Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if Momo actually exists

(339 Posts)
Mammylamb Wed 27-Feb-19 18:36:47

Have any of you actually seen it for yourself? Or is it an internet hoax?

lifestooshortandsoami Wed 27-Feb-19 18:38:05

My kids haven't seen it directly but have a couple of friends who apparently have. It's been around for the last year or so.

BaaBaaBaaMoo Wed 27-Feb-19 18:38:32

Whether it is or is not no harm for people to be more aware of the dark side of the internet and supervise their young impressionable kids.

PreseaCombatir Wed 27-Feb-19 18:39:09

I haven’t seen it or heard my kids talk about it. Do want to mention it to them either, for fear of the Streisand effect.
That mask is terrifying though!

missyB1 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:40:21

Yes it does. A child in ds class came across it entirely by accident on a school pc. The child and teacher were horrified.

Mammylamb Wed 27-Feb-19 18:41:09

Absolutely we need to watch what our kids are looking at on the internet. DS is 3, so we’re not at the stage of him watching stuff on YouTube yet.

Just thinking that I don’t know anyone that has actually seen this Momo, and wondered if it is hysteria over nothing (when I was a kid in Glasgow it was the killer clowns)

Sparklingbrook Wed 27-Feb-19 18:42:12

I hadn't seen it til I Googled and my 17 year old DS didn't know what I was talking about when I asked him.

Prequelle Wed 27-Feb-19 18:42:31

It was an urban legend that's been around for a year or so, the media grabbed onto it, spread fear and now trolls are using it to attack children

If people had my bought into the media frenzy and got themselves worked up sharing it and panicking then it wouldn't have gained popularity, it would have remained a little known urban myth and kids wouldn't be coming across it.

DaedricLordSlayer Wed 27-Feb-19 18:43:02

I saw this on FB, it's site looking at what's fake news/scams/hoaxs or genuine.

www.thatsnonsense.com/is-the-momo-challenge-real-or-an-online-hoax-fact-check/

WingBingo Wed 27-Feb-19 18:43:29

I think this is less prolific than hysterical social media posts would have us believe.

user1474894224 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:45:03

Imo. ....hoax. Most news reports are duplicated. There is little 'evidence' just loads of hearsay. Everyone will tell you they know someone who told them X, y, z....show me some proof..... (The thing that gets me is why is everyone seemingly shocked that kids on the internet/WhatsApp/other technology can access scary stuff. That isn't new...) And AIBU to be really annoyed at all the forwarding of fake news about this...

DaedricLordSlayer Wed 27-Feb-19 18:45:46

PreseaCombatir it reminds me of the film Beatle juice.

Babygrey7 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:47:07

My teens say it just proves you should not let old people (us grin) near the internet, as this is a boring old hoax

Maybe some trolls have cottoned onto it now

People are so gullible about scary news

Thatsnotmyotter Wed 27-Feb-19 18:47:24

I think this is less prolific than hysterical social media posts would have us believe. This x 100.

I think it’s worth noting that ‘hackers’ aren’t likely to waste their time hacking into reputable content just to upset children. That’s a lot of effort for no real gain. So provided you actually check what your children are doing on the internet and understand how it works, you’re probably just fine.

Sunshinewithshowers123 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:48:07

@mammylambs this also reminded me of the killerclowns and Chelsea smiles! I guess we didn't actually see anything though, just our imaginations and the fear of any passing vans! Now the image of momo is splashed all over the papers with everyone talking about it.

Strawberrypancakes Wed 27-Feb-19 18:48:18

My daughter has seen it in videos.

KatnissKringle Wed 27-Feb-19 18:51:39

I thought this was a horror film? I didn't think it was real.

elloelloello Wed 27-Feb-19 18:55:23

We’ve had a letter from my kids high school today about Momo on the advice of the local police.

I’ve spoken to my kids, they’ve heard of it but not seen it

Aragog Wed 27-Feb-19 18:55:54

There appears to be no solid evidence that it is actually appearing mid videos randomly. Although some children are reporting seeing it, there are no actually screen snaps of videos with it suddenly being there, from what I have seen. Many of the fake or not type of sites, and ICT guru type sites are still saying similar to the one posted above.

More media led frenzy than any actual substance.

sagradafamiliar Wed 27-Feb-19 18:56:30

No, it's bollocks. And now I have to sit down and have a chat to my 7 year old about it thanks to her school bringing it to her attention and linking it to childhood suicide.

GrandTheftWalrus Wed 27-Feb-19 18:56:38

There was a video posted on the daily record fb page of a woman who had seen it popping up during a peppa pig video however there was no peppa pig just the momo thing.

Surely she'd have recorded the whole thing to show it?

karigan Wed 27-Feb-19 19:02:13

I stopped my school from sending out a letter in the kid's diaries today. There's no better way to get a bunch of teenagers googling something than sending them home with a letter about something they shouldn't be looking for.

School are going to email parents instead but with a link to the snopes article that says it's basically a media perpetuated fad.

Last year it was blue whale that would lead to hundreds of teenagers killing themselves, now it's this. Next year it'll be something else.

thesnapandfartisinfallible Wed 27-Feb-19 19:02:17

I've seen it a couple of times. It's basically the YouTube equivalent of a chain letter. Pops up halfway through something innocuous and tells you if you don't do something then Momo will kill you. One told me to text a photo of a credit card to some random number, the other wanted me to add a random profile on Facebook and told me Momo could see me.

One was halfway through a Pokemon Y walkthrough video and the other I can't remember what I was watching. You just report the videos to YouTube and they will delete it. It's just idiots using a scary photo to scam people.

I can see why it would scare a young child

KittiKat Wed 27-Feb-19 19:05:23

It's a HOAX. A great big internet hoax.

Ffsnosexallowed Wed 27-Feb-19 19:09:44

It's a hoax. Dd came out of school today upset because of it and told me that some children were crying because of how scared they were. I explained that it wasn't real, that she had nothing to be frightened off and that our usual computer rules applied. All good. Until she saw it plastered over the front of our local paper. Ffs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »