess it is a lesson in life for her, but an expensive one.

If the council are legally entitled to apply this formula then there is nothing DD can do about it. DD is naive and it didn't occur to her that this would happen as it is her first house share.

heartshapedpositnotes Wed 27-Feb-19 22:01:35

Did they decide to move in together into this new place, rather than your daughter being the primary tenant and deciding afterwards to enlist her friend?

Having been a student in several shared places (but always with other students), i would pay half of the council tax as a student as an unofficial tax for living with an employed friend. I wouldn't want my friend to be footing more of the bills when she could have got a non-student instead.

MyNewBearTotoro Wed 27-Feb-19 22:01:54

It’s unfortunate for your DD that by living with a student, who is exempt from the bill and treated as if she’s not there, that she is the only person in the house paying council tax. That means she’s entitled to the single person discount, but this is only 25%. So yes, your DD is responsible for all of the bill.

Having been a student for four years herself and presumably not paying council tax in that time she should have known her student friend would still be exempt from this so I’m not sure how it’s come as a surprise?

PersonaNonGarter Wed 27-Feb-19 22:02:51

Why is this news to your DD? And why do you think it is unfair?

Grace212 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:04:54

yes, it sounds like your DD has been caught out more by the crappy discount for a single occupant - she thought it would be 50% but alas, no.

I will never understand why council tax isn't per person but that's a whole other thread...

Alicesweewonders Wed 27-Feb-19 22:07:27

Is there a lock on her bedroom door? I was in a similar situation, I went to citizens advice and if she doesn't have access to the full property, then she is merely renting a room & the landlord was responsible for Council tax. This is what happened to me. I would confirm with CA though as this was 10 years ago.

heartshapedpositnotes Wed 27-Feb-19 22:09:04

Cross-posted with others - it seems that students and non-students should live with their own demographic. But for the sake of one party paying, for example 75 quid a month (at the cheap level of council tax minus 25%), someone knowingly going into that household should 'ethically' pay towards that, if it hasn't been discussed/thought of beforehand.

Lightofday Wed 27-Feb-19 22:09:20

This is the sort of thing you are supposed to discuss before moving in with someone. Your daughter can't now ask the flatmate to contribute. That's why students tend to stay with other students. Clearly neither of them knew about this...but it is your daughters bill to pay either way. If i was the student flatmate and i found out about it I might be nice and suggest paying something towards it. But it would be cheeky for your daughter to ask for a contribution.

NotaSpringChicken Wed 27-Feb-19 22:09:29


DD lived at home as a student to save money, so this was not something she had considered. It has come as a shock to her, but it will cost her a lot of money. A valuable lesson in life I guess.

BackforGood Wed 27-Feb-19 22:09:31

I don't know why people are so surprised that this is surprise to the OP's dd.

tbf - it isn't going to be the first question when you are looking for somewhere to live, fresh out of university, starting your first job. You look if the room is big enough; you might look at parking or at public transport to work; you look at what the rent is; you might think to look to see if it is next door to a pub or above a takeaway; you look at the bathroom and the kitchen; and you chat to the other person and see if you think you can get on with them.

I was talking to a recent graduate quite recently who said she was shocked at how much council tax was, when she got her first bill. She said, she was kind of vaguely aware that there was a thing called council tax, but was just shocked how much it was. Never having had to pay it, it wasn't really on her radar.
Not that odd at all, IMO.

VanGoghsDog Wed 27-Feb-19 22:10:27

Students shouldn't have to pay any council tax as they usually don't earn any money.

Except it's not income tax. The student still has to pay other taxes despite no earnings - like VAT, car/road tax if they drive, tax on fuel, tax on insurance, tax on utilities, tax on flights, sugar tax.....

So, it's nothing to do with them not earning. I've no idea what it is to do with but it's not that.

Yes the formula is right. It's 75%.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 27-Feb-19 22:10:28

DD had expected the student's exemption to cover half the bill not just 25% of it.
The student exemption covers 100% of the bill. Your dd receives a 25% discount on the 100% of the bill that is owed.

mkmo Wed 27-Feb-19 22:11:04

Yes, that would be correct. Your DD is entitled to pay that money. She can apply for a council tax reduction if she is on a low income.

caringcarer Wed 27-Feb-19 22:11:30

When your dd was a student she was exempt from council tax. Now she is no longer a students and she is liable to pay 75% as a single person. The student is not liable to pay anything. This is life.

dementedpixie Wed 27-Feb-19 22:12:36

The 25% is due to the student not counting as another adult in the household. Your dd is getting the same council tax discount she would get if she lived there alone. If she's on a low wage she could see if she qualifies for council tax reduction too

Jon65 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:13:00

If your daughter is on a low wage she can apply for council tax benefit (reduction) and housing benefit. There is a calculator on her local authority's website, which will tell her if she would qualify.

caringcarer Wed 27-Feb-19 22:14:08

OP can you afford to help your dd out with some of the bill to help her get on her feet?

NotaSpringChicken Wed 27-Feb-19 22:16:47


Thank you, I will advise her to look into this.

It looks as if she can leave after 6 months, better to house share with other employed adults.


DD lived at home as a student with all bills paid, she is now learning about life the hard way. It is what it is.

Petalflowers Wed 27-Feb-19 22:18:37

My son moved out and got a job, rather than becoming a student. There’s a lot of things he had to consider, whichnstudents are automatically covered by their parents, or doesn’t apply to them. This includes contents insurance, tv licence, council tax, bills etc. There was a lot more to,sort out than I expected.

Alicesweewonders Wed 27-Feb-19 22:19:17

Like I mentioned, seek help from citizen's advice. I didn't have to pay it & I was in a similar situation. All the best OP

needthisthread Wed 27-Feb-19 22:19:46

I think this is just part and parcel of being an adult. Your DD has just had 4 years as a student where she was exempt. Presumably she was happy with that.

ivykaty44 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:22:53

OP your dd can apply on the council website for “council tax reduction” you will often be able to get a reduction if your wage is low and this is in addition to the 25% single person discount your dd is getting for being classed as the only adult in the household

NotaSpringChicken Wed 27-Feb-19 22:23:01


We have subsidised DD hugely over the last few years, but she needs to now be able to stand on her own two feet at last.

I posted for advice and will feed it back to her/show her the thread.

strawberriesandsugar Wed 27-Feb-19 22:24:01

Tbh it will be good for your dd to realise the cost of living as a non student. She didn't have that as a studen as she lived it home. It's an extra £30/40 a month (on top of her 50% share) for 10 months of the year.

ivykaty44 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:24:51

Perhaps mumsnet would like to put a book together for teaching adulting to teenagers and young people, how to live outside the family home what you need to know

PCohle Wed 27-Feb-19 22:25:53

I'm surprised this was a shock to your daughter. It's a certainly a well known issue amongst the 20 something flat-sharers I know. Lots of students choose not to live with young professionals because of it.

ivykaty44 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:28:02

Jon65 HB is only payable to people on state pension and people in supported living - ops dd wouldn’t fit that criteria. Though she could apply for U.C. But the UC doesn’t cover council tax reduction

Emergencycake Wed 27-Feb-19 22:33:53

I do think it's a crappy system, but unfortunately that's what it is. Your DD either accepts and pays or she finds working housemates.

ivykaty44 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:38:53

Op the tax is probably divided into 10 equal payments April - January
Your dd can request 12 payments to reduce the monthly outgoings and have payments from April - March. Obviously there will not be two months without payments but having a 12 month payment plan can make budgeting easier if money is tight

SheWoreBlueVelvet Wed 27-Feb-19 22:39:13

What amazes me is that the parents are sorting out their young adults living questions, even though the adults are obviously in no position to answer them.
What happened to kids moving out and being self reliant?
.I am staggered someone has done school, college and University and is still has no understanding how council tax works.
As neither apparently does her mother. This is pretty shocking actually.

It’s not a complicated law question.- it’s a household bill. What did everyone think poll tax riots were about. It’s a horribly unfair tax based on property value with no account for rental vs bought or personal income (aside from being in benefits).

NotTired Wed 27-Feb-19 22:41:24

The bill is correct if your DD and the student have a joint tenancy for the whole property. If your DD is renting a room with separate tenancies the landlord would be liable.

user1494050295 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:42:08

I had this and I was the mature student and a flat mate moved in who worked full time. The flat was owned by a family member. It was up front that she had to pay council tax. Of course when she moved in she then asked me to pay towards it (I refused) in part because she was paying about a third less than market rate

LaFreaka Wed 27-Feb-19 22:42:19

I was the student in my own home - I rented out a room to my friend who was on housing benefit - which made me liable for 75% of the council tax bill - I didn't realise and had no choice but to pay it - an expense mistake.

Cla9 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:43:02

Students are 100% exempt. The bill is solely your daughter’s but will have a 25% single person discount as she’s the only eligible adult.

WanderingDaffodil Wed 27-Feb-19 22:43:28

I'm sorry it's a surprise to her but it's been the clear situation for many years. Part of learning to stand on your own two feet!

GiantButtonsAreMyFave Wed 27-Feb-19 22:44:19

I graduated and moved into a houseshare where I was the only none student, I paid 75% council tax when all the other people paid £0. Your daughter isn't a student and so does not qualify for a discount. I returned to uni to do a higher degree living with my husband we again had to pay 75%, that's just how it works. You pay the same as what a single person living alone would pay. Our council tax is pretty high even with the discount but you have no choice but to pay it if you want to live in the real world.

She probably should have checked out what the housemate did before moving in. I knew before I moved into my houseshare years ago that I was the only one liable to pay council tax.

NotaSpringChicken Wed 27-Feb-19 22:44:29


Her elder brother lived out at uni and always shared with other students, so the issue never arose. She made this arrangement to share with a student herself, so will just have to learn from it.


It means she pays £57 a month extra on top of her 50% of the total bill. She has paid emergency tax on her first pay packet, so she is anxious about it all, but will have to learn to live with this.

I have noted and pointed out to her that her house share mate has moved her dog in, in spite of the tenancy agreement clearly stipulating no pets allowed. Agreeing to this may also bite her up the bum, but we learn by experience.

grannieanne Wed 27-Feb-19 22:46:20

I was the student in my own home - I rented out a room to my friend who was on housing benefit - which made me liable for 75% of the council tax bill - I didn't realise and had no choice but to pay it - an expense mistake.

If a bill is issued to a Houshold though, the Benefit Claimant is still liable although their portion of the bill is reduced through their Council Tax Support; there is still an element for them to pay... I know someone in this situation , full time student house sharing with someone claiming benefit and CT support..

NotaSpringChicken Wed 27-Feb-19 22:47:19


Quite agree was posting for information, thanks.

NotTired Wed 27-Feb-19 22:50:00

LaFreaka was the liable party as she was the owner of the property renting to her friend. The Council Tax hierarchy makes the owner liable over their lodger.

grannieanne Wed 27-Feb-19 22:53:14


Ahh, thanks, I never knew that... in the case of the person I know, the property is rented from a landlord.

Every day is a school day eh ? :-)

GottenGottenGotten Wed 27-Feb-19 22:53:52

I will never understand why council tax isn't per person but that's a whole other thread...

It used to be. It was called the community charge, and nicknamed the poll tax. It was incredibly unpopular and caused riots, and was more difficult to collect in part because it was very unpopular so people would move but not say where they were moving to, deliberately defaulting on payment.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 27-Feb-19 22:57:15

It means she pays £57 a month extra on top of her 50% of the total bill.
You keep mentioning her 50% , it is as much 100% her bill as her mobile bill is.

FlagranceDirect Wed 27-Feb-19 23:00:36

My daughter shared a large house with three students when she got her first job. And yes, she had to pay 75% council tax.
As all other bills were shared this had less impact than if she had rented on her own. It was difficult to find employed adults who are willing to house share in the area that she worked. So not much choice really. However, she went into it with the full knowledge of her council tax responsibility.

BonnieBea Wed 27-Feb-19 23:02:26

I was a full time student and lived with a friend who worked. I think as it was a friend I was happy to pay 50/50 although I was excempt from paying I paid the money into her account.. I guess she can't expect the student to pay unless there was a prior arrangement

Loanhelp Wed 27-Feb-19 23:05:58

Yeah unfortunately she's totally liable. My ex tried to fight this. He moved to uni with me, then we split and he didn't tell the council that he had left the property, I had moved my exemption cert elsewhere. They chased him only, never me, as I was a student and he wasn't. He even tried to take me to small claims for it, and lost, because I was never liable.

I hope she can get it sorted though!

Loanhelp Wed 27-Feb-19 23:06:01

Yeah unfortunately she's totally liable. My ex tried to fight this. He moved to uni with me, then we split and he didn't tell the council that he had left the property, I had moved my exemption cert elsewhere. They chased him only, never me, as I was a student and he wasn't. He even tried to take me to small claims for it, and lost, because I was never liable.

I hope she can get it sorted though!

howmanybiscuits Wed 27-Feb-19 23:15:40

I'm not sure people here are giving correct advice.

I sublet a room when I was a student, about 5 years ago, and looked into this then.

I was surprised to find that all members of the household would be equally liable for the bill if a non-student moved in.

It wasn't what I expected at all. It may be it varies by council, as I think these things are decided locally these days. But - I wonder how many people on this thread have actually asked their local council rather than assuming? I certainly assumed wrong!

Your DD should check this with the local council to establish her position.

ColdCottage Wed 27-Feb-19 23:16:21

Before she moved in did they discuss splitting all bills?

If so I think she could reasonably ask her co tenant to split this cost (even though they aren't legally required to pay). You daughter may not have chosen to move in if this extra cost has been discussed up front therefore leaving the other tenant without the option to move in.

I'd say ask if it were me.

Poloshot Wed 27-Feb-19 23:18:33

Sounds perfectly correct.

ivykaty44 Wed 27-Feb-19 23:24:36

You can get a 50% discount if no one classes as an adult - apprenticeship don’t always count as adults - but even this varies

Judystilldreamsofhorses Wed 27-Feb-19 23:29:55

I’m a lecturer, and weirdly, just had this conversation today. One of my students lives with a student who’s at another university. My student has been offered a job, and decided to take it, meaning he will no longer be a student, and now be responsible for the council tax on the shared flat. He was shocked, but at least warned!

PCohle Wed 27-Feb-19 23:30:34

I appreciate she has never been in this situation herself before, but it is a very common issue.

Did she not do any research into bills etc before agreeing to the flatshare? If she did she would almost certainly have found this scenario discussed.

Chocolatedeficitdisorder Wed 27-Feb-19 23:42:28

I will never understand why council tax isn't per person but that's a whole other thread...

I was a 17 yr old growing up in Scotland when we got the poll tax, a whole year ahead of England and Wales. I was earning £40pw and had a poll tax bill of £42pm. I couldn't afford to get to work, pay digs to my Mum and pay over 25% of my wages to poll tax.

It was the most cruel and unpopular tax and caused lots of legal issues for many people who were chased for years for poll tax debt they couldn't afford to pay in the beginning. The tax should come with property ownership/tenancy and not with individuals. - been there and done that.

Dungeondragon15 Wed 27-Feb-19 23:45:26

It's not fair because the house is bigger as a consequence of 2 people being in it and therefore will be liable for more council tax. She will end up paying a lot more than if she was living on her own in a smaller one bedroom house. It wouldn't be fair on the student if they had to pay either though.
It's a ridiculous system and I moved out of the house I was in when I got my first job because of it. Everyone else was still a student and this meant that I would have had to pay 75% of the tax on a 7 bedroom house which would have been a huge sum.

NotaSpringChicken Wed 27-Feb-19 23:47:26


Splitting bills equally was discussed and agreed upon. All that was discussed about council tax was that the student was exempt. DD did not realise this would mean she picked up 75% of this bill. To be fair we did not pick up on this either, lesson learned for all, she will have to pay.

I think if DD had known she would pick up 75% of the council tax bill it would have changed her decision to move in with this girl, but it is too late to change this. DD can move after the 6 month initial tenancy agreement to avoid further liability. This is the best option for her.

We also acted as Guarantors for DD. What we did not know as Guarantors was that the other girl intended to bring her dog which at the time of the agreement was living at her mother's house, 55 miles away. The dog has been moved in and now lives there, yet the tenancy agreement states NO PETS allowed in the property. I guess we can possibly report this to the estate agent as we did not enter into an agreement which included a dog also living there.

Pinkbells Wed 27-Feb-19 23:57:21

She is exempt so it would be unfair to ask her to pay.

FlagranceDirect Wed 27-Feb-19 23:58:54

The dog has been moved in and now lives there, yet the tenancy agreement states NO PETS allowed in the property

That would be a dealbreaker for me even if pets were allowed in the property.

Did your dd know about the dog?

TreesoftheField Thu 28-Feb-19 00:09:33

Again to stress what another poster mentioned earlier:
If they are all on one tenancy agreement they are liable for council tax.
If everyone in a houseshare has their own individual tenancy agreement with the landlord, then the landlord is responsible for council tax. The landlord can build this cost into the rent but can't expect the tenants to sort the bill.

ivykaty44 Thu 28-Feb-19 00:09:53

If the dd has signed 6 month tenancy - even if she moved out she’d still be liable for council tax. So dog or not the tax will still have to be paid

NotaSpringChicken Thu 28-Feb-19 00:12:32


According to the tenancy agreement which we signed as guarantors NO PETS were allowed. We did not sign up as guarantors to a pet being allowed and would therefore not agree to pay for any damage caused as a result of this.

ivykaty44 Thu 28-Feb-19 00:16:58 Op this may help with what trees said

Knitclubchatter Thu 28-Feb-19 00:19:41

OP i'm with you on this. if my dd was "sharing" and 50/50 bills discussed to me this would mean all bills.
no different than one claiming to only take cold showers and wash with cold water and refusing to pay for hot water.
but likewise i would expect the home owner to pay this and include such charges with the rent.

NotaSpringChicken Thu 28-Feb-19 00:39:20


Thank you. DD now knows that she is completely responsible for the council tax bill.

We will inform the letting agency that as guarantors, we did NOT sign up to a dog living in the property and will not be responsible for any damage caused by the dog. The student housemate doesn't have to contribute to the council tax, but we do not have to guarantee any damage caused by the dog either,

NCforthisoneb Thu 28-Feb-19 00:47:10

You sound very petty TBH.

PCohle Thu 28-Feb-19 00:49:30

The dog is a completely unrelated issue. Why are you trying to punish the other tenant for your failure to understand the implications of the council tax situation?

shpoot Thu 28-Feb-19 00:51:09

Wtf? The student is exempt. They do not have to pay!!

shpoot Thu 28-Feb-19 00:53:45

And now you're in a huff so you're reporting the dog. Your DD should probs have some say in that?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »