Talk

Advanced search

To ask coping methods for Vaccines

(22 Posts)
Mummyto2munchkins Wed 27-Feb-19 08:41:18

DD has her pre school jabs today.
I really don't think she's going to be OK with them.

Does anybody have any idea to help her cope or to pre occupy her mind with them?
(I've roped my mum to come over for the day... She LOVES her nanny, so hoping this may settle her a bit)

Littlebelina Wed 27-Feb-19 08:45:18

She is old enough for a treat afterwards, perhaps something she usually doesn't get. Since the day looks nice again is there an ice cream parlour near you?

It's also the last set of injections for a long time now (next set is hpv when they are a preteen I think?) so you can reassure afterwards and if you do go down the bribery route you don't have to worry about setting a precedent.

Good luck

PolarBearDisguisedAsAPenguin Wed 27-Feb-19 08:47:07

I told DD that she needed to have medicine in her arms and took along a packet of sweets for her as a treat. She had a whimper over one of the injections but nothing else and was absolutely fine afterwards.

It really wasn’t as bad as I thought.

Hoviscats Wed 27-Feb-19 08:47:33

I have tended to just say we have to go to the Dr today for a checkup and then only once we get there say that there are going to be some injections.... I say they will only hurt for a minute and it will stop you getting really poorly. Promise a cake/chocolate/CBeebies comic or whatever as a treat afterwards and that's it!

Yes there is still a lot of wailing and crying but I don't think there is a lot to be gained personally from making them aware ahead of time, other than a load of worry (and extra crying!). Good luck!

CheerfulMuddler Wed 27-Feb-19 08:50:15

They're really quick.
Also, unless you've been on holidays which need jabs or she's had injections for some other medical reason, she probably won't understand what they are until they happen iyswim.
I told DS we were going to the doctors to have injections and then we were going for ice cream. He totally fixated on the ice cream - I don't think he realised what an injection was although I did warn him they would hurt.
When we got there he chatted happily to the nurse until the first needle went in and then he cried and yelled "Too prickly, Mummy!"
I think this was the first time he realised what was happening. The nurse very quickly said "Okay, one more," and I held his arm down and I said "Nearly done!" She jabbed in it and then we went for ice cream.
It happens so fast, she probably won't realise it isn't a treat until it's over and then you can do something nice and it will be a treat.

Mummyjsa Wed 27-Feb-19 08:51:09

Once mine were that age I always told them it would hurt a bit, but to be brave and we will be off for a treat afterwards.

gamerwidow Wed 27-Feb-19 08:51:18

Don’t mention it before hand that only builds up fear unnecessarily. Just be breezy and relaxed going to the doctors if she asks what’s going to happen say it’s just a quick visit to get your shots we’ll be just be in and out what do you want to do afterwards.
Most of the fear will come from you not her.
DD is very fearful of splinters and needles etc. but was always fine for vaccinations apart from a brief cry when the needle went in because we never made a big deal out of it.

gamerwidow Wed 27-Feb-19 08:53:53

I personally wouldn’t tell them if would hurt a bit. I know if I said this to my DD all she would hear is this will hurt.

Mummyto2munchkins Wed 27-Feb-19 08:54:33

We mentioned last night were picking her up early from nursery as she needs to go to the doctors. She has her Vaccines and if she's a big brave girl ill take her to buy a magazime (she always says it wrong but it's so cute) and a donut.. She got excited about the magazine so may keep repeating that when we get there to make her focus on being "brave" she did ask if they'll give her a sticker for being a good girl? I said they may do but not sure they have any.. (may have to take some incase!)

OKBobble Wed 27-Feb-19 08:54:38

She will probably be absolutely fine if you don't make a big deal about it.

MatildaTheCat Wed 27-Feb-19 08:55:43

It’s all about how you approach it. Very matter of fact, tell them as late as possible and explain it’s medicine to get ready for big school and go for a small treat after.

During the very quick procedure distract her by talking about something she’s interested in in a calm voice and remain upbeat. Small amount of sympathy and praise after.

It shouldn’t be a big deal. Don’t pass on your fears, vaccination is a part of life.

GiantButtonsAreMyFave Wed 27-Feb-19 08:57:01

I've got to take my 3 year old in a few weeks, I'm not planning on telling her until we are there. I'll buy her a little toy or something and give it to her immediately before. She had an accident when she was 2 1/2 and had to go to have it redressed (a burn) a few times, we used this method and it worked a treat distracting her. It obviously hurt far more than a tiny jab, so I'm sure it'll be fine for vaccinations.

caughtinanet Wed 27-Feb-19 08:57:26

It would depend on why you think she won't cope, are there some additional needs/previous experience with injections?

I just said we need to have injections, you might feel a bit of a sting and be a bit sore. I'm now thinking I must be a bad parent as I never thought about a treat or reward afterwards. I was brought up with a very no nonsense attitude and I can see that I and my siblings have carried that on with our own DC.

OMGithurts Wed 27-Feb-19 09:03:17

DH took DD. He lobbed a Kinder egg - a rare and much coveted treat! - at her when they went in so she barely noticed the nurse doing the jabs. Dress them in short sleeves with a cardi or hoodie over the top, take top layer off in the waiting room then it's easy as anything.

CMOTDibbler Wed 27-Feb-19 09:07:02

Packet of sweets on the table in front of them. Hold them on your lap with your arms round and its all over in a moment and they concentrate on the sweets in front of them, then on eating them after. I told ds right when we were in the waiting room

TheSandgroper Wed 27-Feb-19 09:07:36

I always prepped DD well for anything. For these vaccinations, I told her that day what the plan was, that it didn't have to hurt, that mummy had had them previously but that it was her turn this time and that we might see a friend down there if we got lucky with the queue.

For this type of thing, pragmatism, pragmatism, pragmatism is the way to go. It worked well for us and never a problem.

werideatdawn Wed 27-Feb-19 09:08:40

Just try not to make it a thing. I told mine on the day "we're going to the doctor for your jabs", went to the appointment, they did the jabs super quick, a few tears and job done. My DD was quite cross and said "that ackly hurt" I said "yeah I know mate... never mind here's a lollipop". All was forgiven👍

lau888 Wed 27-Feb-19 09:13:20

Don't make a fuss about it. Give her a square of chocolate after the jabs. Each vaccination feels like a tiny quick scratch and is over in seconds. The sugar (from chocolate or breastmilk if they're still quite young) soothes them almost instantaneously. x

OneStepSideways Wed 27-Feb-19 09:20:02

I disagree with telling them in advance it will hurt, they only get worked up over it. I told mine why she needed to have it and she was fine, no crying just flinched a bit. If you don't make a big deal out of it they won't. I don't think it's helpful to tell them to be brave, as it makes out it's a big scary event instead of something quick and routine.

My DD has watched me get injections and blood tests a few times, I make a point of not flinching and explaining what the nurse is doing.

OP try not to dramatise it, just play it down as if it's a very ordinary boring thing like going to the dentist. Good luck!

Mummyto2munchkins Wed 27-Feb-19 17:49:41

Thanks all for the advice. The nurses were already on distraction and had a "certificate" for her to chose from. There was a few tears and moaning her arm hurts but a toy and a trip to the park later she's fine!

Lllot5 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:31:51

My grandson has type 1 diabetes. Has two injections a day I’m sure they’ll be fine.

SinkGirl Wed 27-Feb-19 18:36:28

One of my twins has had regular blood tests from birth, and we have to test his blood sugars daily. They’re only 2.5 - his twin now needs a blood test and I’m absolutely petrified, he’s not used to it and much more aware of things than his brother.

I developed my needle phobia about that age when I had my tonsils out so anything you can do to help keep things calm is a good idea - something sweet to suck on is a good idea

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: