Talk

Advanced search

Lovely weather?

(10 Posts)
Traynorbird Wed 27-Feb-19 14:50:39

Its so nice to have warm weather and see the spring bulbs coming up, but I have this awful creeping sense of doom about climate change. That the world we will leave our children will not be able to sustain them. That we will reach a tipping point before there is any meaningful government action. Does anyone else have this nagging pit of the stomach fear? What kinds of action do you take?
Long time lurker - but I've not seen any threads about this

StealthPolarBear Wed 27-Feb-19 14:52:02

I felt the same. However the bbc the other day seemed to suggest it was normal (not typical for this time but not worrying)

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Wed 27-Feb-19 14:53:53

Weather patterns alter all the time. 'One offs' are not indicative of climate change. Long sustained bouts of change may well be.

BitchQueen90 Wed 27-Feb-19 15:07:24

This weather isn't going to last. Temperatures are dropping tomorrow and rain is coming. If it were a long spell of nice weather then I'd be concerned but it's just a freak one off.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Wed 27-Feb-19 15:11:04

Yes, look stateside , 8 foot slow drifts and Niagra River is frozen, throwing up ice chuncks the size of houses

edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/02/25/niagara-river-wind-ice-retaining-wall-newsource-orig.cnn

HoppityFrog3 Wed 27-Feb-19 15:21:34

Climate change is real, but it's happening, and there's nothing we can do about it. The biggest offenders (USA, India, China) have no intention of changing their ways, and seeing as they take up almost half of the world's population, why the hell should anyone else bother?

This is weirdly warm, summery weather for February, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it; it's not the 'new normal' it's just freak weather. Last year, we had a 5-6 month long winter. So this isn't the 'new normal.' If this was the 6th or 7th February that we had had temps of 20 C, then it would be a bit more worrying

Chill. smile Because there is nothing you can do about it anyway. The world has been through a lot, including several ice ages. We coped then. We will cope again. With anything.

Lwg87 Wed 27-Feb-19 15:32:17

I’m with you OP - I can’t quite allow myself to enjoy it. Everything is getting more extreme and I quite liked how it was before. We were fine in big coats, thick socks and wellies during February and now people are sitting out in shorts and t shirt... it’s not right or normal

IvanaPee Wed 27-Feb-19 15:34:25

It’s not normal. It’s awful. But making ourselves sick worrying about it won’t help!

Traynorbird Thu 28-Feb-19 07:57:50

Has anyone found positive actions they can do, rather than just worrying? I found this site:

lornagold.com/take-action/

I couldn't give up my job or do the sort of stuff she does, but I could write to my MP, or do a Friday strike or something. I'm sick of feeling powerless about this!

TheClaifeCrier Thu 28-Feb-19 08:02:32

The world has been through a lot, including several ice ages. We coped then. We will cope again. With anything.

The world will be just fine. Humans and animals not so much.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: