Talk

Advanced search

AIBU: Dairylee or Dairylea!

(63 Posts)
sapientia99 Wed 27-Feb-19 10:40:37

My childhood is destroyed, my mind blown. Am I the only one who thought Dairylea was spelt and said Dairylee!?! DAIRYLEE is what my mum said, DAIRYLEE is what my friends said but now I find out that it was DairyleA all along! There's an A...an A! I think we need to petition immediately to have it changed to Dairylee...

BertieBotts Wed 27-Feb-19 17:02:45

It's nutella in British English. Noo-tella in non English speaking countries where the word for nut is something different, and also America because apparently the Americans copy the German, or something?

IForgotThisEvening Wed 27-Feb-19 17:52:44

Noo and New sound the same in my accent.

It’s on the FAQ section of their website.

GlitterPixie Wed 27-Feb-19 17:54:38

grin @Houseonahill

lumpinmythroat Wed 27-Feb-19 18:01:05

If you’ve just learned to read then yeah it might come as a shock

Slowknitter Wed 27-Feb-19 18:01:18

What on earth are you on about, OP? It's always been spelt Dairylea, and 'lee' is pronounced exactly the same as 'lea' anyway!

I knew about Nutella, but I pronounce it like 'nut' because that's how it's pronounced in the UK. The company knows this, so that's why they use the 'nut' pronunciation in the UK.

BananasAreTheSourceOfEvil Wed 27-Feb-19 18:08:49

What about Lidl?

Adverts for them pronounce it Lee-dle but I always say lid-l

Slowknitter Wed 27-Feb-19 18:12:18

Yes but Leedl is basically just Lidl said with a German accent. It's not that much of a shift from an English 'i'.

Ellisandra Wed 27-Feb-19 21:44:54

The OP is not going to come back grin

SparkiePolastri Wed 27-Feb-19 22:20:49

It's not like it's some sort of elaborate subterfuge @sapientia99 .

It's printed right there on the packet, and it's pronounced the same, regardless.

😂

jcmayj Wed 27-Feb-19 22:27:36

It's always been spelt LEA

Justajot Wed 27-Feb-19 22:30:30

Surely Dairylee is just a bloke with a whiff of cheese about him.

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 28-Feb-19 07:10:12

Has anyone tasted it recently it's horrible, I thought I'd bought a faulty tub cos it was sloppy when I opened it

Did you buy the low fat version by mistake? That's a horrible shock if you're used to the real thing.

BejamNostalgia Thu 28-Feb-19 07:14:14

I was distraught when I discovered Cornflakes weren’t called Cornerflakes so I feel your pain. But I was 8.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »