Talk

Advanced search

Premenstrual dysphoric disorder

(16 Posts)
minime01 Tue 26-Feb-19 22:41:08

I've just been told by gynaecologist that they think I Premenstrual dysphoric disorder - just wondering if anyone has this or knows someone who has this form of pms

Fiveredbricks Tue 26-Feb-19 22:45:28

Can you elaborate on why they think you have it?

steff13 Tue 26-Feb-19 22:46:50

I do. Zoloft is a lifesaver for me.

Chouetted Tue 26-Feb-19 22:51:46

I think I have this, but I don't get any extra treatment for it as I'm on antidepressants anyway, and I didn't get on with the pill. I would go into further details but it might trigger other people.

Do you have any specific questions?

HowlsMovingBungalow Tue 26-Feb-19 22:53:26

Anti-depressants didn't work for me. A hysterectomy did - all the same symptoms mentally and horrendous physical ones - gone as soon month 2 without a womb.

minime01 Tue 26-Feb-19 23:16:40

It's stated about a year and half ago never had any problems before but I genuinely feel poorly most days of the month. The only time I feel ok is while on. Nights sweats day sweats anxiety dizzy feeling off I've stopped driving with my child in the car because it panics me. They've told me to come of pill for two months do a dairy and given some antidepressants for the anxiety. I can genuinely say I no longer feel like me. I'm 36 so they think I'm to young for menopause but will test for that after 6 months of the pill
It's just so strange that all this I feel is that

HowlsMovingBungalow Tue 26-Feb-19 23:21:28

I had my hysterectomy at 31 ( not an easy option, but had had 2 children by then and didn't want anymore ) I can remember the rages I had, the utter red hot anger. Not felt them since I was 31. I'm in my 40's now - no rage whatsoever.

BusySnipingOnCallOfDuty Tue 26-Feb-19 23:44:43

Is this the one referred to as PMDD?

My friend has a formal diagnosis of it and I believe I have it but your description doesn't sound like us.

Both my friend and I become very angsty, suicidal and unreasonable in a very hyped up manner, when hit with our PMT. Among other things. It all but disappears as you begin to menstruate.

Its possible I don't know as much as I thought about it, or that the name is similar to my friends diagnosis.

Chouetted Wed 27-Feb-19 00:19:09

My experience is very similar to Busy's - the dysphoria is very short, very intense, and very premenstrual - the day I start bleeding I'm a lot better and the day after I'm cured (until next month...).

I've had it since I was a teenager, and I expect to deal with it until menopause. It's not really a biggy for me now that I have coping strategies.

What you have does sound a little different, but I wouldn't worry too much about the name if you've only just started treatment.

minime01 Wed 27-Feb-19 02:47:35

I keeper thinking it's the change especially with the sweats OMG the are awful but they won't be testing for that for 6 months sad

SickOfBeingTired2019 Wed 27-Feb-19 03:26:25

Chouetted, what are your coping strategies?

SubparOwl Wed 27-Feb-19 06:40:48

I do. I am on Sertraline anyway and my GP told me she has a couple of patients who take a larger dose for the last two weeks of their cycle. Not tried it myself.

Chouetted Wed 27-Feb-19 06:52:07

@SickOfBeingTired Mostly just explaining to people, apologising a lot, and assuring them that it is a) ok to ask me if I might be due on, and b) also ok to walk away and leave me to argue with the wall. Most people are surprisingly prosaic about it - I think it helps that it is for such a short time that they can tell it is genuinely out of character. Of course, this being AIBU, we risk people piling in to tell me I'm a manipulative abusive bitch who's just excusing her behaviour, but even if it does qualify as abusive red flags, there isn't realistically a lot I can do about my hormones.

Realistically, I'm never going to be able to stop my behaviour from impacting on others, but I can do my utmost to make sure that the impact is only temporary.

Chouetted Wed 27-Feb-19 06:56:13

@SickOfBeingTired i also have a pact with myself not to attempt suicide until at least 48 hours have passed. That's enough time to get me through it, and I'm stubborn about sticking to it (I'm autistic, so don't like to break promises, even if they're only to myself).

SickOfBeingTired2019 Wed 27-Feb-19 08:57:31

Thanks for replying. Thats good people are prosaic about it x

Iooselipssinkships Wed 27-Feb-19 09:47:38

I have it. I'm on Venlafaxine anyway for PTSD/Depression and also take Yasmin for PMDD. It's a newer form of contraceptive pill using synthetic hormones. Absolute life saver, for me at least.
I too was suicidal and horrible 3 out of 4 weeks, it was only during ovulation time I felt alright.
Hope you manage to get it under control, I know how horrendous it is.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: