Talk

Advanced search

Is this usual with baked potatoes?

(111 Posts)
Home77 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:18:00

DC went to MIL's and had the most amazing baked potatoes and not they want them the same.

It's a right faff. First potatoes need baked then you scoop put the potato and mash it. (at the same time you put the skins back in the oven to crisp them). You mask it with butter and cheese and then take the skins out and scoop it back in...and then grate cheese on top and bake it again.

I am so fed up doing this and it is all they want to eat now. Argh. Do others do this for baked potatoes also as DH says they have always had them like this.

FissionChip5 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:19:19

Buy them ready made from Iceland.

Bubblysqueak Wed 27-Feb-19 18:19:49

I've had them like that in restaurant's, they call them potato skins. I like them with sour cream and chives and cheese and bacon (or I did before dairy allergy)

EssentialHummus Wed 27-Feb-19 18:19:55

This sounds superlatively faffy. I sometimes boil for 15 min, shake up then bake - that’s as far as I’ll go!

maslinpan Wed 27-Feb-19 18:20:03

They are very delicious. You could bake a large batch and freeze them for next time?

sackrifice Wed 27-Feb-19 18:20:54

That is exact;y how i do them. I wouldn't have them any other way.

Singlenotsingle Wed 27-Feb-19 18:21:00

Sounds yum but I don't think I could be bothered with it.

Home77 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:22:13

They are nice i admit. My heart sinks a bit though and trying to reserve them for say once or twice a week!

WarpedGalaxy Wed 27-Feb-19 18:23:18

Double-baked or twice-baked potatoes they call them here, they are delicious but yes, a faff.
Sorry OP, I'm totally down with the least amount of effort possible when it comes to food but gonna have to side with your dc here, once you've had them like this there's no going back.

aristocat Wed 27-Feb-19 18:24:46

I'd call these stuffed potatoes.
They are a bit of effort but so delicious 😋

Isleepinahedgefund Wed 27-Feb-19 18:25:40

Definitely on the list of yum but can't be bothered for me! Not once or twice a week anyway.

Making batches and freezing is a good plan if they're that popular in your house.

MeredithGrey1 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:26:17

I do it sometimes, I also add herbs (and sometimes chopped up bits of fried bacon) to the mash before scooping back into the skins. It’s definitely an occasional thing though, not every time I have a baked potato.

HolidayQ Wed 27-Feb-19 18:26:17

I only microwave mine shock so couldnt be bothered doing all that

MamaLovesMango Wed 27-Feb-19 18:26:24

I make these from tome to time with a bit of fried onion and bacon mixed in. They’re great but yes, a faff. I think you can buy them frozen.

RandomMess Wed 27-Feb-19 18:26:36

Buy Vivaldi potatoes from Sainsbury's they are the best ever for jackets and hopefully be good enough to avoid having to do skins every time...

Alternatively just say they are a treat at MILs grin

Tanaqui Wed 27-Feb-19 18:27:07

Yes they are the best like that! I do with bacon and sweetcorn, or with tuna and sweetcorn and mayo- it’s the mashing yo and putting back in that makes all the difference!

HunterHearstHelmsley Wed 27-Feb-19 18:27:27

My mum used to make these for me! Bloody lovely. I need some now.

If I do them, I bung them in the microwave for the second "bake". Because I'm a lazy cow.

tapdancingmum Wed 27-Feb-19 18:28:17

We've just had this for dinner. Mashed with onion and bacon and out back into the skins. This was one of my favourite dinners from being a child and they are now dd2's favourite.

No faff - cut in half, oven glove on and hold potato whilst scooping with a spoon into a bowl. Salt, pepper and butter to mash then mix it all up and pop back into the skins.

Purpleartichoke Wed 27-Feb-19 18:29:05

Twice baked potatoes.

We do a shortcut method. Bake the potatoes. Scoop the insides and mix with cream, cheese, etc. then put it all in a casserole dish and bake. Much easier and tastes the same.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Wed 27-Feb-19 18:29:24

I do this occasionally - but when I do, the baked potatoes are the main element of the meal, served with salad. I wouldn’t do it if the potatoes were a side dish - in that case, I just fluff up the potato’s insides with a fork and add plenty of butter. I love baked potatoes either way, but the first way is definitely more faff.

Springiscomingsoon Wed 27-Feb-19 18:30:08

Ooo I am going to try these, thanks for the recipe wink.
I normally microwave them then put them in the oven to crisp up (drizzled with olive oil and a bit of salt). They are lovely like that.

sulflower Wed 27-Feb-19 18:30:26

First potatoes need baked then you scoop put the potato and mash it. (at the same time you put the skins back in the oven to crisp them). You mask it with butter and cheese and then take the skins out and scoop it back in...and then grate cheese on top and bake it again.

Oh crap, just read this bit out to my husband and now he wants some made like this. I told him he can make them at the weekend grin

sulflower Wed 27-Feb-19 18:31:19

I normally microwave them then put them in the oven to crisp up (drizzled with olive oil and a bit of salt)

That's how I usually make them.

Hollowvictory Wed 27-Feb-19 18:31:26

@Bubbkysqueak it's not potato skins. They are where the baked potato is scooped out but leave a thick layer still , then deep fried then topped with a topping eg bacon and cheese and grilled.

altiara Wed 27-Feb-19 18:31:49

I used to occasionally do this but when mashing the potato with butter and cheese, I’d add grated carrot, chopped onion and pepper. Was amazing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »