Talk

Advanced search

GP catchment area

(11 Posts)
jcmayj Wed 27-Feb-19 13:46:11

Posting for traffic

Me and DP moved house a few months ago, I stayed with my current GP who are very good but left my registered address with them at my mothers, as I am out of their catchment area at my new postcode.

DPs current GP practice are terrible, he needs an appointment but cannot get through at all and in the past they have not been able to offer him an appointment when he has finally gotten through to him.

As a completely new patient, could he register at my GP with our new postcode? I'm not sure if I read something online that new patients have the right to sign up even if they are not in the catchment area

swingofthings Wed 27-Feb-19 13:54:12

You can try but they might say no on the basis they wouldn't be able to do home visits (even when they never do one). Your practice could do the and with you when they find out your real address. Have you also given your mum's address to the hospital?

Tomtontom Wed 27-Feb-19 13:59:45

In England GP surgeries don't usually have catchment areas now, although they can refuse to register you if they're full or they don't feel it clinically appropriate.

Not sure about Wales, Scotland, NI.

jcmayj Wed 27-Feb-19 14:12:11

My GP are aware of my new address when I initially asked to change it on their records they sent me a letter stating I'd have to find a new practice.

I called them and asked if I could change my address back to my mothers and they said this was fine, there were no issues

jcmayj Wed 27-Feb-19 14:12:30

@swingofthings yes hospital have my mothers address

ATBhinchers Wed 27-Feb-19 14:14:45

They do still work on catchment areas if your new address comes under a different council. We moved only 2 miles from our GP and had to change doctors as we are now under a different council. It relates to cost and some councils offer stuff free and some don't I.e incontinence pads etc

jcmayj Wed 27-Feb-19 14:16:27

@ATBhinchers that makes sense actually as my new postcode actually isn't far from my GP but we are now under a new council

swingofthings Wed 27-Feb-19 14:17:32

My town gp practices are divided under clear catchment areas and they won't take you on if your not their area. Saying that some adresses, will fall under a number of them. I think I could register to 4 different ones.

ATBhinchers Wed 27-Feb-19 14:19:46

That's why you have to change then. Problem solved grin

anniehm Wed 27-Feb-19 14:20:20

It depends if you are in a different ccg area as that affects funding .

jcmayj Wed 27-Feb-19 14:36:20

Ah thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »