Talk

Advanced search

To put bars on my windows?

(65 Posts)
Doggydoggydoggy Wed 27-Feb-19 19:43:43

Is it even legal?

Live in a lovely house, in a nice enough street but burglaries are becoming more and more regular here...

Had the police over again today asking for CCTV footage.

I was thinking something like this?

mummyhaschangedhername Thu 28-Feb-19 19:03:19

I've been burgled, it was a year last Oct. it was horrific but I'd certainly chose that over a fire.

What I learnt though, get a good safe, limits the loss of expensive items. Keep blinds open, my neighbours have automatic lights and the blinds constantly open which I think deters more, but I'm not not sure I want to be that exposed.

We had CCTV but now we have more. An alarm helps too. We have a ring doorbell which alerts as when someone is near the door.

Makes yourself look busy, radios and dark barking devices.

The most important is secure windows and doors.

anniehm Thu 28-Feb-19 19:14:56

Double glazing is really hard to break into, mist burglaries are through windows left ajar, crow barring doors etc.

ChesterGreySideboard Thu 28-Feb-19 19:17:02

Where did you live to have a ‘rape gate’, I would just move?

LMW1990 Thu 28-Feb-19 19:21:19

I read bras not bars... disappointed now

As you were

GreenTulips Thu 28-Feb-19 19:21:22

You can buy metal shutters for inside the house that slide across the window to make it safe at night or when your out

They have a key

Look into that

MissTook Thu 28-Feb-19 19:44:48

A friend who lives in Spain says the burglars there will get in through
the roof if they can't get in any other way.

beanaseireann Thu 28-Feb-19 20:20:08

What's a rape gate ???

falcon5 Thu 28-Feb-19 21:08:12

Was country in Africa... super vague answer and vast continent but not here basically. Rape gate is what we called a barred metal door that was at the start of the bedroom area... the idea is it's another layer of security that if people get in the house they can take anything they want outside that zone and you are.another layer further in. Meant to buy more time.

falcon5 Fri 01-Mar-19 07:40:08

Sorry I killed it! I was thinking about this and I guess... you can and I understand why and would myself.in certain circumstances do a lot of things to improve home security. None of these things are as good as having good education system, active engaged community, police force that functions etc. (Someone cleverer than me could probably tell you lots more factors). Plus also once you get the fear, it's difficult to get rid of it regardless of what you do.... making your home "impenetrable" is a tall order.

Butchyrestingface Fri 01-Mar-19 07:47:14

GoGo - the one I know of is Glasgow. I think of it any time I see the bars. Think they might be illegal in Glasgow now, but not sure.

The one I’m thinking of was in Woodlands and two boys died. Terrible.

SileneOliveira Fri 01-Mar-19 07:51:09

Before spending money, call the local cop shop and ask if they have a crime prevention officer they can send round. They will audit your property, tell you where the weak spots are (if any) and give advice on things like there to position lights.

It's not about making your house like Fort Knox. It's about making it less attractive to scumbags than the other houses on your street.

Nothinglefttochoose Fri 01-Mar-19 07:54:02

Hideous. Get deadbolts and replace ground floor windows with toughened glass instead.

hinely Fri 01-Mar-19 07:55:45

They were on my flat in central London when I moved in but I removed them when the windows were replaced - they were very easy to remove, so professional thieves could probably remove them in many cases. But they're a visible deterrent.

I've not seen them that much in London but they're very common in European cities where you can see them painted nicely.

SavageBeauty73 Fri 01-Mar-19 08:13:11

Why don't you get an alarm wired to the police? I had ADT in my previous house.

WhenISnappedAndFarted Fri 01-Mar-19 08:33:19

We had bars on a rental flat before, I hadn't realised there were bars because everytime we looked round it was in the evening and the curtains were closed.

I hated it, it really concerned me about if there was a fire. If I had known there were bars I'd never have moved in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »